Talk

Advanced search

Are you constantly thinking how much having the heating on is costing?

(82 Posts)
Aldibaldi555 Mon 14-Oct-19 20:43:33

Not put the heating on here yet but will need to soon.

Got a plug in radiator in DC room.

Are other people just constantly aware of how much having heating on is costing?

We’re not poor by any means, but it’s expensive. Admittedly we have a large, older house.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 14-Oct-19 21:05:44

It's good to be aware of the cost - as well as being expensive, it's bad for the environment to be careless with the heating even if you can afford it.

Have you had all the improvements to insulation that are available?

Are you on the best possible tariff. Only about a third of people regularly switch to cheaper tariffs, which is ridiculous considering how easy it is to switch and how many people moan about the cost.

Do you have gas central heating? Because it is very efficient, it can actually be cheaper to have GCH on to heat the whole house than turn it off and use portable heaters. Before we had it installed, we just had a gas fire in the living room and that cost just about the same to run as a combi boiler heating the whole house.

Smurfie12 Mon 14-Oct-19 21:09:01

My heating has been on 22 degrees constantly 24/7 for the last two weeks and will be for the rest of the winter. I usually turn it up to 24 for an hour or two when I come home from work then turn it back down to 22. I have been doing this for the last two years, and it's worked out much cheaper for me, even with the gas increases.

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 14-Oct-19 21:13:32

Yes sad

I’m on maternity leave so it’s on during the day, even though the baby and I have plenty of layers on, and I can feel the smart metre scowling at me. I’m also using the dryer more than usual as it’s been torrential here for days. It’s going to be a pricey winter.

bigbluebus Mon 14-Oct-19 21:13:50

I do think of the cost to the extent that if there is only me at home I will usually put a thicker jumper on before putting the heating on/up but will not be economical with it if guests are involved. We are on oil (no gas in our village) so it is becoming increasingly expensive.

Aldibaldi555 Mon 14-Oct-19 21:16:52

We are on oil although when we do our house up we’ll be modernising the house and going onto gas

Fireextinguished Mon 14-Oct-19 21:17:18

Not constantly but aware of it. We are in a new build property so bills should be reasonable but our electricity is higher than I'd like due to all electric cooker.

We won't put heating on for a while yet.

Lllot5 Mon 14-Oct-19 21:19:51

Not had the heating in yet here south east.
But yes constantly worried don’t put it in unless I have to.

tryingforminime Mon 14-Oct-19 22:41:42

I have storage heaters and no gas in my home. It's costs me a lot during the winter months. I only put 2 of the heaters on to take the edge off and I know we'll be cold but I can't afford it

OchNah Mon 14-Oct-19 22:42:57

An electric blanket on the mattress, and a heated throw blanket on the sofa, plus wearing layers are really effective, paying to burn oil so as you have stuffy rooms is just soul destroying, the heating would have to be on for ages to give a less pleasant warmth than a heated blanket does

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 14-Oct-19 22:45:31

It's not cheap, but if it's cold I put it on, no matter what the time of year.
I have meters, and at the worst, in mid winter it's around £4 a day, but I can't stand being cold and I also have brittle asthma so need to be warm.

Floralnomad Mon 14-Oct-19 22:45:53

I actually don’t give it a second thought , I hate being cold and I don’t like wearing lots of layers . We are SE and it’s been on a lot in the last couple of weeks however my house does seem to retain heat very well and my utility bills are pretty reasonable overall .

Nextphonewontbesamsung Mon 14-Oct-19 22:46:17

I have no idea how much it costs to heat our house ... would love to know, actually. Is there an easy way to find out?

Jem2124 Mon 14-Oct-19 22:46:49

Yes! We’re in a a relatively new house with oil fired central heating. Our oil bills are astronomical so it’s only on twice a day for 20 mins to heat the towel rails although DH knocked it on for an hour this evening as everyone was complaining of the cold. I hate being cold but oil is so expensive,

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 14-Oct-19 22:48:35

I'm actually really worried about Dd, she's 18 and has moved out but they won't be able to afford much heating at all, and she also has brittle asthma.

Finfintytint Mon 14-Oct-19 22:53:20

We delay putting the heating on as late as possible ( oil heating , no gas available in inefficient old cottage). I’ve had the fire on twice this month and the central heating about three nights. It does feel cool sometimes but it seems such a waste when I can put a jumper on instead.
22 degrees for 24/7 seems wasteful and unnecessary. I’d be too bloody hot for starters.

Ariela Mon 14-Oct-19 22:57:23

Not at all. We won't need to put the heating on till the ambient outside temperture drops below about 5 ooutside by day, some years we don't use it till after Christmas. We have a wood burner (free wood, OH is handy with the chainsaw) and an oil fired Rayburn which does the cooking, hot water and heating all on timers and solar power which provides feed in tariff (original tariff) payments far far in excess of our electricity costs and heats the hot water when sunny. We make so much on the solar we still have about £2-400 left after paying for all the oil and electricity we use. Typical electricity is £40/month max and we spend about £5-600 every 14-18 months or more. Last bill was under £600 (bought in height of heat wave in August - I shop around like mad), previous would have been in a hot spell at the end of March/April/Easter 2018

Ariela Mon 14-Oct-19 22:59:20

Meant to add we add a jumper rather than heat the house, the thermostat is set at 15.

username578999 Mon 14-Oct-19 22:59:50

Yes it's expensive. I'm in debit on my utilities and they want to increase the dd but I can't afford it so just trying to keep the cost down so any tips will be great .
I hate being cold though I came home from work tonight dh already home and no heating on , it was freezing.

LizzieMacQueen Mon 14-Oct-19 23:04:04

I'd rather be comfortably warm, in my house, all winter and have no summer holiday.

Finfintytint Mon 14-Oct-19 23:09:40

I’m still comfortably warm with a jumper on rather than heating on. It just seems so unnecessary.

Cinammoncake Mon 14-Oct-19 23:23:07

Ihavebrillohair flowers that's a worry. Hope your dd is okay

BetterAlone Mon 14-Oct-19 23:44:59

No. £81 a month for all gas & electric seems pretty good to me, and my exH insisted we set it at a level where I was cold all the time.....so nice not to have to endure the meanness any more.

myusernamewastakenbyme Tue 15-Oct-19 00:05:22

Im on oil and find it very economical...i go through 1000 litres a year...costs about £500 ...i think thats really good.

PanicInAmerica Tue 15-Oct-19 00:11:10

No. It’s been on (and off) since August. If I’m cold, they heating goes on. I don’t mind paying for it and will happily cut back elsewhere to pay for it.

Tyrotoxicity Tue 15-Oct-19 00:12:54

I mostly go with refusing to think about how much the heating is costing. It's a rapid route to feeling guilty and shit.

It's on 18 degrees at the moment though, set to hover around there during waking hours until spring.

I did look into insulation and subsidies and whatnot. Turns out they can't do cavity wall insulation unless you actually have a cavity between the two layers of bricks, and this was not standard in the 1880s.

On the plus side, DD (aged six) gave me a bollocking this morning for suggesting putting the heating on when I wasn't already wearing a jumper.

ParkheadParadise Tue 15-Oct-19 00:15:04

Heating has been on for weeks here.
I find the cost usually balances out over the year paying by dd.
I can't stand the house being cold.

rededucator Tue 15-Oct-19 00:22:14

West of Scotland and haven't had it on yet. Dressing gowns when up and about cooking etc and when on sofa we both have fleecy blankets.

Fuma Tue 15-Oct-19 00:29:53

Just as I wouldn't consider Siberia in winter with a coat on to be the equivalent of southern Spain in summer, so I do not consider sitting under a blanket in a cold house to be the same as sitting in a warm house. So, although I don't enjoy spending money on it, I do think that being warm, indoors, in my own damn house is absolutely a reasonable expectation.

RubbingHimSourly Tue 15-Oct-19 00:35:59

Mine won't go on until December when it will be used in the evenings. Can't afford it so that's how it is.

DobbyHP Tue 15-Oct-19 00:43:06

I never turn my heating off, summer mornings can be mild🙈
My partner constantly moans about it been to warm & opens our door/windows. I quickly follow him shutting them all. I love nothing more than a toasty warm home.

CrowleysBentley Tue 15-Oct-19 01:12:41

We are all electric and only have storage heaters, which are useless and expensive to run so I don't use them. I have oil filled radiators that we use instead, but I watch how much we run them, we're on a prepayment meter so it's easy to track how much electricity is going on heating. We've all got big fluffy dressing gowns, extra blankets and warm duvets on beds and fluffy fleece blankets on the sofa. The flat definitely gets cold in the winter, but there's not much I can do about it. I was thinking about getting one of those electric stoves for the living room, and a couple of heated throws.

sleepyhead Tue 15-Oct-19 01:20:31

I try not to have the heating on till November. Its been quite mild here so should manage it.

We've only got storage heaters but luckily they work really well so we'll be toasty when they go on - useless for unpredictable occasional use though. Its all or nothing and once they go on I'll leave them on til at least April which costs £££.

We've got great insulation and a huge fleecy throw for the sofa at night so that should see us through for a few more weeks and save some cash.

safariboot Tue 15-Oct-19 01:32:11

Well I do now. But we still can't have a cold house.

We have a decent boiler now, and double glazing. But like a PP, solid brick walls, not much we can do about them. The bathroom ceiling also has fuck all insulation which is why the bathroom is always bloody cold.

OctoberLovers Tue 15-Oct-19 01:35:15

Our plug in heater costs alot more than the oil radiator

RainbowMum11 Tue 15-Oct-19 01:36:19

Always very aware - don't have central heating just horrid storage heaters so rely on blankets, jumpers & hot water bottles!!
Very very careful about putting any heating on really.

Bloodybridget Tue 15-Oct-19 04:29:33

I should be thinking about fuel bills, and I certainly will next time I get a statement, but like some other posters I hate being cold indoors. Luckily it's been very mild for the time of year here in London, so we haven't needed heating on during the day much, but it's on morning and evening. Use sweaters and rugs on the sofa too!
It's sad and shocking how many people simply cannot afford to have adequate heating.

Tippety Tue 15-Oct-19 04:35:32

Yes, but as I have a small child I put it on when necessary ie for their bath time if it's cold. When it was just adults in the house wed put on jumpers, dressing gowns and slippers before putting the heating on.

Phillipa12 Tue 15-Oct-19 05:32:49

After living in Yorkshire in a large house with oil fired central heating and being cold every winter when i was married, im now in a lovely but old cottage down south with gas central heating and i never want to be cold in the winter in my own house again. I do though make sure that my curtains are thermal lined, and the windows are double glazed, the chimneys that are not used have draught excluders in them, the fire is used regularly so that i dont have to put the heating on in the middle of the day, and im currently saving up to have the old radiators replaced. So luckily my dual fuel bill with 3 small dc is just under £1000 for the year.

Spanglyprincess1 Tue 15-Oct-19 05:45:13

I worry about it but our electric is more expensive as 4 kids and they never ever turn anything off and I wfh most of the time.
I'm cold. Currently. Under a dressing gown and blanket. I've bought the toddler a warm dressing gown and toddler slippers socks to keep him warm.
My heating set to 17 all day which is means it seems to only come on overnight really and this is mostly for the toddler as I don't want him cold.

gonewiththerain Tue 15-Oct-19 05:51:09

Not yet, the wood burner is on pretty much constantly and is keeping the house warm. I know environmentally they’re not great but I’m given free cut logs as many as I need and I can’t really afford the same level of heat using the gch. The wood burner warms the whole house if I leave all the room doors open. It would not be a cheap option if I had to buy wood.

SuperMeerkat Tue 15-Oct-19 06:17:31

We have a Nest thermostat which seems to have helped. The biggest thing i’ve found is changing my mindset so I don’t worry. Eg in the summer, the heating/tumble drier are rarely on so it’s like you’re saving up your ‘allowed’ usage for the winter. Ages ago, Martin Lewis showed a really interesting graph on his show which was basically this and that would should go into deficit over the winter but by being careful, you’ll easily make it up over the warmer months.

reluctantbrit Tue 15-Oct-19 06:28:44

Not constantly but I am aware. We do a meter reading each months and pay for what we used, so lots of savings in summer.

We also have a thermostat monitoring the temperature and only letting the heating on when it drops under a programmed level. Investing in decent windows and good curtains also helps on the long run keeping costs down.

I hate being cold and I hate wearing ton of layers, so heating is on.

PulpPixie Tue 15-Oct-19 06:37:55

No. I refuse to be cold and sit with a hundred layers on indoors. I’m in a new build anyway so insulation is fantastic. You can keep your draughty, always freezing, cost a fortune to maintain, period houses. I love my cheap to run new build

MuseumOfYou Tue 15-Oct-19 06:45:22

Live in a 400 year old mill house, so always fighting the damp. Oil can cost £300 a month if we go mad so I'm always turning the thermostat down a bit. I work from home and don't have heating on in the day just for me. I'm seriously thinking of a heated throw now...

Oblomov19 Tue 15-Oct-19 06:48:35

Never worry about it. Never think about it. Heating is set to 19. All year. I refuse to be cold.
But Dh refuses more. He was poor and had ice in the inside of the windows! Refuses to have that now.

Jayaywhynot Tue 15-Oct-19 06:56:30

Iv got a smart meter and it shows iv used £780 worth of electricity this year shock that figure does not include the gas, I'm in utter shock, I'm dreading having to put the central heating on

PearlsBeforeWine Tue 15-Oct-19 07:03:45

I have my heating set to 18. Its only on from 6-9. So no, I don't think about it much..

Better for the environment to stick on a jumper!

Toomanycats99 Tue 15-Oct-19 07:10:50

My nest is set to 17 during the day and 14 at night so it hasn't kicked in yet.

Occasionally I have felt a nip in the air but when I look at the thermostat it's showing 20 so I think that's just me acclimatising to the winter.

I do have a mini oil radiator - I work from home a lot and don't want to heat a whole house for the tiny square I am sitting in - especially when that's in the loft so takes longer to warm up anyway.

We are away half term so I am hoping to easily get to November before putting it on.

GymNovice Tue 15-Oct-19 07:15:00

I don't constantly think about it, on a sunny day we don't need it as we have large windows and it heats up. On rainy days I do moan that the people underneath (flat) haven't put their heating on yet! Actually, I just need to reacclimatise from the summer and get used to wearing slippers and a jumper again.

IceCreamAndCandyfloss Tue 15-Oct-19 07:16:40

Ours has been on for a little while as I hate being cold. I worry about the environment costs more but try and balance it out so don’t have a tumble drier, walk as much as possible etc. Would rather save money in other areas if I had too than be cold at home.

Ohyesiam Tue 15-Oct-19 07:17:33

No

LittleCandle Tue 15-Oct-19 07:27:43

We've had it on here and there, but it has been pretty cold, wet and windy here recently. Putting on a jumper often makes no difference to me because of a medical condition - I can be cold in the house with big jumpers and the heating on! We have built up enough credit over the summer with our direct debit payments to not really worry that much about putting the heating on when we need it. We also use a heated airer to dry our clothes and that helps keep the need for the heating at bay for a few more weeks.

I did pop the heating on when I came down this morning, as it felt rather nippy, but it is set to go off in a while and as of yet, we don't have it set to come back on in the evening.

Persimmonn Tue 15-Oct-19 07:29:02

I don’t constantly think about it but it is a niggle in my mind. We haven’t put the heating on yet as it’s still quite mild, but I know the weather will turn in the next 2 weeks. Our gas bill has gone down this week, but it’s still around £140 a month for both gas and electric, and I was in debit last winter and had to pay extra to avoid DD increase. I’ve started working full time now so gas and electric are off during the day, we’ll probably have heating on 3-9pm every day just so the house is warm for the kids and on longer during weekends. But I know I’ll worry about it every time I put it on.

Sniv Tue 15-Oct-19 07:30:18

No, but I got up out of bed last night and dug out the electric blanket. Seems like only three months or so since I put it away. My enormous fleecy, fluffy knitted hoodie is also back in regular service after what seems like a very brief holiday in the back of the wardrobe.

joystir59 Tue 15-Oct-19 07:33:04

We have an old house but it's dry lined, insulated and a mid terrace, so retains heat well. We have the thermostat set to 18c but only put the heating on for an hour in the evening

HairyFloppins Tue 15-Oct-19 07:36:26

My heating never goes off and has been on a lot recently. The thermostat is set to 21.5. We have a fairly new boiler and that reduced our bills quite a lot than the old condenser we had.

I also tend to overpay over the summer months so I am often in credit when the winter bills come in.

Dreading a old winter though.

Irisloulou Tue 15-Oct-19 07:36:40

I have wood burner and an Aga.
The heating hasn’t been on this year, And it’s only ever on for an hour in the depths of winter, but I have lovely big south facing windows.
I’m well insulated, curtains all interlined, we have jumpers and dressing gowns and slippers. Blankets on the sofa.
Having one toasty room is in my opinion the best if you are concerned about the bill. You don’t need lots of radiators on.

Fishcakey Tue 15-Oct-19 07:41:43

Our gas bill is never high so I don't worry about it. It's the electricity we use the rest of the time which makes my eyes pop out of my head!

lazylinguist Tue 15-Oct-19 07:48:59

Nope. I have it set to 18 between 7a.m. and 9p.m. from about now until early spring. I don't think about the cost really.

defectiveinspector Tue 15-Oct-19 07:52:22

Can I ask why people have their heating on overnight? In winter ours goes off just before we go to bed and then comes on again in the morning. If you do have it on overnight why don't you think about trying without it? Perhaps change it to go off midnight to 6am? I'm sure you won't miss it.

BlackeyedGruesome Tue 15-Oct-19 07:57:58

Yes think of the cost to both my account and the environment.

It is quite warm here still. I am still wearing shorts at home but had to put socks and a cardi on last night. The flat keeps very warm, apart from ds's room.

PrincessHoneysuckle Tue 15-Oct-19 08:13:02

Dh informed me last night it costs 17p an hour to have our heating on which wasnt as much as I thought! I hate being cold

Crusytoenail Tue 15-Oct-19 08:27:48

Yes I worry about it, I'm on a meter for both and have had it on a few times this year - I do have a tumble dryer but I try not to use it regularly but need to for doing work stuff between shifts. Heating set for an hour in the morning and 5-9 in the evening, turned off if not needed. We don't have a shower and I can't afford to get one fitted, so we have to have baths, which is a money drain, literally. But we need to be clean. Been cold wet and windy here like today a lot of the time recently and I've got to get washing dry somehow. How do some of you dry your washing without the heating or a tumble dryer? I found even my thin work stuff takes a couple of days with nothing in weather like this and any longer and stuff starts to smell foisty.
I do get frustrated coming home from work knackered and freezing after 40 mins on a bus to not afford to put the heating on to warm me up - it's on for an hour for DD getting up for school but that's a good hour before I get in, and my place is semi detached and first floor with windows everywhere. So no matter which way the wind is blowing it's cold somewhere here! I'm worried what will happen when it gets really cold. Using the slow cooker a lot as we only have an electric oven to try and save a bit there. January fed up with constantly watching the meters go down and not really feeling warm ever!

TamingToddler Tue 15-Oct-19 08:29:34

We have ridiculous storage heaters and an electric only flat. I used the overnight function on one storage heater the other night, and woke up to £4 electric used. That's meant to be the cheap rate!

I definitely can't afford to be spending £4 on heating plus whatever we use throughout the day, usually £2.50.

I'll have to put it on at some point because my house is too cold to dry the washing quickly enough on the airer. All that being said I'd rather cut back else where and just have my heating it.

MadisonAvenue Tue 15-Oct-19 08:35:05

I worry a little and I don't usually like to have the heating on until the end of October but, despite my best efforts, as I turn the thermostat down, my husband follows me and turns it back up. He likes it set to 22c with all radiators on. I went into a room which is rarely used yesterday evening and the radiator was on (suffice to say, it isn't now!).

I don't think it's cold enough to warrant having the heating on yet, it's hasn't really gone much below 15c during the day here and we're in a very well insulated new build.

theoriginaltms Tue 15-Oct-19 08:40:41

Mines been back on a few weeks now just a couple of hours in the morning before we wake up and a couple of hours again just before I know we all get home so it's warmed up ready. I absolutely hate being cold!

Frankley Tue 15-Oct-19 08:51:54

Had only ancient asbestos filled electric storage heaters for years. Decided to smarten up and had them removed and new thin modern ones put in. Electricity company put in a new meter, for Economy 10. I don't think the new heaters were as efficient as the big old ones and we froze and paid a fortune. We have just chucked them all out, got gas to the house and l can't believe the luxury of having instant warmth when needed. I don't know yet how much it will cost us, but some people tell me it is cheaper to set the thermostat and leave it on all the time and other people say to switch it on and off as required. Any ideas on what is cheaper way to run it please?

theoriginaltms Tue 15-Oct-19 09:50:08

@Frankley yes I heard this too but my thermostat only seems to switch the heating on at 25 degrees! X

MarkinTime Tue 15-Oct-19 10:45:23

If i'm cold, i put the heating on.
We don't have it on a timer and the thermo is set at around 22 degs.
If we are at home all day, say at weekends, we put it on when we get up and leave it alone until we turn it off at bedtime.
We don't worry about the cost of it. We like to be warm.

Rachelover60 Tue 15-Oct-19 10:48:38

No, I never think about it. Always pay by DD or SO monthly. I can't bear cold but I've only put heating on once this autumn, which is quite surprising for me; it will be on day and night soon enough.

WhoKnewBeefStew Tue 15-Oct-19 10:53:44

We've just had a log burner installed and I've bought a dyson heater for my office (it's an out building conversion). I'm hoping to see a reduction in my heating costs

sleepyhead Tue 15-Oct-19 11:05:37

The point of the thermostat is that you set it to the temperature you want your house to be (If you've got a portable thermostat keep it in the room you use most) and it'll switch your heating on if the temp in the room falls below that, and off again once it gets up to it.

So the heating will be going on and off but the temp in your home will be constant.

If you set it to say 18 degrees then it likely won't come on at all all summer but will kick in once the temperature drops. In the evenings you can turn it up a bit if you want a higher temp for sitting around, and you can usually set a much lower temp for night time so it likely will not come on at all unless really really cold (or just turn it off).

Waah! I miss my GCH!

Celebelly Tue 15-Oct-19 11:12:08

Yeah we just stick the thermostat at 20 for daytime and 18 overnight and just leave it to it. The heating just comes on and off throughout the day and night, but I'm not really aware of it. I work from home anyway (plus I'm still on mat leave) so our bills are always a bit higher as we are in the house during the day.

Lardlizard Tue 15-Oct-19 11:13:44

Tbh I don’t think about it

Zaphodsotherhead Tue 15-Oct-19 11:25:21

I have no heating. Well, I do, but it's oil fired and I ran out of oil four years ago and can't afford to refill the tank. I just have an open fire in one room and an electric blanket.

I can't afford the electricity bill I have now (or barely) so don't use plug in radiators either. I wear a LOT of clothes. But it's perfectly possible to survive (contrary to the belief of my friends. Plus humans existed without central heating for millenia, and people have their houses too warm most of the time anyway).

Dowser Tue 15-Oct-19 11:45:53

No, compared to my holiday bill it’s peanuts.

Actually joking aside, I do feel for anyone who can’t afford to keep their house warm.
It’s an absolutely miserable existence being cold and scared to use your valuable resources.

I was cold as a 50s child. That was the way then . One coal fire. No central heating.
Ice on the bedroom window in the winter mornings.
Awful way to live and we weren’t poor or rich...just didn’t have these luxuries or the technology. Not sure which.
We didn’t get ch till 1973.
Sheer bliss.
I hope we have a mild winter and you all keep yourselves and houses warm

Dowser Tue 15-Oct-19 12:00:03

I don’t have a tumble drier. Clothes go on washing line and I finish them off on the radiators if need be
Yes even in summer..20 mins to warm them up and get the clothes fully aired
I have three 8 feet long radiators so can get a full load dry pretty quickly
I do have other radiators as well but in cooler rooms so I don’t use them for drying
My south facing wall has barely any windows in it , so we don’t get much from the sun in winter

LucaFritz Tue 15-Oct-19 12:02:59

No because I've never used it. Probably never will even when DS arrives in January. My apartment is always around 16°c and i just wrap up warm and put on extra thermals etc this time of year i don't see the need for expensive heating when you can just layer up to get warm

Clutterbugsmum Tue 15-Oct-19 12:30:18

Not really, as we tend to 'over pay' during the warmer months and use that money in the winter.

We live in a 10 yr house that has really good insulation so the house stays fairly warm during the winter. I tend to just boost the heating for 30 mins a day before the children come home.

Cerseilannisterinthesnow Mon 21-Oct-19 15:12:55

We have just moved to a house with gas central heating from an old farm cottage with oil central heating. Much prefer the gas as just have it set to come in in the morning and then on again at night whereas with the oil I rarely put it on as it was so expensive and never felt very warm

RushianDisney Mon 21-Oct-19 15:21:51

I am usually the sort to just put on a jumper until it's properly frosty, but as our landlord decided to replace our washer dryer with a normal washing machine I have to have the heating on to dry laundry. We have no outside space where we could hang it so it has to be inside, and it takes days to dry without the heating. I am worrying about how much it is costing, but haven't got space to put in our own tumble drier so it's the only option.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »