Advanced search

Would you call the police?

(14 Posts)
branstonfickle Wed 11-Sep-19 17:55:39

My immediate neighbours ex partner has come to her house on two occasions within 1 week banging on all the doors and windows aggressively for over 20 minutes at a time. He trespassed into her back garden to get to the back door by climbing over the fence as the gate is visibly locked from what I can see. Should I call non emergency police if it happens again or go straight to 999? I don’t work and spend a lot of time in my front garden so know my neighbour is home when this is going on and there is also a small child in the property. I can only imagine how scared they are. I feel awful for not opening the door and telling him to sod off but don’t want to risk him being violent towards me. From when I’ve spoken to her I know he’s moved out so he’s not locked out or anything as it’s not his house

brittlestar Wed 11-Sep-19 18:01:03

Yes call 999 and speak to the police, they will come out as a priority especially with a child in the house.

cakeandchampagne Wed 11-Sep-19 18:08:45

Treat it as an emergency and call the police every time.

Vikki69 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:29:41

Non of your business

KatharinaRosalie Wed 11-Sep-19 20:33:18

Would you call 999 if it was a random man climbing over he fence and trying to break into a house? Most female murder victims are killed by their current or ex partner. Of course call.

Soola Wed 11-Sep-19 20:35:57

I have.

Years ago a young woman and her father lived opposite me and her alcoholic abusive mother would show up once a month, drunk as a skunk and hammer the door yelling obscenities.

My children were young and I didn’t want them hearing this.

I knocked and told the young woman I was going to call the police and she was embarrassed but pleased that I was going to do so.

The first couple of times the police took the woman away but dropped her off at the station to catch her train back home.

The third tome they sent two Coppers, one of them a big built chap with a Mancunian accent and he physically grabbed the woman and put her against the side of the house and he bellowed in her face.

Then they drove her away. We never saw her again so I was grateful the burly policeman put the frighteners on her.

HappyHammy Wed 11-Sep-19 20:38:19

I'd call emergency number and speak to your ndn about this, say you are worried for her and the child. She can seek help from the police and set up an emergency panic alarm.

saraclara Wed 11-Sep-19 20:40:54

Non of your business

That's how women get murdered, @Vikki69 People ignoring violent sounds and actions from their neighbours because "it's none of my business"

Nancyjuice7 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:48:53

Ring the police so it is recorded on DV call out logs. Can be used against him if he ends up in court.
999 is acceptable if he's been there imminently.
101 if at a later date, state you are worried about her and want to report.
On both make it clear there is a child in the property

Nancyjuice7 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:51:11

@Vikki69 Ridiculous comment. 1 woman a week is murdered by her ex/partner, look up the 8 steps to murder, one of those is stalking and harassment.

JesusInTheCabbageVan Wed 11-Sep-19 20:54:44

Vikki69 OK, well this thread is 'non' of your business, so why don't you pop off to bed now?

ASauvignonADay Wed 11-Sep-19 21:18:18

Yes absolutely I'd phone the police

PrimeMumister Wed 11-Sep-19 21:27:51

Definitely call 999, I'm glad she has you as a concerned neighbour thanks

Gilead Wed 11-Sep-19 23:03:31

I have been in that position and would have been grateful if the neighbours had called the police.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »