Talk

Advanced search

Dear god, DS2 hasn't stopped talking all morning

(116 Posts)
MyGhastIsFlabbered Sun 20-Oct-19 11:35:33

DS2 aged 7 has been awake since about 6:30 and had not even paused for breath....I love him dearly, but the never ending stream of chat about Minecraft, Roblox, exercise, the dog, the cat etc is just about to drive me round the bananas.

Can anyone sympathise?

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 20-Oct-19 11:37:05

My 4yo told us she has her own language: it's called Non-Stop.
She wasn't lying.
I feel your pain.

FlibbertyGiblets Sun 20-Oct-19 11:39:10

Haha I had one like that. Even talked in their sleep! Luckily the Teen Mode was engaged about age 12 so this particular model went into Grunt Stasis Mode til age 17 before Young Adult Mode was switched on automatically. Phew!

WillYouDoTheFandango Sun 20-Oct-19 11:41:38

I’ve been away for work for 4 days this week. DS clearly had a backlog of stuff to tell me as yesterday he essentially sat on me and talked at me for a solid 12 hours. I very much sympathise.

The worst are the Minecraft questions. It’s like he sets me traps. “What would you do if x,y and z happened in minecraft, mummy?” Gives entirely made up, uninformed answer. “No mummy. X and y don’t exist in minecraft”. hmmconfused

MrsTishellsNeckBrace Sun 20-Oct-19 11:42:00

Wash your hair, pop in those foam ear plug things loosely, wrap towel round head to disguise their existence. Doesn’t prevent the talking tsunami - but it does lower the volume !

QueenAnneBoleyn Sun 20-Oct-19 11:44:16

MrsTishells Genius! 😆

MilesJuppIsMyBitch Sun 20-Oct-19 11:45:04

I feel your pain OP. Just constant brain-streaming from 8yo in this house too. gin

MyGhastIsFlabbered Sun 20-Oct-19 11:46:48

@WillYouDoTheFandango yes! And I'm constantly caught out by 'which Pokemon is better' type questions. And the scorn in his voice when I give the wrong answer.

icecreamsundae32 Sun 20-Oct-19 11:47:31

Haha same here especially mine craft and Roblox and avengers.... add in talk of his ideas for Xmas to do with Lego 😂 or his ideas for Halloween costumes and I'm going insane!

TheGirlWithTheArabStrap Sun 20-Oct-19 11:50:22

Sympathies! I have a chatty DS the same age. In some ways I wouldn't mind the chat if I didn't have to formulate an in-depth response to lots of questions. Eg "What's you favourite Pokémon? You can't say Pikachu!" This then developes into what's you favourite type of legendary/electric/water type etc etc.
And "I don't know" isn't acceptable!
But he's so lovely and enthusiastic I always feel mean if I tell him to shut up.
He also reverses my parenting techniques on me if I say "I don't know".

"Hmm Mummy, where could we find out more about different types of Pokémon? Would you like to read my Pokédex book? Or we could ask Google?"
😂😂😂

TheGirlWithTheArabStrap Sun 20-Oct-19 11:51:05

Ha cross posted about the Pokémon chat!

EatsFartsAndLeaves Sun 20-Oct-19 11:53:06

Oh god yes I just openly wear earplugs I'm afraid, I find it so hard to concentrate on anything else that I can't really function otherwise.

Winsomelosesome Sun 20-Oct-19 11:57:22

Mine was an incessant talker. It's exhausting. If it's any consolation I found it died down a bit around aged 9. He's still a chatterbox but it's no longer constant. Saying that he recently got an award in school for 'asking and answering lots of questions during class discussions'. Maybe because my go to response for questions I don't know the answer to is 'ask your teacher' - sorry teachers grin.

SprinkleDash Sun 20-Oct-19 11:57:29

This is one of the reasons I’m not having children. I’m an introvert and even a short conversation is enough to exhaust me. I wouldn’t survive without my quiet weekends after a busy week at work!

HairyFloppins Sun 20-Oct-19 11:59:49

My eldest is the same she said her first word at six months and she hasn't stopped bless her.

My older brother is the same, he's moved back with my parents temporarily and my Dad has given up trying to watch the TV now. He's in his forties!

UrbanMage Sun 20-Oct-19 12:02:43

I've just hidden from DD (age 4.5) as it has been constant from 6.30 am.
She's always the same. My ears constantly feel like they're ringing.

And then I go to work and get the sake thing all day. "Miss..." "Miss"...

TheGirlWithTheArabStrap Sun 20-Oct-19 12:03:24

Winsomelosesome my DS also gets comments about "enthusiasm for class discussion" in his reports. Poor teacher 😆

Ifixbrokenthings Sun 20-Oct-19 12:07:48

Oh Jesus that was me yesterday. DD never stopped for breath. Eventually gave her the argos gift guide and told her pick her santa stuff. Got half an hour til all I heard was chitter chatter about the LOLs😂😂😂

Go to the toilet and pretend you have a sore tummy. Usually gets me 30 min😂

HuloBeraal Sun 20-Oct-19 12:14:30

Oh I thought I had written this. DS1 is nearly 8 and DS2 is nearly 3. And between them they can talk for England. I heard DH say a bit crossly to them ‘I can’t think if both of you talk together.’ There was a brief pause and they both began talking simultaneously again.

Clutterfreeintraining Sun 20-Oct-19 12:14:58

I also feel your pain!! However, my job is working with children so I should probably have a higher tolerance level but when the chatter is multiplied by 6 of varying ages/topics of conversation, I'm absolutely done in by the end of Monday the week.

Clutterfreeintraining Sun 20-Oct-19 12:16:16

Oh and teen ds never really got into the quiet grunting stage and whilst he retreats to his room quite a lot, when he's out of his room the conversations are quite full on!

Gingerivy Sun 20-Oct-19 12:25:41

My sympathies. I have three dcs that are constantly talking. One is an adult now, so lives elsewhere, but the two at home are still nonstop talking from early early morning until bedtime (so 5am until 8:30pm).

I'm trying to incorporate the idea of "if you are talking to yourself, please do it in your head. If you are talking to me, please get my attention first, so I know you are speaking specifically to me so I can listen carefully." It's extremely difficult when they are both speaking very quickly at the same time to sort out what they are saying. I tend to listen for "key words" to verify there isn't any emergency.

AssangesCat Sun 20-Oct-19 12:30:31

Almost daily for the last 6 years I have been asked "Do you want to know who is today's new super hero?". They are all made up. I have developed the skill of zoning out, doing a shopping list in my head or whatever and occasionally repeating the last thing he said in a tone of wonderment (e.g. "six foot wingspan!? Wow"). This worked well for a while but then he started testing me. After monologuing for 45 minutes plus he would says "So which one is your favourite?". It's draining.

ipswichwitch Sun 20-Oct-19 12:31:05

DS (8yo) has verbal diarrhoea. He doesn’t stop talking. Ever. Even when he’s on the toilet and therefore alone isn’t he bathroom, the talk doesn’t stop. Right now he is re-enacting his latest football match, with full commentary and being himself and all his team mates. He’s even managed to talk over himself which is impressive!

ipswichwitch Sun 20-Oct-19 12:31:35

It’s no wonder I’m always knackered!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »