Talk

Advanced search

Have you had your teeth fixed? Experiences etc...

(62 Posts)
Time4Change0 Fri 08-Nov-19 18:42:49

I have wonky teeth. A big overbite. It’s shit.

I try to hide them at all times, I never smile with my mouth open.
I’m sure people must talk about them or wonder why I don’t smile.

Anyway, I’ve always avoided the dentist as I am ashamed of them.

I’m late 30s and it’s time to stop being a wimp and do something about it.

Can anyone who has maybe been in a similar position to me who got them fixed give me advice/ experiences etc?

Thank you in advance. This is my first step.

Beelips Fri 08-Nov-19 19:05:50

Hi!
I got my teeth “fixed” in my early/mid thirties after a life time of feeling uncomfortable smiling/laughing in front of people as I didn’t like my gappy teeth. I got veneers over my four front teeth and two implants at the back. Spent hours and hours in the dentist chair and a small fortune but I don’t regret it as can now smile with confidence 😀.
If you feel your teeth are affecting your confidence and social interactions, go for it! Wishing you all the best.
Ps: one thing to consider though: in your OP you say you are conscious everyone is constantly looking at your teeth. I felt the same - but after I got my teeth done, hardly anyone noticed. Some friends even commented that they loved my gap and never saw a problem. So whatever you are feeling, it’s likely to be very subjective and doesn’t reflect how other people view your teeth!

Time4Change0 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:10:48

Thank you @beelips

Mine are overcrowded with a serious over bite so not only do they look ugly it is hard for me to eat.

I really wish I could tell my 11 year old self to get them but I was too embarrassed at the time.

Did you do it via a normal dentist or one of the jazzy invisilign type places off the internet?

Winterdaysarehere Fri 08-Nov-19 19:12:00

I had train tracks put on at 47!! 4 weeks left!! Crooked top front 2. Crossed bottom 2. Bigish overbite.
Was offered 2 upper ones out for better result but top lip would drop back and didn't want to lose fullness!
Excited for them off!!

AlphaLemon Fri 08-Nov-19 19:15:49

Yes! I’m just 30 and had my braces off in May. Best decision ever. I had to have teeth removed due to overcrowding... it’s changed my whole face shape - I would recommend it to anyone!

I went to a dentist who referred me to an orthodontist with a good reputation. I had severed crowding and wasn’t a good candidate for Invisalign, they’re more for small gaps.

It hurts. A lot, but is so worth it in the end smile

Ravenrob Fri 08-Nov-19 19:17:06

I have the same issue.
No advice but you're not alone flowers I'm trying to build up the courage to get mine sorted.

FancyPuffin Fri 08-Nov-19 19:21:26

I’m coming to the end of a years worth of Invisalign and it is one of the best investments in myself I’ve ever made! I had overcrowding and don’t have a single picture of me smiling as I was so self conscious. I would strongly advise having a look at the Invisalign sub on reddit as they have so much information and before and afters. It’s not an easy process to start with but settles quite quickly.

I have straight teeth now grin

Time4Change0 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:27:02

@fancyPuffin @Winterdaysarehere @AlphaLemon

If you wouldn’t mind can you tell me:
- how much you paid
- how long it took from your consultation til you got them fitted
- how long from them being fitted to taken off

I realise it will be different for us all but just so I can get an idea before I take the plunge.
Thanks so much in advance

Time4Change0 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:28:43

@Ravenrob
It’s crappy really isn’t it? Now and again I find myself becoming obsessed with teeth when you see people with a perfect set.
And I really kick my self for not doing something when I was young but I was probably even more self conscious back then!

If I can manage to pluck up the courage to go and make an appointment (and turn up!) I will be very proud of myself.

MrsNacho Fri 08-Nov-19 19:28:46

OP your issues sound just like mine. I had fixed braces on the NHS and double jaw surgery last year. I am 33.

It has changed my life, just to know that I now look 'normal'. I didn't realise how much I actually thought about it!

Winterdaysarehere Fri 08-Nov-19 19:32:42

£1500 which is NHS cost with orthodontist at my surgery. On 25 th Jan this year. Off 6th December! £400 deposit and random /regular payments as /when.
Tbh was more painful than anticipated - aching more than pain. But results happened pretty quickly!
Don't feel self conscious wearing them at all and I am a shy person!

Time4Change0 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:36:03

@MrsNacho
Wow your teeth are absolutely perfect!
I can see they’ve changed a lot although your before look better than mine.
How long did you have them on for?
On the NHS were they free?
I’m not actually registered with a dentist and they are all full round where I live sad
So would have to go fully private.

Time4Change0 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:37:50

@Winterdaysarehere
On the NHS I take it you have to have an NHS dentist?
I don’t have any dentist. The NHS ones in my city are all full to capacity.
So you had them on a full year? I think I would be very self conscious of them so it really scares me but the alternative is bad teeth forever!

FancyPuffin Fri 08-Nov-19 19:40:46

I’m not actually certain what I paid as I’m having other dental work done as well (ugly bridge replacement I was tricked into having as a teen and front dental implant).

The process was consultation, then around a week later I got scanned (wand thing they rub over your teeth to create a 3D model). Around 2/3 weeks later first trays.

The Invisalign process is a series of plastic trays that you change weekly that shift your teeth, with that you have some little nubs (attachments) attached to your teeth to help the movement. They are really not noticeable, no one knows I have them unless I tell them. I did spend the first week in regret land as it felt so alien but you get used to them so quickly.

I’m finished in around a month and will wear retainers for a couple of months then retainers at night only, I used to massively grind my teeth and it’s cured that. For me, my mouth used to feel small and so crowded and now my smile feels so much wider, i feel like it’s changed my lower face shape for the better.

Kitkatfordinner Fri 08-Nov-19 19:47:16

Coming to the end of my fixed braces. You will be amazed by how positive everyone is about them. You will either hear their brace story or they will question you about it because they want them.
I only had a painful (achy) mouth for the very first week and after my final wire change.
I went private and had clear/white braces. If I did it again I would be happy with the metal ones as I have had to avoid certain foods/drinks as they stain my brace bands.
I had a really sticky out incisor for years. Within a month it was in place. I have taken regular photos which really show the improvements.
Once the braces are off I will have permanent wires behind my teeth and retainers to wear when I sleep.
Best money I have ever spent.

Time4Change0 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:48:00

Thanks @fancypuffin

I know that when people get braces they end up struggling to speak for a while and having a lisp.
Did you get this?

I use the phone a lot of work so this is a worry for me.

Time4Change0 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:49:49

Thanks @Kitkatfordinner
How much did yours cost and how long were they on for in total?

I really want to do it but I get unbelievably anxious at the thought and then back out.
I really need to sort it!

Lordamighty Fri 08-Nov-19 19:52:15

I am mid sixties wearing fixed braces! My front teeth had become very wonky & I was embarrassed by them. Cost is £4000, estimated time is 9 months. The initial consultation with an orthodontist was £100, well worth the money & deducted from the cost of x-rays and moulds. I am 6 months in & happy with how it is going.

Winterdaysarehere Fri 08-Nov-19 19:52:33

He has private patients but gave me at cost to him price.
Honestly I was more self conscious with uneven teeth!

Monkeytapper Fri 08-Nov-19 19:54:04

I had massive gaps so had a 'train track' brace on top teeth for 18 months, cost about 2k about 5 years ago. I was pleased with the result but a few months ago I had more work done , had composite bonding on 3 teeth at front, 2 new crowns and a silver filling taken out and white filling in its place, this cost a further 2k, love the end result.

chuck7 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:54:23

This is so strange OP, I was looking at old threads on mumsnet last night for this exact issue. I have over crowding and a very large overbite. I'm too scared to go to the dentist.. I last went about 4 years ago and they never mentioned my overbite so I'm going to have to ask. I'm late 30s. I guess the first thing is to find an NHS dentist and asksmile

Groundfloor Fri 08-Nov-19 20:03:08

I developed over-crowding as I grew older and this resulted in my teeth crossing over and protruding.

I ended up going down the route of Invisalign which took about 14 months, changing aligners every 7 days.

it was a good, if somewhat challenging experience and I'm delighted with the result and now have a fixed wire retainer bonded to the rear of my upper and lower 6 teeth and wear a 'night time only' retainer indefinitely.

Happy to answer any questions and share experience.

Time4Change0 Fri 08-Nov-19 20:04:36

@chuck7
How weird!
Are you going to go via NHS route or look into invisilign and the likes?

I haven’t actually been to a dentist in at least 16 years blush

I think my teeth seem healthy (maybe!) it’s just the case they are growing all over the place and the overbite is getting worse each year to the point eating isn’t that easy for me.

I don’t even think I can afford it but it’s getting me down so much I will have to find a way.

sarahstanley Fri 08-Nov-19 20:07:56

Got fixed braces on now had a big overjet and crowded lowers. Dentist reckons 6 months and at 6 weeks in can see huge improvement already. Only wish I’d done it ages ago. Was put off with tales of extraction ruining and ageing the face but these ones widen the arches to make room for all the teeth so didn’t need any out.

sarahstanley Fri 08-Nov-19 20:08:55

Oh and I pay in instalments 80 pound a month for five years but sooo worth it IMO.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »