Talk

Advanced search

IKEA dupe?

(6 Posts)
Lhastingsmua Mon 21-Oct-19 16:02:59

Really love this industrial light shade/retro bulb combo from IKEA.

The only problem is that the bulb is warm white (2200 kelvin) - I need cool white. I know the warm tone doesn’t look that bad in the store pic, but it would look naff in my house. Any idea where I could find something similar but cool toned?

WhoCaresWins01 Mon 21-Oct-19 16:15:08

Can't you just change the bulb?

Lhastingsmua Mon 21-Oct-19 16:32:41

Yep, that’s what I want. A bulb that looks very similar, but that’s cool white instead of warm white

BarbaraofSeville Mon 21-Oct-19 16:35:11

So you need a bulb that is the correct fitting (E27 I think it says) and gives out however many kelvins that is cool white, which adds a whole new level of complexity to buying of bulbs, which up to now I was totally unaware.

Maybe that's why my home decoration never looks quite right. My lightbulbs give out the wrong colour light.

Lhastingsmua Mon 21-Oct-19 18:32:44

Yep that’s itsmile The lighting in my house is daylight white (~6000 kelvin, cool toned), so looks the same in the evening as it does during the day - with no horrid yellow cast.

Some people prefer the yellow tone and find the cool tone harsh (you can get dimmable bulbs of course). I like a subtle soft warm glow, but would rather use it as an accent eg lamp.

Managed to find the bulbs on Amazon! really excited!

janj2301 Mon 21-Oct-19 20:13:59

Try b&q

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »