Talk

Advanced search

House alarm ringing during powercut

(8 Posts)
Dottydoodoo Thu 10-Oct-19 00:19:47

We have had a powercut since about 10ish this morning. According to the power company it should be coming back on in the next hour or so. About 20 minutes ago our house alarm started up a shrill ring which is not stopping. DH seems to be able to sleep beautifully through this noise and even if he does wake up I don’t think either of us have the first clue what the code is for the alarm. Please please please can someone tell me that it is just going to magically reset itself and shut up once the power comes back on? I can’t listen to this all night I’m going to go insane sad

sniffysnifferson Thu 10-Oct-19 08:47:54

It will be the back up battery thats failed. Usually blares out for about half hour then stops going by our old alarm.

AlanThePig Thu 10-Oct-19 11:24:26

Batteries aren't hugely expensive usually, though might be a good opportunity to get the alarm serviced and check everything is working as it should be.

TheQueef Thu 10-Oct-19 11:25:42

0000 or 000000
That's our last and current alarm codes, try those grin

Roomba Thu 10-Oct-19 11:28:12

This happened to us when we had a four day long power cut due to storm desmond. It was the backup battery going, wish it didn't run out at 3am as it scared the hell out of us and I couldn't work out how to stop it! Even when I out there code it it kept happening again a few minutes later. Ended up cutting a wire to the panel and having to get it fixed later - hope you solve it without having to resort to this!

Dottydoodoo Thu 10-Oct-19 20:01:39

Thank you everyone. DH eventually (about an hour and a half later) woke up and helped me investigate! We ended up opening up the panel and DH pulled something out, a big round metal thing I’ve no idea what it was but it made the noise stop!! We have put it on our list of jobs as a priority to get sorted but the strange thing is the alarm was not sounding outside it was only inside the house. The power eventually came back on about 6am!

PurpleCrazyHorse Thu 10-Oct-19 20:13:00

Ours did the same and it was the back up battery. Get the alarm serviced and they'll sort it out. Ours wasn't expensive.

bigbluebus Thu 10-Oct-19 20:19:49

Back up batteries only last for a certain length of time. After we had an 8 hour power outage our back up battery failed and we couldn't turn the alarm off even with the code. (it stopped and then rang again). CWe had to call the alarm company out (fortunately we have an annual service contract so they came within 1/2 hour). They put a bigger battery in so it will last longer if the power is off for any length of time again. Next door neighbour had never had their alarm serviced and the back up battery had long since died so he tore the wires out from somewhere which disabled it for good!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »