Talk

Advanced search

I have a pigeon???

(9 Posts)
hellenbackagen Wed 11-Sep-19 22:38:09

Saw a fluffed up pidge tonight hiding in the corner of my garden.

Went out and she was absolutely passive. I picked her up. No injuries or tattoos or rings.

She is spending the night in a box with seed and water in my kitchen.

She's really pretty. She isn't a wood piidge.
I've phoned vet and rspca and they said keep her overnight in a box with water.

In morning. - what???? Help!

pottedshrimps Wed 11-Sep-19 23:04:03

It'll either be sick or injured so I'd take it to the vets in the morning.

redthefraggle Wed 11-Sep-19 23:30:59

This makes me laugh because I had a feral pigeon a couple of years ago. It took residence in my storm porch, wasn't obviously sick or injured but wouldn't fly away either. It went for a wander around the local area during the day and I could never find it to take it to the wild bird sanctuary which was only open when it went wandering. 4pm on the dot it would be back. We fed and watered it and put a box out for it, ever hopeful that it would sort itself out but it didn't and after 5 days of keeping our fingers crossed that a cat wouldn't find it I managed to take it to the sanctuary who kept it in even though there was nothing obvious wrong with it.

What made me laugh about your post was that, one day a neighbour hammered away on my door while I was hoovering to tell me that 'my pigeon' was being cornered by a cat and that I should go and rescue it. I just kept thinking 'it's feral, it's not MY fecking pigeon'! Regardless, I hate to see an animal in any kind of distress, even if it only wants a bit of shelter and some company!

BTW, we name her Clara Pidge after Long Distance Clara from Pigeon Street. I hope she recovered from whatever it was.

Take yours to a vet or bird sanctuary if you have one. Good luck!

redthefraggle Wed 11-Sep-19 23:40:56

In short, what I meant to say is, you may have a new pet grin

hellenbackagen Wed 11-Sep-19 23:54:22

Lol!
She
Doesn't look like a Wild pidge .' I'll
See what she's like in mornin
X

Slippersandacuppa Wed 11-Sep-19 23:58:32

Have you got a wildlife rescue place near you? They are the best ones to ask. Vets and rspca not so much in my experience. I can ask our local one for any recommendations if you can let me know right area?

hellenbackagen Thu 12-Sep-19 20:01:32

Took her to vet this morning. Turns out she was a dove.
A sick old dove sad vet put her to sleep as she was skin and bone. At least she didn't get eaten by a cat .

JesusInTheCabbageVan Thu 12-Sep-19 20:22:52

Rip pidge sadflowers

Now, as this is MN, can you stretch her to feed a family of 5 for a week?

hellenbackagen Thu 12-Sep-19 21:27:47

😂 lol!!!

She was a dove. No pigeon pie here . Lol!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »