Talk

Advanced search

Office life- What is your pet hate?

(348 Posts)
SuperMeerkat Wed 30-Oct-19 14:12:41

Mine has got to be meetings where nothing ever actually gets resolved. Too much time is spent letting everyone have their say and ideas are considered that we then need another meeting to decide on what to do 😡😡 If anyone actually dares to be decisive then everyone looks at them like they’ve just kicked a puppy.

Sparklingbrook Wed 30-Oct-19 14:15:46

grin

SuperMeerkat Wed 30-Oct-19 14:17:41

I’ve got a 4 hour meeting next week. 4 HOURS!! Kill me now 🤦‍♀️ And tbh, it will probably be more like 5.

PurpleFrames Wed 30-Oct-19 14:18:26

People not washing up their mugs
Meetings of any kind
Being cc'd into emails!

NormaBean Wed 30-Oct-19 14:19:51

Yvonne.

Tableclothing Wed 30-Oct-19 14:20:02

Shit music on the office radio, to which colleagues sing along timelessly.

Tableclothing Wed 30-Oct-19 14:20:24

Tunelessly, ffs

hopeishere Wed 30-Oct-19 14:20:27

Passive aggressive cc
Our Monday meeting that is an utter waste of time
My colleague talking about her hobby

SuperMeerkat Wed 30-Oct-19 14:21:32

@NormaBean What’s wrong with Yvonne, do tell?!!

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually Wed 30-Oct-19 14:23:02

I have a colleague who plays the harmonica in the office first thing in the morning...

OverthinkingThis Wed 30-Oct-19 14:26:10

Passive aggressive cc

That and just needless excessive cc'ing of people who aren't involved and don't care

GnomeDePlume Wed 30-Oct-19 14:30:03

Lack of meeting rooms so that the only one available is one with bar stools. I am short and fat so need a step ladder to climb up. I normally end up standing unless I come up with a good reason to not attend.

Having enormous slide decks to prepare when you know that the slot for that presentation is only going to be 3 minutes. An exercise in futility.

In depth analysis of utter trivia

Ruthlessly enforced office rules which are ignored by the person who came up with the rules.

PopcornAndWine Wed 30-Oct-19 14:32:39

Fish in a communal microwave. Should be a sackable offence.

FavouriteSoul Wed 30-Oct-19 14:33:33

Yvonne drives me potty too.

hopeishere Wed 30-Oct-19 14:37:57

Calling PowerPoint "slide decks". wink When did that become a thing??

ItIsWhatItIsInnit Wed 30-Oct-19 14:38:20

People leaving their phones on loud!

People constantly grazing on food, talking about cake sales.

All the coughing.

ClientListQueen Wed 30-Oct-19 14:40:00

People who try and talk to me while I'm eating. I have a mouthful of food, 30 mins for my lunch and I've taken 150 calls. Go away and let me be silent angry and it's stupid shit like "ooh what are you eating?"
"Nothing. I'm eating nothing now because I HAD TO STOP eating to answer your question"

georgialondon Wed 30-Oct-19 14:40:14

People eating fish for lunch.

AgeLikeWine Wed 30-Oct-19 14:43:39

Another vote for the office radio. How I hate that bloody thing. It is always tuned the the same crappy commercial station (Smooth) which plays exactly the same tired old boring predictable songs in a different order every single bloody day.

wendywoopywoo222 Wed 30-Oct-19 14:45:27

Kevin. Bloody Kevin.

IToldYouIWasFreaky Wed 30-Oct-19 14:45:33

Our Monday meeting that is an utter waste of time

Yep - those recurring meetings that you have to have because they tick some box in someone's appraisal but there's no actual point to them.

@ClientListQueen, and the people who wander up when you are eating your lunch, say "oh sorry, are you eating lunch?" and then launch into what they were going to ask anyway!

Oh and the people who ask "what's it like out there? Will I need my coat/cardi/umbrella?" when you come back from lunch. Look out of the window and make a judgement call people!

ClientListQueen Wed 30-Oct-19 14:53:39

@IToldYouIWasFreaky luckily my job doesn't require many questions or I might have thrown something by now grin
But they keep asking questions while I'm chewing despite me just going "mmm" or other noise. I feel like saying fuck off and let me eat in quiet, but there is nowhere to go where there isn't people angry
I don't want to take a bite, answer a question, take a bite, answer a question..

Tobebythesea Wed 30-Oct-19 14:54:07

Office politics

NormaBean Wed 30-Oct-19 14:54:53

What’s wrong with Yvonne

Where do I start?

She eats constantly. Has a drawer full of snacks so there’s a permanent background noise of rustling of bags and crunching.

She’ll open a multipack of Wotsits and decant several bags into one as a mobile packet that she can eat on her way to the printer.

When she eats a yoghurt, she’ll go at it like a starved hyena. Loudly licking the lid and edges, uses her fingers to scrape the bottom then sucks the remnants from her false nails. She’ll then furiously scrape the pot with a spoon just in case her tongue and fingers missed anything. This is a daily ritual.

She asked me to remove my dog calendar because dogs scare her.

She enjoys bonding over her periods. Length of period, amount of flow, colour and consistency.

She uses my computer when I’m not there (only part time) and will leave her ginger wotsit crumbs all over the keyboard.

She accuses people of stealing things, even though those things belong to the office and not her. She’ll go to great lengths to prevent these thefts, such as attaching a stapler to her drawer with string, painting her initials on things and hiding them if she takes annual leave. So when I come in after the weekend, I’ll spend 10 mins cleaning my keyboard and then half the day on the hunt for a stamp that’s she’s hidden in a fucking plant pot.

mamakoukla Wed 30-Oct-19 15:02:12

Politics and drama. Just let me do the job!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »