Talk

Advanced search

What would you buy (won £250 JL voucher)

(23 Posts)
LajesticVantrashell Sat 09-Nov-19 11:13:56

So I won a competition at work the other day and the prize was a £250 John Lewis voucher.

I have a big milestone birthday next week and want to treat myself to something nice but am completely lacking in inspiration! I'm worried I'm going to end up spending it on Christmas gifts for everyone else - this used to happen every year with my birthday money when I was younger.

I don't need a handbag (DH has bought me a gorgeous Lulu Guinness one for my birthday). Any other ideas?

CoffeeWithMyOxygen Sat 09-Nov-19 11:16:00

Do you like coffee? You could get a really nice coffee machine. Or some other kitchen gadget.

raspberryk Sat 09-Nov-19 11:16:04

I would use it for the Christmas pressies but also take out the 250 from your bank in cash and keep it by for whatever you fancy. Doesn't have to be from JL then.

LajesticVantrashell Sat 09-Nov-19 11:18:51

Alas I'm one of those weird people who don't drink tea or coffee!

Hulahoopqueen Sat 09-Nov-19 11:33:51

A really nice pair of shoes or boots maybe? Some gorgeous leather ones that will last and last.
A piece of jewellery?
DP says lawnmower 🤔

CactusAndCacti Sat 09-Nov-19 11:38:40

Right now I'd buy boots as mine are leaky (though super comfy) orbi would buy a nice lamp.

AiryFairy1 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:44:20

If you’d like a wardrobe update you could book a personal styling session to give you some ideas?
A new coat is something I’m looking for! And boots!
Definitely spend it on something for you though.

Ihatesundays Sat 09-Nov-19 11:45:50

Winter coat?

Ihatesundays Sat 09-Nov-19 11:46:56

Or great quality bedding

Floralnomad Sat 09-Nov-19 11:47:56

At the moment I’d keep hold of it and put it towards the dishwasher I will be buying in December when dh has finished moving the kitchen around .

Liz79 Sat 09-Nov-19 11:48:52

Cordless Hoover 🤦‍♀️the idea of buying yourself something elsewhere and getting Xmas pressies from jl is a good idea.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 09-Nov-19 11:49:46

I'd go coat or boots or both

TwattingDog Sat 09-Nov-19 11:52:05

Can you use it in Waitrose as well?

Have a massive Christmas splurge and get all the food and booze?

Buy umpteen bottles of nice champagne and open them from time to time, just because.

Buy a bouquet of flowers for yourself every week.

In JL, replace your make up with higher end things than you'd normally buy.

New bedding.

OliviaBenson Sat 09-Nov-19 12:01:30

John Lewis have personal shoppers so I would book a session with them and treat myself.

LajesticVantrashell Sat 09-Nov-19 12:01:31

@TwattingDog - I didn't realise I could use it in Waitrose! Ooooh that does change things...

DC3dilemma Sat 09-Nov-19 12:56:50

I would go for a big ticket classic, luxury item that would last. As a parent of 3 I often feel really shabby and un-put-together due to putting the kids first. Throwing a beautiful coat over my shabbiness would have really lasting value for me!

But practically speaking, it would be an easy way to get everyone else’s Christmas presents...sigh...

Disfordarkchocolate Sat 09-Nov-19 12:58:36

I'd be so happy to get presents out of the way, but if I had to spend it on me I'd get a mother of the groom outfit.

FFSnotanotherone Sat 09-Nov-19 13:28:10

Sonos speaker.
Lumi sunrise clock.
Perfume.
Massive fuck off diptyque candle.
12 bottles of nice wine from Waitrose - one for each month over the next year.
Overhaul your make up.
Winter coat.

Equimum Sat 09-Nov-19 14:02:03

I would buy a classic winter coat.

Palavah Sat 09-Nov-19 14:09:17

Silk pyjamas. The Liberty catalogue just arrived and I'm now covering some.

TheyMostlyComeOutAtNightMostly Sat 09-Nov-19 15:21:33

New raincoat.
Put it towards a new dishwasher
New watch
Spend it on Christmas presents and put an equivalent sum in cash in a savings account named “Lajestic’s Replacement Handbag”

JaneR0chester Sat 09-Nov-19 15:24:42

Champagne or gin from Waitrose, something extra delicious for Christmas maybe.

JaneR0chester Sat 09-Nov-19 15:26:12

Or a set of Clarins massages, they some times sell 3 for the price of 2 and there's no time limit on them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »