Talk

Advanced search

How much physical affection do you and your DP show each other?

(54 Posts)
BigbreastsBiggerbeard Tue 08-Oct-19 20:21:28

Are you hand holders? Huggers? Do you like to sit with your legs touching whilst sitting watching TV? And how important is physical affection to you?

We're all individuals, I know, and all have different needs, so I guess it's really curiosity. This has been at the forefront of my mind lately, so guess I'm hoping to find I'm 'normal'! Yeah, yeah, I know, there's no normal....

Would love to hear how important it is to others smile

QforCucumber Tue 08-Oct-19 20:23:14

DH and I have been together almost 9 years, we are not hand holders and we sleep facing away from each other, but we always have a kiss or a cuddle through the day.

PickAChew Tue 08-Oct-19 20:23:37

Naff all. He's not a touchy feely sort of person.

WickedLemon Tue 08-Oct-19 20:24:43

We always kiss hello/goodbye. Hold hands occasionally in public. Sit on the sofa watching TV with legs draped over each other or one of us will snuggle into the other.

Physical affection is of some importance to me, not hugely important but if there was none then we’re just housemates, not partners.

Yeahnahyeah1 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:26:29

A lot, we’ve been together 3.5 years and married 2 months, so I guess it’s still early-ish days but I don’t think it’ll change too much, we’re both very touchy feely and it’s important to us both to be physical with each other. We’re on separate sofas right now but he’s got his hand on my leg, for example.

wonderwooman Tue 08-Oct-19 20:28:01

- Occasional hand holders in public.
- we hug when one of us is showing empathy rather than as everyday thing
- we kiss goodbye rather than hello
- we sit on different sofas
- we cuddle up in bed as long as it’s not too hot

Deedee248 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:28:16

We’ve been married 31 years. Still hold hands sometimes when we go out. Usually sit close on the sofa with physical contact. Have a regular cuddle or hug during the day. Always kiss goodnight or goodbye. Physical contact is really important to both of us.

wonderwooman Tue 08-Oct-19 20:28:40

sorry, should have said, married nearly 19 years

missyB1 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:30:37

Always kiss goodbye, often have random hugs and kisses. In the evening I sit with my feet on his lap so he can rub them. We cuddle up in bed.
Both in our 50s been married 11 years.

tempnamechange98765 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:30:57

We've been together 9 years, married over 5.5, 2 kids (one is a baby). We don't hold hands in public - DH has never been a fan! We cuddle a lot in bed at night (when it's not boiling) and DH in fairness is good at always making the effort to give me a hug/quick kiss/bum squeeze grin

BigbreastsBiggerbeard Tue 08-Oct-19 20:31:47

This is good to hear, thank you.

PickAChew - does that bother you? I know some people are just not into touching and whatnot. I am, so would miss it, but it's hard when you're with someone that's not fussed!

CherryPavlova Tue 08-Oct-19 20:32:23

Together 32 years married 28. Hand holders sometimes when we’re out walking and the world feels good.
Kiss hello, goodbye, for no real reason.
Hugs often. Empathy, joy, celebration, comfort.
Draping over sofa. No, too uncomfortable and dog gets jealous. We use different sofas.

Ember12 Tue 08-Oct-19 20:32:42

No hand holding. Sit on different sofas, face away in bed. Kiss goodbye and goodnight. Been together 9 happy years.

areyoubeingserviced Tue 08-Oct-19 20:33:01

Married eighteen years.
Lots of hugging and hand holding

confusedofengland Tue 08-Oct-19 20:33:16

Been together 19 years.

Always hold hands walking along. At home we have different ends of the sofa, but if we're sitting together we'll often hold hands or snuggle. In bed, we have to have at least one part touching each other to go to sleep, even if only little fingers or feet blush

Also say I love you a lot throughout the day (random intervals!)

JorisBonson Tue 08-Oct-19 20:34:14

Neither of us are particularly tactile but we always hold hands / link arms when its just the two of us.

milski Tue 08-Oct-19 20:36:12

Me and DH hardly ever hold hands. We sit on different sofas. Sleep in separate beds. We always kiss hello and goodbye. Neither of us are very affectionate but i do crave it a lot but don't really instigate it very much. We have very young children but that's no excuse. I think I need to buck my ideas up and make more of an effort after reading these posts!

StarlingsInSummer Tue 08-Oct-19 20:38:41

We’ve very touchy feely. DH a bit too much at times! Verbally affectionate too. We’re both from huggy families, and DS is also a cuddle monster too.

Trinpy Tue 08-Oct-19 20:40:16

Been together 11 years, married for 8.

Physical affection is very important to both of us. Lots of hugs and kisses, we always cuddle up together on the sofa, also tell each other we love each other every day. We only hold hands some of that time but that's usually because we're busy herding cats trying to get the dcs to keep up and walk in a straight line.

Ninkaninus Tue 08-Oct-19 20:40:20

We are very snuggly. Hold hands while out, hug and kiss a lot, snuggle up on the sofa to watch telly, quite often sleep snuggled up too.

I’m glad he likes to give and receive affection as much as I do. Sometimes he even wants it more than I do, which I find really endearing and reassuring. I don’t think I could be happy and really feel emotionally secure with someone who wasn’t physically demonstrative.

EmmiJay Tue 08-Oct-19 20:40:34

I was a straddler if we were alone. shrug

MattBerrysHair Tue 08-Oct-19 20:40:36

Hold hands when walking quite a lot, lots of spontaneous hugs and kisses when we're alone, often sit watching TV with my legs up on his lap, kiss hello and goodbye eery time. However, I hate anyone touching me when I want to sleep so we face away from each other. Sometimes I even sleep in another room. Been together 4 years.

Whatsyournameagain Tue 08-Oct-19 20:41:55

None whatsoever, not a good morning or good night kiss, zilch. We are both from families that show no affection and never say ‘I love you’, so it’s hardly a surprise! I hate it, but feel after 20 years it’s way too late to start showing/asking him for affection now!

Pollaidh Tue 08-Oct-19 20:44:31

Together 16 years, married 11.

Hand/arm holding when out and about without children hanging off us.
Kiss hello and goodbye.
Random hugs/cuddles/sit on lap during day.
If watching television we sit on same sofa, pressed up against each other. Sometimes he sleeps with his head on my lap, to have his head stroked.
In bed it varies, sometimes a cuddle, sometimes not, but tend to sleep away from each other (SK bed) with maybe a leg in contact.

BigbreastsBiggerbeard Tue 08-Oct-19 20:44:57

Ninkaninus - that's it, feeling emotionally secure. I'd find it endearing too if he initiated it more!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »