Talk

Advanced search

Mugs in the office

(91 Posts)
HotChocolateLover Thu 10-Oct-19 07:30:21

Lighthearted Would you take someone else’s mug in the office which has their name printed on it?!! I had to rescue mine from someone’s desk which was half filled with cold coffee yesterday and think it’s really rude, especially as there are plenty of other cups. The offender didn’t even wash it up and didn’t apologise. It was a present from my husband. Will she be rooting through my handbag next time??!!

EdithWeston Thu 10-Oct-19 07:36:30

No I wouldn't

And I've taken to task a young management trainee who did it quite often, and breezily said 'oh I don't care about stuff like that'

I told him that other people did care, and that he was fast getting a reputation for being an inconsiderate tosser, and perhaps he might want to consider the importance of getting along with his coworkers.

He did grow up a bit.

KnifeAngel Thu 10-Oct-19 07:39:44

Keep it in your drawer. That's what I used to do when working in an office.

HotChocolateLover Thu 10-Oct-19 07:41:10

@EdithWeston Glad i’m not being silly then. It’s just that DH bought it as a special present for starting my new job last year and I resent it being taken. Especially when I have to go and look for it myself.

jomaIone Thu 10-Oct-19 07:42:28

It wasn't taken! It was used... Very dramatic if you ask me.

If you don't want anyone else using it, you need to keep it on your desk.

CassandraGemini Thu 10-Oct-19 07:45:10

🤷‍♀️ Someone used your mug. No one died. Chill out.

Heatherjayne1972 Thu 10-Oct-19 07:47:21

It’s a fate worse than death in our place
Everyone has ‘their’ cup and if you use the wrong cup it’s WW111
There’s even a list up so you can’t get it wrong

HotChocolateLover Thu 10-Oct-19 07:48:03

@cassandragemini My definition of taken, I removing from my possession so I have no idea where it is. 😂 Yes, I should chill out (and have) after this awful incident 😉 My main beef is just that you shouldn’t use someone’s property without their express permission. Get your own!

verytiredandstressed Thu 10-Oct-19 07:48:38

Mine is always taken it's not particularly fancy or anything .
I try and remember to wash it and put it back on my desk at the end of the day . It annoys me a bit because then I have to ask for it back or use another which is probably someone else's .

NemoIsLost Thu 10-Oct-19 07:49:07

I work in a hospital, my mug is often found in the Drs office, despite then having their own stash!
It's just a boring pink mug with my initial on it so j don't know why they love it so muchgrin
I now try to remember to put it in my locker after every shift.....except now they are taking our lockers away from us🙈

AgentProvocateur Thu 10-Oct-19 07:49:15

I’d hate to work in an office where people were territorial about mugs.

GooseFeather Thu 10-Oct-19 07:50:04

It's a mug. It was in a communal area. If you are precious about it, don't leave it where others can use it. I just pick up the first available mug and would not notice a name on it.

Sarcelle Thu 10-Oct-19 07:52:38

If it causes that much angst use it at home. Or wash it up at the end of the day and stick it in a drawer/locker.

Serious over reaction.

Dontfuckingsaycheese Thu 10-Oct-19 07:52:54

How many mugs are there? I mean. Is there a host of mugs in the office which includes those for general usage and those for specific people? If they're all mixed together tbh I think I'd just grab one. Eg when I was volunteering at a school I had no way of knowing if the 'best teacher' mug was for general use or whether there was a 'best teacher' who would go all huffy if I used it! They could have left years ago for all I knew. Keep it separate if you wish to keep for your sole usage I'd say!

Paddington68 Thu 10-Oct-19 07:53:34

Steal my mug, I'll steal your keyboard.

which1 Thu 10-Oct-19 07:53:36

I keep mine on my desk.
I don't know where all the stuff in our staff kitchen goes, we often have to replace as the number of spoons, bowls etc constantly dwindles. I wonder if people take them home!!!

meditrina Thu 10-Oct-19 07:58:12

It isn't difficult to equip yourself with a mug (or mugs) and then use it. Refrain from taking and using other people's stuff without asking.

Basic consideration really.

BeyondMyWits Thu 10-Oct-19 07:59:03

The cleanest mugs get "borrowed", mine is tannin stained and never used by others, not that I get much chance to use it anyhow.

HotChocolateLover Thu 10-Oct-19 08:01:29

It’s got my full name on it. It’s clear it’s mine. 90% of the office bring in their own and we leave them in the kitchen. For those that don’t there are loads of other ‘visitor’ mugs that can be used. It’s not the mug per se. I just don’t like my property being taken. If taking clearly labelled property is acceptable then what else is fair game? Anyhow, it’s lighthearted. I have it back now, phew! Currently having my tea ☕️

ExpletiveDelighted Thu 10-Oct-19 08:02:28

All mugs in the kitchen cupboard are treated as communal where I work, regardless of who brought them in, if you want to keep one for yourself you need to keep it somewhere like your desk or locker.

KatherineJaneway Thu 10-Oct-19 08:09:28

I am with you op, don't understand people who use other people's things without permission. I had a bag for life under my desk that I used often, one day it had gone. Couldn't find it anywhere. Spoke to a colleague who was like 'someone's clearly borrowed it'. I was gobsmacked someone would go under my desk, take my bag and use it without asking. It reappeared a few weeks later. Luckily I never found out who it was or I'd have had a few sharp words with them.

isntshelovely11 Thu 10-Oct-19 08:16:48

I'm exactly the same OP! It infuriates me so much because where I work there were mugs and bowls provided by the company but a lot of people brought in their own mugs. I had my own mug and bowl from home with my name on because I knew it was cleaned properly by myself and didn't want to use the ones everyone else used cause they never cleaned them properly! Every single day I would have to go on a hunt for my bowl and mug and they would either be left by the sink, not been cleaned or in use by someone. In the end I threw them in the bin and got new ones that I kept in my bag. People are very inconsiderate!!

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Thu 10-Oct-19 08:21:03

Isn't it just basic good manners to establish what the rules are around mugs in the place where you work? In my old job I had my own mug which I kept in my desk drawer because there were no common mugs and if I'd left it in the kitchen it would have disappeared, probably into another department, and I'd never have seen it again. In my current job there's a cupboard full of random mugs which everybody uses. I'm only in the office occasionally so it's not worth keepng my own mug there. I use a random one. I always give it a good wash first. I've noticed a colleague keeps her own mug in the office but as she only has redbush tea, no milk, she doesn't bother much about washing it. It's very stained and consequently perfectly safe from mug thieves borrowers. grin

homemadecommunistrussia Thu 10-Oct-19 08:26:08

I keep mine in my locker, but I would never use a mug that had a name on it and I wouldn't use it and not wash it up that's for sure.

AliceLittle Thu 10-Oct-19 08:35:51

As long as you start sending emails out about it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »