Talk

Advanced search

Primary school staff - if a parent gave you several pairs of 8yo size pants, would you find it useful, or weird and inconvenient?

(27 Posts)
JesusInTheCabbageVan Mon 21-Oct-19 15:28:27

We bought new pants for DS, but having opened the pack, they are briefs rather than boxers so he refuses to wear them hmm

DH wants to give them to a charity shop, but I think they'll just bin them.

I suggested the school might be able to use them as spares, but DH thinks there aren't enough kids that age who are likely to need them. He thinks school will think I'm weird for offering them.

Whose idea is best?

MrsPnut Mon 21-Oct-19 15:29:24

I'd definitely give them to school.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Mon 21-Oct-19 15:40:28

Thanks Mrs, 1-0 to me then!

TitianaTitsling Mon 21-Oct-19 15:49:21

Another for you! Yep I'd give them to school!

ihearttc Mon 21-Oct-19 16:06:23

Im a TA and I would love some bigger size pants...all the ones we have are tiny and some of the boys we have are rather tall. Don't forget it doesn't necessarily need to be toilet accidents-I had one boy fall over quite spectacularly last week and got totally soaked.

RainbowCake Mon 21-Oct-19 16:18:38

Yep school, we have loads of age 3/4/5 sizes. But nothing bigger and the older ones are fantastic at falling in the only puddle or patch of mudhmm

GrimalkinsCrone Mon 21-Oct-19 16:23:24

Unused? Definitely useful in school. Not only for KS2, there are some very robustly build KS1 boys around. Not weird a thing all.
I also kept a pack of new pretty knickers in my cupboard when I taught Y6, along with chocolate...be prepared is a useful motto!

Wellmet Mon 21-Oct-19 16:29:16

What ihearttc said.

unfortunateevents Mon 21-Oct-19 16:35:21

My boys are university age now but I definitely remember our primary school asking for people to bring in underwear to the office as they use it when there are accidents and it rarely comes back so they were constantly running out.

confusedofengland Mon 21-Oct-19 16:41:46

Definitely give them to school! Ours have swimming lessons at that age & it has been known for undies to be left behind & thus fresh pairs needed...hmm

Kaykay06 Mon 21-Oct-19 16:43:56

I’m sure they’d come in v handy - my 8 year old has bowel & bladder issues So has been changed at school before - I do send in a change but I can imagine they will be used. I have an 8&9 year old youngest wears briefs older boxers.

GrimalkinsCrone Mon 21-Oct-19 16:48:50

Oh gods, I’d blocked swimming from my mind!
Wearing trunks under uniform and forgetting to bring pants.
Putting trunks on over your pants and then swimming.
Dropping pants on a wet floor and then panicking.
Losing pants and insisting Someone Has Stolen Them.
Spare pants save the day.

InkyFANGERSInkyFace Mon 21-Oct-19 16:56:34

My kid is 8, she was lent a pair of pants the other week because when she changed out of her leotard from her before-school gym club, she realised she hasn't put any pants under it.

I also went to school without pants one morning when I was slightly younger.

Give them to the school, they'll have a use for them

owl89 Mon 21-Oct-19 17:13:01

I'm a teacher. Please donate them to the school! The amount of underwear we get through is crazy and we only ever get given smaller ones smile

JesusInTheCabbageVan Mon 21-Oct-19 17:19:59

Fabulous, thanks all! I am absolutely showing this thread to DH later grin

FavouriteSoul Mon 21-Oct-19 17:45:54

Definitely donate them.

Rockbird Mon 21-Oct-19 17:59:16

Having spent ages today trying to find a pair of pants that wasn't size 11-12 in our pants box, I would flipping love them. Poor kid had to hold his replacement pants up all day!

JemimaPuddleCat Mon 21-Oct-19 17:59:21

PTA member here. Definitely offer them to school. Also any usable outgrown boys school trousers in a similar size - we really struggle for these for our uniform bank.

MrsWombat Mon 21-Oct-19 18:01:06

I'm a school admin officer. Definitely send them in. You wouldn't believe the number of kids who need that size and for a variety of reasons.

Katinski Mon 21-Oct-19 18:10:17

So is that settled ten,OP? Your offer of pants isn't,well,pantsgrin

rededucator Mon 21-Oct-19 18:23:12

Primary teacher here, definitely hand them in. Kids have accidents and spare clothes are always very useful. Thanks for that.

CakeNinja Mon 21-Oct-19 18:40:54

Definitely send them in!
I’m dreading taking year 4 swimming next year, the pants issue is just one more thing to deal with grin
Every year I buy a couple of big packs from the shops for both boys and girls and I very rarely have any left - most of ours come in with their swimmers on under the clothes because we go first thing and so many of their parents (or them If they pack for themselves) forget to sling a pair of pants in.
Also as others have said, kids have a way of falling in the only puddle and ending up soaked to their underwear grin

CakeNinja Mon 21-Oct-19 18:41:47

I ended up donating 2 packs of ds’s pants because he hates the ones with buttons on - some kids from school have got some brand spanking Autograph boxers on grin

MitziK Mon 21-Oct-19 18:45:44

DH doesn't know what he's talking about, then.

It won't just be for toileting accidents, rainstorms, falling over in puddles, a Year 6 football match getting rained off and somebody would be going home on the bus soaked to the skin, spilling a drink, vomiting over themselves - many things could happen to a kid in Junior School that means they need a full change of clothing.

Aragog Mon 21-Oct-19 18:46:47

Yes, we would use them. Our spare clothes tubs are always running low, especially bigger sizes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »