Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to Samaritan’s purse please

(22 Posts)
Isitme13 Sat 09-Nov-19 09:06:06

Once again one of my dc’s schools has stated it is collecting for operation Christmas child. I have said no to dd, and briefly explained why. She agrees with my reasoning, but would still like to donate something this Christmas (quite rightly).

We always donate, and so I have a list of food banks, local toy appeal charities etc, but she is quite taken with the thought of an essentials kit for refugees/homeless/war torn people in need.

Does anyone have links to an ethical charity along those lines?

BarbaraStrozzi Sat 09-Nov-19 09:10:40

I seem to remember (from previous threads) that the Rotary club organises a shoe box scheme with no religious overtones.

FierceMamaBear Sat 09-Nov-19 09:14:11

Link to hope.

SisterSistine Sat 09-Nov-19 09:15:50

Shoe box schemes just aren't very efficient ways to donate, so lots of charities don't do them. Refuge do a virtual one, rather than you filling the box yourself. I think foodbank/the toy appeals are a better idea if she wants to give tangible things.

Tiggles Sat 09-Nov-19 09:43:37

Teams 4 u

ChristmasCupsAComing Sat 09-Nov-19 09:45:24

Mary’s Meals schoolbag appeal.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sat 09-Nov-19 09:58:30

I do sympathise with you DD for sure but sending physical items overseas can't be efficient. I can see that she doesn't want to give money. What about asylum seekers here?

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sat 09-Nov-19 09:59:04

Oh other than all the Operation Christmas Child problems which you are obviously very well versed in

CandyflossKid Sat 09-Nov-19 10:02:55

We have a shoebox scheme in our town for refugees from Syria who now live here - could you find out if theres anything g like that near you?
The boxes are filled with treats rather than necessities.

HowManyNameChangesNow Sat 09-Nov-19 10:05:28

Mary's Meals backpack project.
backpacks

HowManyNameChangesNow Sat 09-Nov-19 10:09:44

Or a 'reverse' advent calendar for the local food bank
www.google.com/amp/s/www.goodtoknow.co.uk/family/reverse-advent-calendar-94087/amp

Isitme13 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:13:19

Thank you for all suggestions so far.

I do agree that sending physical items overseas also brings a whole different set of issues. I am trying to persuade her that donating money or finding a more local charity which does similar is a wiser use of resources, but it’s slow going! She has ASD, so flexible thinking is not her best point.

I will keep trying to find a local scheme - we have quite an active Rotary club so will check with them too.

Glenthebattleostrich Sat 09-Nov-19 10:15:08

A charity in our town is doing shoeboxes for the homeless, might be worth looking to see if there's anything similar locally.

Ringsender2 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:15:39

Local homeless charities often do this, or certainly in the bigger cities/towns

GiantKitten Sat 09-Nov-19 10:57:13

Homeless charity here did a shoebox appeal last year, but have adapted it to drawstring bags this year so they get the bag too, & no box to dispose of.

A similar scheme around Brighton is using socks.

There will likely be something local to you - search FB with your location & key words smile

oreomum Sat 09-Nov-19 11:52:44

Our local homeless charity has an Amazon wishlist. It's not physical items that she can hold in her hands but she might like seeing an exact list of needed stuff. There's quite a few animal charities with lists there too if animals are important to her.

oreomum Sat 09-Nov-19 11:55:08

If you are on FB, there's often local people who will pass on of clothing, toys Etc to people in need. For example there's one who gathers items for homeless people who have just found a place so need everything from towels and bedding to crockery. If you're having a pre-Xmas clear out this is a good way for her to see her unwanted stuff getting a new lease of life.

EvilHerbivore Sat 09-Nov-19 11:56:38

My local women's refuge is always greatly in need of donations at Christmas

Isitme13 Sat 09-Nov-19 12:46:21

Thanks again for all suggestions.

I am embarrassingly out of touch with local charities and collections - I have 3 dc with ASD, and no support, and not much time to devote to our community.

I have found out that a local shop is collecting coats for Wrap Up London, so I will have a clear out and go with dd this afternoon to donate those. I have found a couple of other charities which offer what dd seems to be after - a direct supplies kit. I am hoping to be able to get her to choose which she would like, then donate the money online for that specific box/bag/whatever she chooses.

I will also talk to her about dv refuges, as this is very much a cause I support, but I also need to support what she feels she would like to donate to (within reason - hence writing this post in the first place, as I cannot countenance supporting operation Christmas child!)

Isitme13 Sun 10-Nov-19 08:38:45

Just an update, in case anyone is interested.

Dd and I donated a load of winter coats for the wrap up London appeal yesterday, and she chose to donate to the local hygiene bank Christmas appeal, so we spent a while in boots and Superdrug choosing toiletries and essentials to pack up and drop off.

Thanks everyone for help and pointers.

Osquito Sun 10-Nov-19 08:44:39

If anyone else is wondering along the same lines (I am in same position as OP), there is a list of alternatives in this article:

humanism.org.uk/humanism/humanism-today/humanists-doing/good-causes-and-charities/samaritans-purse/

I like local food banks and coat collections, too.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sun 10-Nov-19 08:55:19

Well done OP- sounds perfect

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »