Talk

Advanced search

Job Advertised FT can I apply as PT?

(30 Posts)
HelloCheeky Sat 09-Nov-19 09:26:46

The perfect, permanent job has come up at the large organisation where I have been working on an hourly paid basis. I exactly fit the person specification, I have wanted to have this kind of role at this particular place for years and I know I would be really good at it!

However, the post is advertised as being FT and I can only work PT as I am caring for DM who has dementia and studying for a qualification listed as 'desirable' in the person spec. There is no mention of PT applications or job share applications being welcome. I have emailed HR to ask if PT applications would be considered and have had no response. Would I be wasting their time if I applied, or is it worth doing?

alphaechokiwi Sat 09-Nov-19 09:31:19

I would apply and see what happens. I applied for a FT role in the summer, although at the moment I can only work 30hrs a week. I was offered it and I explained that I would like to accept if I could do it on a 30hrs per week basis. They discussed it internally and came back to me a few days later to say ok. I've just started and I'm so glad I took the chance. Go for it..... nothing ventured nothing gained.

Dyrne Sat 09-Nov-19 09:31:22

I would apply and just make clear in the covering letter that you’re looking for a part time position (play up the fact that you’re studying for the desirable qualification).

At worst they’ll just say no; at best it 1) Shows the organisation you’re keen for a permanent role there; and 2) might make the hiring manager consider some options and be open to part time applicants

Hefzi Sat 09-Nov-19 09:32:46

Where I work (university) they would say no if it wasn't in the spec - but this is apparently something to do with public sector hiring and "fairness" (because there would be people who hadn't asked and were thus excluded from the information): I don't know if all the public sector is like this, but I would think it would make more sense to have a punt on it if it's the private sector as a result. But they may yet get back to you - though actually, I would give them a ring and ask. More likely to get an answer that way smile

HelloCheeky Sat 09-Nov-19 09:41:00

Thanks for the reply. It is a university! It's such a big organisation spread over different sites and I have no idea who I would call. That's why I tried email. My feeling is that if they read my application they will find out more about me and even if they can't consider me for this role they will then bear me in mind next time they need someone. On the other hand I don't want to irritate them by applying for something I am obviously not available to do.

flowery Sat 09-Nov-19 09:44:23

If you’re already working there can’t you contact the manager and have a chat? HR in the context of a big organisation recruitment process will be very impersonal but if you’re an existing employee you should be able to identify who the line manager will be?

Frownette Sat 09-Nov-19 09:47:11

I tried this once - luckily the bloke phoned so was able to ask directly. I didn't get it but I'm pretty sure some organisations would allow it.

Hope it goes well.

HelloCheeky Sat 09-Nov-19 09:51:09

Thanks for the replies. I know who the line manager would be but am reluctant to ask her because it will become more of a personal issue. I'd rather stick to policies. ie. if a post is advertised as FT are PT applications excluded by the organisation as a matter of policy?

WoollyFoolly Sat 09-Nov-19 09:53:51

I applied for a FT role, was offered it and requested part time which they agreed to. You won't lose anything by asking.

HelloCheeky Sat 09-Nov-19 09:55:16

I guess I've answered my own question. Nobody on MN knows what my organisation's policy is, but it's likely to be similar to other universities. So, I am going to have to speak to someone directly and it's likely I'll have to wait until something PT comes up.

HelloCheeky Sat 09-Nov-19 09:57:49

Thanks woolly. I think I have to be upfront in my application that I can't do a FT role though, as I am studying at the same university and people know I can't work FT atm.

mclover Sat 09-Nov-19 09:59:28

Apply anyway and explain how you think you can make it work on a part time basis

Oblomov19 Sat 09-Nov-19 09:59:41

I applied for a job, full time, requested 4 days, got it.

HelloCheeky Sat 09-Nov-19 10:03:23

Thanks for the replies. I know the job is to cover full time teaching hours, it could not possibly be reduced to PT hours. The only way it would work is if two people did it as part timers.

EggysMom Sat 09-Nov-19 10:04:29

We're having this debate at work at the moment (not a university), general consensus is that you should apply anyway in case the hiring manager simply hasn't considered part-time or jobshare as a possibility. Sometimes it's better to hire the right/best person part-time than the wrong person full-time.

EggysMom Sat 09-Nov-19 10:06:22

(my response written before the latest update about it being a FT teaching role)

flowery Sat 09-Nov-19 10:11:02

” The only way it would work is if two people did it as part timers.”

So you’d be expecting them to find you a job share? The trouble with that is that they’ve advertised it as F/T without saying they’d consider a job share, which means they’re unlikely to get suitable job share applicants.

Any chance you know anyone who could apply ‘with’ you as a ready-made job share? I’ve seen that work.

Ringsender2 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:12:28

I would apply.

They may not get any other suitable applicants, which means that if you were suitable that they might prefer some of your time rather than none.

Similarly, the 2 best candidates may only be able to do part time. In this situation, they may offer a job share as the most suitable solution to their resourcing needs.

Ringsender2 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:13:21

(I'm not in academia, but have done the above 2 things when recruiting)

Pogmella Sat 09-Nov-19 10:15:26

I work at a university and our new guidelines are that once the job has been offered (not accepted) we treat any requests for flexible working as if it was a current employee.

I’d apply and if they offer it negotiate then.

Hefzi Sat 09-Nov-19 10:21:59

Right, OP - then speak first to your head of department, informally: that's perfectly fine and normal to do in a university. Also, your school/faculty etc will have a designated HR person - ring the general HR number, and ask for whoever deals with whichever department you work in.

But I really would ask whoever hired you/HoD - she might not know you're looking for a permanent contract (most places, it would be flagged up that a job was going to be advertised to all hourly-paid lecturers irrespective, but not everywhere does) and her personal feelings towards your situation won't impact on what she tells you. Plus, she may know of someone in the team who's looking too go P/T next year or whatever - so may have knowledge of a way it could be possible.

Also - having this conversation with the HoD now means they'll be able to alert you in future when something is in the offing if this isn't suitable.

DawnOfTheDeadleg Sat 09-Nov-19 10:52:43

Nothing stopping you asking. Personally I've had best results simply emailing and asking before applying, though that does rule out the possibility of them changing their mind once they meet you. It depends how willing you are to risk wasting your time.

HelloCheeky Sat 09-Nov-19 10:57:37

Thanks for taking the time to reply everybody. It's really helpful. I think I just need to put a bit more effort into speaking to somebody about it. On the other hand I'd really like to make an application to flag up my qualifications as I don't think they realise they have someone so valuable already in the department!

InvisibleWomenMustBeRead Sat 09-Nov-19 11:01:34

Apply definitely and in your cover letter highlight all the reasons you're perfect for the role but also mention there that you want part time. They can then decide for themselves. Plus if they get a couple of people requesting part time, they may then consider job share.

You've really nothing to lose from applying and everything to gain - as a minimum they'll see your keen and the qualifications you have, so even if not suitable this time, will bear you in mind for future opportunities. Good luck!

HelloCheeky Sat 09-Nov-19 11:04:56

Dawn. I don't see applying as a waste of my time whatever the outcome because I think it's always useful to practise updating personal statements and I'd like the department to know more about who I am. I am more concerned they might think I am wasting their time by applying for something I am not available to do.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »