Talk

Advanced search

Too hot in bed

(43 Posts)
purpleme12 Sun 06-Oct-19 23:23:52

I have 4.5 quilt in bed
I'm still too hot. Our house is not a hot house at all, colder than a lot of people have their houses. A sheet is too thin and I can't sleep with nothing on me. Is there anything thinner than this?

VaggieMight Sun 06-Oct-19 23:28:59

A blanket?

I can't sleep with just a sheet either, but during summer I sleep under an empty quilt cover which it comfy and cool.

MoltonSilver Sun 06-Oct-19 23:32:46

Do you have a memory foam mattress? They are insanely warm. If you do, I'd suggest getting quilted mattress topper to form a barrier between you and the memory foam.

purpleme12 Sun 06-Oct-19 23:37:40

I'm not sure if it's memory foam. It's only second hand. It was my dad's so it's years old!

I didn't used to be like this. It's not like I'm sweating or anything I'm just a bit too hot. It's a bit more bearable now it's got colder than before

MoltonSilver Sun 06-Oct-19 23:47:38

Is there another bed in the house you could move to for a couple of nights to see if its any different?

DramaAlpaca Sun 06-Oct-19 23:51:39

You're not perimenopausal are you? I suddenly found I was always too hot in bed & was constantly throwing sheets & light duvets on & off. You could try a thin, cotton eiderdown-style cover. Heavier than a sheet but lighter than a 4.5 tog duvet.

IncrediblySadToo Sun 06-Oct-19 23:55:23

I keep feeling too hot as well but I’m
Late 40’s (so could be menopause, but I’m. It sweaty hot, just burning up?!) it the fact I’m eating keto (lots of people apparently get hot)

But you do have lots of options

-1/2/3 tog duvet
- Empty duvet cover
- quilt (rather than duvet)
- sheet & blanket
- leggings & T-shirt with a sheet
Etc

If you think it’s the bedding that’s making you hot, but it could be hormonal (any issues with periods etc?!)

As your mattress is old it’s probably not memory foam, but worth checking (just look st it you’ll be able to tell). I cannot sleep on it, I know within 20 minutes of being in a bed if it’s MF.

SpaceCadet4000 Mon 07-Oct-19 01:03:37

We sleep with a sheet and a cotton quilt. Anything more than that and we're too warm.

What pyjamas are you wearing? I've had a couple of pairs that leave me sweating like crazy.

Stringervest Mon 07-Oct-19 01:11:13

This happens to me. It started when I was pregnant with DD but never stopped. This was also around the time I got an Eve mattress which has memory foam in it.

I feel sorry for DH who feels the cold and finds it very hard sharing a bed with me because our bedding needs are so mismatched.

A 1 tog duvet helps me, as does sleeping with a fan and sleeping with the window open. But it's hard, you have my sympathy!

Awwlookatmybabyspider Mon 07-Oct-19 04:33:30

My fan has worked wonders for me.

purpleme12 Mon 07-Oct-19 07:11:39

Thanks I'll have a look into some of these.
Can't see why I would be peri menopausal from this?

purpleme12 Mon 07-Oct-19 07:25:45

I just wear summer pyjamas or short sleeved pyjama top

BarbaraofSeville Mon 07-Oct-19 08:25:08

I'm the same, but I'm probably perimenopausal - I'm 46. Luckily DP never feels the cold so we manage with the 4.5 tog quilt, naked sleeping, open window 90% of the year.

Only in the depths of winter do I feel the need to wear something and that's usually just a t shirt and socks.

In summer we just use the empty duvet cover. We did have a 3 tog quilt but seem to have lost it(!). When I bought it I remember a choice between a 1.5 and a 3, so there's probably a selection available from usual places to buy bedding, I think I got mine in Debenhams.

Because of this I never sleep well in hotels because they always seem to have at least a 10.5 tog quilt which is ridiculous. Every time I enter a hotel room, I have to make sure the heating is off and the window is open if I have a hope of getting any sleep.

mankyfourthtoe Mon 07-Oct-19 08:36:11

A wool duvet, revolutionised my sleep. We also have two singles on the bed now too.

Coffeeandchocolate9 Mon 07-Oct-19 08:40:49

I have a 1 tog duvet and a pet dog cooling mat under my feet in bed because they're weirdly hot all the time. I just run on hot. When the weather cools some more I'll ditch the cooling mat and go to my slightly thicker 4.5 tog duvet.

purpleme12 Mon 07-Oct-19 08:56:53

I thought wool would be hotter?

I didn't know there was 1 and 3 tog duvets. I've never seen them before but I've probably only looked in the supermarkets.

There are things I can try

I sometimes wake up with headaches and I do wonder if it's because I'm too hot cos I know that's one thing that can set them off

RaymondStopThat Mon 07-Oct-19 09:00:42

Have your always been this hot? If not, and you're age fits, then yes you could be peri menopausal. Wool duvets are brilliant, and no they aren't hotter. Take a look on Baavet or the Devon Duvet Company's website.

Legomadx2 Mon 07-Oct-19 09:01:46

Does sound a bit peri to me. I'm the same.

inwood Mon 07-Oct-19 09:16:03

I'm the same, blaming peri. I want the windows open at night, DH doesn't. He's still got the duvet but I've got a thin cotton quilt. It's horrible.

I'm also too hot getting ready in the morning, had to turn off the heating and open the back doors. The kids weren't happy at all.

mankyfourthtoe Mon 07-Oct-19 10:47:08

No not hotter. I got mine from the Woolroom. They explain it on their website.
I have a condition where if I get hot I itch and can't stop, went on holiday and didn't itch. They had wool duvets, so much lighter. We have summer ones all year round and just put a blanket on when it's freezing.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 07-Oct-19 11:06:34

I like the idea of a wool duvet but I have no idea what thickness/tog rating I would need and they're expensive so not something to get wrong.

Must study the website to see if it becomes clearer.

purpleme12 Mon 07-Oct-19 11:40:04

I'm mid 30, on the lower end of mid. Too early surely?! I don't think I should have that yet!

mankyfourthtoe Mon 07-Oct-19 12:02:18

I'm quite a hot being, I got a summer one. They don't do togs. We've both been fine with it. Both adddd a blanket in winter

curlyLJ Mon 07-Oct-19 12:11:40

I have a wool duvet (the summer weight one from Wool Room) and a wool mattress topper as well. It really helps and although I sometimes still get hot, I don't get sweaty like I do with synthetic duvets.
They are better for you as well as dust mites can't live in them.

FizzyGreenWater Mon 07-Oct-19 12:12:22

Check the memory foam thing - I can't bear them, there is no air movement so they are a sweatbox. But if this is recent and you've had to mattress years possibly not.

However if it is mem foam then getting rid of it and getting a sprung mattress will make a huge difference.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »