Talk

Advanced search

What's the kindest thing you've ever experienced?

(220 Posts)
flopsytheflatcat Thu 07-Nov-19 20:30:49

an act of kindness to you or one you've witnessed or heard about?

Nonstopbuttmachine Thu 07-Nov-19 20:57:37

Years ago I was on the bones of my arse financially, I had about €5 to last me the week. I was in Lidl buying cat food but when I got my purse out I realised I was 30c short; I was scrabbling around for change and on the verge of tears when the guy behind me discreetly handed me a euro. What a lovely man, he had no idea how much he helped me that day.

ChocoChunk1 Thu 07-Nov-19 21:00:18

My friend and I had both got a cold that was going around at work, but he still gave me half of his packet of Strepsils because I didn't have any.

Nofunkingworriesmate Thu 07-Nov-19 21:00:30

Organ donation always
The intensive care nurse shaving my dad, it was not in anyway a medical necessity but I will never forget she went that extra mile and made my dad look and feel more like him in his final days

Candle1000 Thu 07-Nov-19 21:03:33

My daughters abusive father had just left us , clearing out the bank account. I went into the bank with dd in her buggy to ask for £100 overdraft but because I didn’t work , I was refused. My bottom lip was quivering, I thanked the bank teller and left . As I was walking down the street, the bank teller came running after me and said that she’d made a mistake , I could have a small overdraft and handed me some notes . I knew it was a fib and this was her own money . I will never, ever forget her.

bluebluezoo Thu 07-Nov-19 21:04:47

When was 11 or 12 i was with my friend, a very popular girl. We came across a group of our classmates playing rounders, and asked to join.

They said she could join, but not me.

I had already half turned to continue walking on my own, it didn’t even occur to me she wouldn’t join, when my friend said no, both of us or neither.

I’ll always remember that.

fartingrainbows Thu 07-Nov-19 21:04:47

A work colleague donated a kidney to a stranger. She just said she was blessed with good health and two working kidneys and she wanted to help somebody who wasn't so lucky. Makes me tear up a little bit to think about it.

Sparklfairy Thu 07-Nov-19 21:05:43

Candle1000 that's such a lovely story flowers

WhoKnewBeefStew Thu 07-Nov-19 21:06:19

Took my kids to McDonald's and my card wouldn't work and I had no cash... after trying my card about 4 times a lady went to pay for me, it worked that 4th time but for her to step in nearly made me cry.

OhioOhioOhio Thu 07-Nov-19 21:07:49

So, so many.

Turning up in the middle of the night at my parent's house with my children having driven away from our home. Knowing we didn't ever have to accept his bastard ways again. And my Dad carrying my children from the car. Too many kind moments to mention.

The surgeon who operated on my Dad making sure he'd explained everything to me because he knew how worried I was.

QueenWhatevs Thu 07-Nov-19 21:08:31

When I was heavily pregnant and had broken and dislocated my ankle, and was about to have it reset in a&e, obviously I was a bit upset. The nurse held my hand and gently stroked my arm in such a kind, supportive way. Such a tiny gesture that meant so much.

SuperMeerkat Thu 07-Nov-19 21:09:14

When my son was little, probably under a year, I was in Woolworths and my bag was stolen from the handles of the buggy. It had my purse in it and I was crying as I was skint enough as it was but it meant I would have to walk all the way home pushing him plus the shopping. A kind lady stopped me and gave me a tenner to get the bus home and to cheer me up a bit. So sweet.

BloodyCats Thu 07-Nov-19 21:10:45

My friend was so kind to me when my mum died. It wasn’t a single act I suppose but she was just so supportive and there for me, I’ll never forget it.

QueenWhatevs Thu 07-Nov-19 21:11:18

@WhoKnewBeefStew McDonalds obviously inspires kindness! I went once with a hungry preschooler and a fractious baby who needed a (milk) feed, I was exhausted, the place was rammed, and I ended up spilling my coke everywhere. A wonderful woman gave me her table and quietly slipped off and replaced my coke. I was exceedingly grateful.

AmIAWeed Thu 07-Nov-19 21:13:42

I got my house after leaving my abusive ex.
People at work were talking about TV programmes and asked if I'd seen something. I said I hadn't yet sorted a TV. One lady said she had a spare I could have. I said thank you but I couldn't afford the TV license so it was a lovely offer but I couldn't really accept. All my colleagues chipped in and paid for an annual license.
It felt like a huge thing, kids went to bed I had something to do and could join in with the office chatter. Everyone was incredibly subtle about it, it felt unbelievably kind as opposed to pity

SimonJT Thu 07-Nov-19 21:15:09

I had to leave my parents home when I was 17, I was only housed because a very small charity had volunteers who would allow homeless young people to live in their homes. I would have definitely ended up as rough sleeper without their help. They also helped me find work, a room and the deposit.

EveningLight Thu 07-Nov-19 21:15:52

Candle1000 that was just such a beautiful thing to do.
We once asked the way to a cash machine as hadn’t realised there was a toll on the motorway as we left an airport abroad and they wouldn’t take a card, and a complete stranger handed us at least £5 in the currency and said warmly that we were probably cousins anyway . I’ll never forgot it either

wombinside Thu 07-Nov-19 21:21:07

After my dad died when I was 16 I was alone and had no money. I was so hungry that I walked into a chip shop with my last 40p and asked if I could I have a few chips.

There were other customers in there and the man behind the counter said that there was a special offer that day and it was 40p for chips and a roll. He was so lovely and was trying to make me feel less embarrassed although I was way past that point.

I cried all the way back to where I was staying.

Some people are so kind.

mintcorneto Thu 07-Nov-19 21:25:57

My Dad has always hated two things - driving at night and driving in bad weather. I know most people don't like it but he will avoid this at all costs. His dear friend of 50 years was dying in hospital over a period of two months during the really bad winter a few years ago and my Dad drove in the worst weather, 3 nights a week to visit him and bring him chocolate which he fed to him. Still makes me cry thinking about it.

Egghead68 Thu 07-Nov-19 21:32:20

I ended up stranded at a remote train station in Italy by myself when I was younger as my flight had been delayed. There were no taxis or buses, it was pre-mobile-phone days and I was resigned to having to sleep on the station. A kind man who spoke a bit of English gave me a lift all the way to my hostel. I will always remember that (and always marvel that I was so desperate/stupid that I got into a car alone with a strange man in a strange part of the world).

EmmiJay Thu 07-Nov-19 21:32:45

The staff at my local Tesco always take the time out to hug and talk to my DD (ASD). If they see her they always call to her to say hello. Its not directly a nice gesture to me but it always warms my cockles every time we go in there and she leaves so happy and chatty.

ParkheadParadise Thu 07-Nov-19 21:34:49

My dd was murdered 4yrs ago. A total stranger(Man) found her on his way home from nightshift. He stayed with her until the police came, put his coat over her. He also came to her funeral.
Not once did he give any interviews to the press.He also had to endure the court case that followed.
I will always be grateful to him for the kindness he showed towards her. I know it must have been awful for him.

JJSS123 Thu 07-Nov-19 21:34:53

My mum had beaten me up and smashed a bowl of hot lasagne over my head at home in front of my friends I was 14. My mum made me leave the house in the pouring rain with no shoes or coat My friend rang her dad and he came and got us and her mum was waiting for me at their front door took me straight upstairs showed me to her en suite gave me everything I needed to make sure I got all the food out my hair and some fresh warm pjs and a hot meal and they gave me clothes And shoes and let me stay there for a couple of weeks. I’ll never forget that woman. She gave me a hug that i had never ever had.

ClientListQueen Thu 07-Nov-19 21:35:55

The nurse that made me hot chocolate at 3am when I couldn't sleep (wired after a GA!) she was just lovely smile

TheBridgeIsOver Thu 07-Nov-19 21:38:50

A few years ago my DS, who has autism, had to have an operation in hospital. He completely freaked out as he was about to have the anaesthetic and the surgeon was really horrible to him and shouted at him to stop being silly and he would cancel the operation if he didn’t behave himself. He was also raising his voice at me telling he Ai had to ‘do something’ and ‘put my foot down’ hmm. It was really distressing for my DS and for me sad.

But a lovely nurse firmly told the surgeon off, took hold of the situation and held my DS’s hands and talked soothingly to him until they could get him to accept the anaesthetic.

When he was in recovery, she came down and held my hand and said DS did brilliantly, I was a lovely mum and some doctors still don’t understand autism and not to worry about it. She was so kind and caring.

The next day she brought a huge, gorgeous Lego set in for my DS out of her own pocket. I said I couldn’t possibly accept it, but she told me her DD was autistic and she knew how hard it could be sometimes. She had noticed DS playing with his minifigures before the op and wanted him to have something he would enjoy doing while he was recovering.

Some people are just lovely souls.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »