Talk

Advanced search

Stomach cramps after running

(11 Posts)
Blankiefan Wed 11-Sep-19 21:14:37

Does anyone else get this? Like IBS-y cramps.

Doesn't matter what I eat - I've tried half a banana, a piece of toast, a yoghurt, eģgs. All an hour before my run. And still 5-10 mins afterwards I start cramping. It can last up to half an hour.

Anyone else managed to stop this?

motorcyclenumptiness Wed 11-Sep-19 21:38:06

Blood gets diverted to your running muscles from your digestive system and it can give you stomach cramps. Usually happens if you're newish to running or are ramping up distance or speed and usually kicks in when you stop running (waiting to cross a road or at the end of a run). I carry emergency Immodium when out running but have never needed to deploy it! Running on an empty stomach helps. And it gets better as you get fitter and your body adapts.

SudowoodoVoodoo Wed 11-Sep-19 22:38:32

You might need longer to digest first.

Any caffiene? That can stimulate the bowels.

I struggled a lot in the early days. It was part of learning about some of my low tolerances to certain foods. It has eased with experience

Buscopan is good for easing digestive cramps... let's just say, I don't do long distance races without it... I've got used to distance over time and training pace is fine, but the sustained impact of race pace takes its toll.

MrsBlondie Wed 11-Sep-19 22:40:03

Running an hour after food is too soon for me. Needs to be 2 hours minimum.

Blankiefan Wed 11-Sep-19 22:47:09

Glad to know I'm not alone. I had IBS years ago triggered by stress but not for more than a decade. I'm new (again!) To running but about 8 weeks in. My fitness is really improving so I'm running further and the cramps seem worse. I was super unfit to start with and am now (very slowly) running 4-5k twice per week.

I'll try eating 2 hours before next time.

lastqueenofscotland Wed 11-Sep-19 22:51:09

Do you really need to eat before running? Have you tried fasted to see if that helps

MoltonSilver Wed 11-Sep-19 22:55:26

I need to wait 2 hours too. I think that's fairly common. Well done on getting up to 5k.

Loopytiles Wed 11-Sep-19 22:57:44

Agree with PPs, don’t eat beforehand

Blankiefan Thu 12-Sep-19 06:07:37

I've tried running on an empty stomach but it's a miserable affair. I have a running group at half six in the evening and if I haven't eaten since lunchtime, I'm (even) slower and it's really hard work.

Delatron Thu 12-Sep-19 07:07:26

What about an electrolyte/sports drink a bit before? I definitely wouldn’t eat an hour before running. If you run at 6.30 then an afternoon snack at about 3pm should see you through.

Loopytiles Thu 12-Sep-19 07:30:39

When I do exercise at 6.30 I eat something light at 4/4.30

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »