Talk

Advanced search

Quick! I can’t shake the feeling I’ve left a candle lit when I went out

(30 Posts)
IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Wed 09-Oct-19 14:52:39

On my way to an interview, I’ll be out until 8/9pm.

It was a brand new Aldi jo Malone dupe one in a glass pot, on a stone draining board, a plant nearby and a soda stream about 6 inches from it.

I remember blowing it out, I’m sure I do, but I can’t shake the feeling I haven’t.

If I go back home now I’ll miss the interview (already rearranged once so this is last chance saloon, I won’t get the job). The only person with spare keys won’t be home until midnight.

Do I go home?! I don’t know what to do

HollowTalk Wed 09-Oct-19 14:53:38

You lit a candle in the middle of the day?

I wouldn't worry about it - I'd assume I'd blown it out.

Ostanovka Wed 09-Oct-19 14:53:48

Ring a neighbour to look through the window?

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Wed 09-Oct-19 14:57:18

It’s at the back of the house where the garden is and no way someone can look in without climbing the fence and the neighbor on the right is a v elderly man and the neighbor to the right is the one that won’t be home until midnight!

Argh!

Thank you btw

Lamentations Wed 09-Oct-19 15:22:48

I know it's not ideal to leave a candle lit but they are designed to burn down within their own jar without much fuss. Forget about it.

Good luck with your interview.

MustardScreams Wed 09-Oct-19 15:24:55

Even if it is lit it’ll just burn down in the glass. That’s why they’re there for.

Do you have pets that can access the kitchen?

IncrediblySadToo Wed 09-Oct-19 15:25:50

It’s in a jar on a stone bench I really wouldn’t worry.

Easier said than done I suppose.

The only other thing you could do is get a friend to go around and pay a locksmith to open the door

..or ask a local teenager!

Spied Wed 09-Oct-19 15:28:11

I have some lovely candles but don't light them for this very reason!!!!
Many times I've been out and have got it in my mind I have left it lit and it's made me I'll with worry and I've not been able to shake the dreaded feeling so I've had to go back home. Each and every one of times I have blown it out however I'd rather be on the safe side.

Bumfuzzled Wed 09-Oct-19 15:30:38

If it’s in its own jar it will be fine. Realistically what could happen? Not a lot. It can’t fall over or touch something that will set alight.

Good luck with the interview smile

chemenger Wed 09-Oct-19 15:33:34

I once went from Warrington to London on the train, to a meeting then back convinced that I had left the grill on. I hadn’t. I bet you blew the candle out as well. It will be fine in its jar on a heat proof surface anyway.

Rystall Wed 09-Oct-19 15:40:55

Of course you blew it out. You’ve described it here very clearly. Do not go home and miss your opportunity.

What you’re experiencing is most likely nerves / anxiety about the interview. Your mind playing tricks on you. Everything is fine and very best of luck with the interview. Deep breaths, maintain eye contact, confident hand shake and smile!!!

Nottobesoldseparately Wed 09-Oct-19 15:42:08

Don't worry.
I leave mine burning all the time, on purpose.
AND I'm married to a fireman!

Tighnabruaich Wed 09-Oct-19 15:45:01

I was on an hour long train journey and suddenly thought I'd left the iron on at home. I phoned my husband who had to leave work and drive home - he called back to say not only had I NOT left it on, but it was neatly put away in its box.
I wouldn't worry about the candle if it's in a glass jar and on a secure surface.

Soosiesoo Wed 09-Oct-19 15:45:23

I'll bet you've blown it out! As a pp said,it'll be anxiety about the interview.

I hate this feeling! I do it all the time about my straighteners, even though they automatically turn off after so long. I've even left work to pop home and check. They're always off!

Itsemily Wed 09-Oct-19 15:48:10

I went out the other day for 8 hours and totally forgot I lit a candle first thing in the morning, it was still lit when I got home and no problems. That was in a glass jar (a yankee one), and on a wooden surface.
Don't worry, and good luck in your interview x

BertieBotts Wed 09-Oct-19 15:52:21

It will be fine. You haven't left it on. But even if you have, it will be fine. The position you've described it will just burn itself out. It will be a waste of a lovely candle, but not worth going home or calling anybody over.

Bellringer Wed 09-Oct-19 15:57:24

Anxiety, slight OCD.

dottiedodah Wed 09-Oct-19 16:07:51

I like Candles but cant really cope with the anxiety!.

Isthatrightaye Wed 09-Oct-19 19:15:20

How did the interview go OP?

I woke up one morning with a candle still burning from the night before blush

Just this week I turned and drove home on the way to work fully convinced I’d left the iron on - I hadn’t! And I was late angry

I’m going to get a smart plug for this exact reason - doesn’t help with candles though I know.

Happysummer2020 Wed 09-Oct-19 19:37:48

Update OP?!!
How was the interview and was the candle ok?

Toddlerteaplease Wed 09-Oct-19 19:38:21

I also left a candle burning overnight. Fortunately it was in a glass holder, and the cats don't climb.

HalfManHalfLabrador Wed 09-Oct-19 19:43:54

It’s probably just interview nerves manifesting themselves and the candle is out

IHopeYouStepOnALegoPiece Wed 09-Oct-19 22:57:47

I didn’t leave the candle burning and they offered me the job on the spot grin

Got a job and didn’t burn the house down...I’d call that a pretty good day gringrin

HeadintheiClouds Wed 09-Oct-19 22:58:46

Result!

Ithinkwerealonenowtiffany Wed 09-Oct-19 23:10:24

Why the shock @HollowTalk? People do light them in the day.

Well done OP!! (Send me good interview vibes please-have one on Monday)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »