Talk

Advanced search

Are you constantly thinking how much having the heating on is costing?

(82 Posts)
Aldibaldi555 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:43:33

Not put the heating on here yet but will need to soon.

Got a plug in radiator in DC room.

Are other people just constantly aware of how much having heating on is costing?

We’re not poor by any means, but it’s expensive. Admittedly we have a large, older house.

Zaphodsotherhead Tue 15-Oct-19 11:25:21

I have no heating. Well, I do, but it's oil fired and I ran out of oil four years ago and can't afford to refill the tank. I just have an open fire in one room and an electric blanket.

I can't afford the electricity bill I have now (or barely) so don't use plug in radiators either. I wear a LOT of clothes. But it's perfectly possible to survive (contrary to the belief of my friends. Plus humans existed without central heating for millenia, and people have their houses too warm most of the time anyway).

Dowser Tue 15-Oct-19 11:45:53

No, compared to my holiday bill it’s peanuts.

Actually joking aside, I do feel for anyone who can’t afford to keep their house warm.
It’s an absolutely miserable existence being cold and scared to use your valuable resources.

I was cold as a 50s child. That was the way then . One coal fire. No central heating.
Ice on the bedroom window in the winter mornings.
Awful way to live and we weren’t poor or rich...just didn’t have these luxuries or the technology. Not sure which.
We didn’t get ch till 1973.
Sheer bliss.
I hope we have a mild winter and you all keep yourselves and houses warm

Dowser Tue 15-Oct-19 12:00:03

I don’t have a tumble drier. Clothes go on washing line and I finish them off on the radiators if need be
Yes even in summer..20 mins to warm them up and get the clothes fully aired
I have three 8 feet long radiators so can get a full load dry pretty quickly
I do have other radiators as well but in cooler rooms so I don’t use them for drying
My south facing wall has barely any windows in it , so we don’t get much from the sun in winter

LucaFritz Tue 15-Oct-19 12:02:59

No because I've never used it. Probably never will even when DS arrives in January. My apartment is always around 16°c and i just wrap up warm and put on extra thermals etc this time of year i don't see the need for expensive heating when you can just layer up to get warm

Clutterbugsmum Tue 15-Oct-19 12:30:18

Not really, as we tend to 'over pay' during the warmer months and use that money in the winter.

We live in a 10 yr house that has really good insulation so the house stays fairly warm during the winter. I tend to just boost the heating for 30 mins a day before the children come home.

Cerseilannisterinthesnow Mon 21-Oct-19 15:12:55

We have just moved to a house with gas central heating from an old farm cottage with oil central heating. Much prefer the gas as just have it set to come in in the morning and then on again at night whereas with the oil I rarely put it on as it was so expensive and never felt very warm

RushianDisney Mon 21-Oct-19 15:21:51

I am usually the sort to just put on a jumper until it's properly frosty, but as our landlord decided to replace our washer dryer with a normal washing machine I have to have the heating on to dry laundry. We have no outside space where we could hang it so it has to be inside, and it takes days to dry without the heating. I am worrying about how much it is costing, but haven't got space to put in our own tumble drier so it's the only option.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »