Talk

Advanced search

Can I get flu vaccine for my 1 year old?

(11 Posts)
Mylovelydog Thu 03-Oct-19 22:27:46

I'm planning on getting flu jab myself - do any pharmacies offer this for an 18 month old? I've googled and can call them tomorrow but wondered if anyone knows from experience

Thanks

dementedpixie Thu 03-Oct-19 22:30:46

healthclinics.superdrug.com/services/flu-vaccine seems to say check with local pharmacy

DeadDoorpost Thu 03-Oct-19 22:31:48

Nhs website says only if they're in a high risk group for flu

Minimonkeysmum Thu 03-Oct-19 22:32:54

I don't think so, unfortunately. The nasal spray for children isn't offered privately, (& pharmacies aren't keen to vaccinate children with the injection) and children of that age are unlikely to pick it up and spread it in the same way. If you're worried, vaccinate those around them and hope enough people do it to get good herd immunity.

Minimonkeysmum Thu 03-Oct-19 22:35:34

Ah, looks like some places may now do it. Children who are at risk (6m +) should get it for free through gp/pharmacy though - forgot to mention that!

LifeOfLimes Thu 03-Oct-19 22:43:57

Can't have the nasal spray if under 2.

Pharmacy will only vaccinate adults not children, they will direct you to GP.

GP/nurse will but only if at high risk.

dementedpixie Thu 03-Oct-19 22:50:13

Superdrug does children. Children from 6 months to age 2 get the injection. Read the superdrug link I posted

dementedpixie Thu 03-Oct-19 22:51:00

From the link:

Children:The flu jab is suitable for children over the age of six months. For young children please call to check availability with your local pharmacy first

LifeOfLimes Thu 03-Oct-19 23:06:36

I stand corrected. Last year they refused us hmm
Thanks for the link, I shall ask again this year.
Have you successfully had a child's flu jab from a pharmacy/superdrug? It would save me so much hassle with the GP (will only vaccinate high risk child and not other 2)- I'm getting my hopes up now. grin

PowerslidePanda Thu 10-Oct-19 10:40:40

I tried calling a few Superdrug branches with pharmacies (as advised by their website) and got nowhere! However, I then called their central health clinic line and spoke to a nice woman who said that they're still waiting on supplies for the under 9s vaccine and expect it to be available from October 28th. I hadn't given her any location details at that point, so assume it's the case across the country.

namechangedforthis1980 Thu 10-Oct-19 10:45:19

I thought all children are now eligible up to year 6? Or is that just school age?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »