Talk

Advanced search

Worried about this bite

(22 Posts)
moobar Fri 08-Nov-19 21:34:30

Dh. Typical farmer. Saw his leg tonight. This bite is a week old. I think it needs looked at. Anyone know about these things? Hes saying it will sort.

YouBoggleMyMind Fri 08-Nov-19 21:38:39

Anything 10cm or bigger needs 111 advice. As it's been a week, I'd be inclined to get it checked. How is he in himself?

moobar Fri 08-Nov-19 21:41:31

He says he's fine but I am worried. It's not settled at all since he came in. I don't know what bit him. Spider or dying midge.

If anything it looks more angry to me now.

He is such a pain. Will never get help, until it's at the serious point. I don't think it's 10cm. Maybe five or six

bubs80 Fri 08-Nov-19 21:42:45

Ring 111 it's tracking probably needs anti biotics or go walk in centre tomorrow smile

SpiderCharlotte Fri 08-Nov-19 21:43:31

I think that needs looking at.

moobar Fri 08-Nov-19 21:45:41

We are Scotland and rural so it is a and e or gp, which is now closed till Monday. He's saying he will phone in morning. Is that to late do you think?

YorkshireLawyer Fri 08-Nov-19 21:49:21

I’d get that looked at (but coming from farming stock know how hard it will be to persuade him!). Would he see a pharmacist in the first instance? My DS had a nasty bite a few weeks ago and the pharmacist told us it was infected and he needed to see a doctor. (To be clear, we saw the pharmacist way before it got like it did in the pic, even I’d be able to diagnose that as infected grin). Took three weeks of two different antibiotics and one glorious squeeze to clear it up!

Drinkciderfromalemon Fri 08-Nov-19 21:50:55

If it's a week old (is that a pen mark around it? So not going past that?) I would think it is on the way out. If it is still sore, still growing, or differently presenting, GP on monday.

moobar Fri 08-Nov-19 21:51:20

Ouch!!!!! That looks so sore. I will suggest pharmacist. Problem can be local town often doesn't have one but that's a good idea.

AlWays a weekend!!

moobar Fri 08-Nov-19 21:52:31

Yes apologies I drew pen on tonight to see if it moved. It's got bigger since yesterday so I did that.

wonderstuff Fri 08-Nov-19 21:54:26

Is there not an out of hours GP service? Definitely needs looking at.

MrsJoshNavidi Fri 08-Nov-19 21:58:45

Has he tried antihistamines?

Solihooley Fri 08-Nov-19 21:59:48

Please get him to see a gp. Call out of hours. I’ve just lost a school friend to septicaemia that he got from an infected insect bite on his head. If it’s very painful I’d call sooner rather than later. Ive had sepsis myself from an internal infection. It can take over very very quickly even in very fit, young and healthy people. IMO you can’t be too careful.

moobar Fri 08-Nov-19 22:00:39

No out of hours. Not tried antihistamines. Shall do that now. Just antiseptic

Solihooley Fri 08-Nov-19 22:02:16

By OOH I mean 111. They usually get you an out of hours appt with a gp but you will probably have to get to the local hospital.

feelinghelplesstoday Fri 08-Nov-19 22:13:13

@moobar does your surgery use LIVI? It's nhs services that allows you to video chat a doctor. It's an app x

RedSoloCup Fri 08-Nov-19 22:44:03

This was mine !!!

moobar Sat 09-Nov-19 08:30:30

Thanks all. No it really is a and e or gp if week day.

I will try and find a pharmacist this morning. Two chemists in local town and when I needed something for DD a few weeks ago I had to drive another twenty miles as neither had one on shift.

It looks a lot better this morning. Bathed in hibiscrub and applied germonline last night. Not as angry but he now thinks maybe his welly was rubbing it......

moobar Sat 09-Nov-19 08:31:18

And @RedSoloCup ouch!!! What is doing these nasty bites. Actually maybe I'm best not knowing!!

PrettyShiningPeople Sat 09-Nov-19 08:37:23

Oh my word * YorkshireLawyer* that looks horrific, any idea what bit him?

Definitely worth getting it looked at if it seems to be worse OP. Some redness around a bite is normal, but that appears to be an odd shape.

YorkshireLawyer Sat 09-Nov-19 10:03:42

@PrettyShiningPeople No, we never found out. He thinks it happened in bed one night but we didn’t find the culprit dead in his sheets so maybe it lived to fight (bite?) another day! Doc thought possibly a spider given the time of year <shudders>.

feelinghelplesstoday Sat 09-Nov-19 21:29:08

@YorkshireLawyer ouch! That looks a great squeezer tho 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »