Talk

Advanced search

Parliament suspension ruled unlawful!

(22 Posts)
Clawdy Wed 11-Sep-19 11:06:28

Wow, what happens now?

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 11-Sep-19 11:42:48

But I thought our ole Lizzie bibbin passed it.
I didn’t think even the high courts could rule over the our lovely Queenie.

Clawdy Wed 11-Sep-19 11:47:40

All change, apparently. Looks like Johnson is in for a difficult day!

elasti Wed 11-Sep-19 12:01:17

Honestly this government is such a fucking joke.

PlinkPlink Wed 11-Sep-19 12:27:10

I cringe every time I see news about politics at the moment.

Yesterday was embarrassing enough.

tmh88 Wed 11-Sep-19 12:30:39

Is anyone else just completely lost with what’s happening these past couple of weeks?? I’m really struggling to keep up with any of it now! I try reading about it watching the news but it’s just not making any sense to me! I have followed really well up until past 1 or 2 weeks not sure if it’s cos I’m sick of hearing it now or if just literally nobody gets it now blushconfused

GoodwithRocksandGems Wed 11-Sep-19 12:35:08

Johnson should be attending his second PM questions this afternoon, not hiding in Downing St.

Soola Wed 11-Sep-19 13:03:17

Biased Scottish judges sticking the knife in. Disgraceful action which I hope will be overturned.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Wed 11-Sep-19 13:07:35

If it’s any consolation I’m exactly the same @tmh88.
I used to really into Politics, but It’s a total mine field at the moment.

sheshootssheimplores Wed 11-Sep-19 13:08:49

Johnson is trying to force Brexit through. I actually think he is just a tool to show it’s not possible. Then we can forget the referendum ever happened.

HollowTalk Wed 11-Sep-19 13:09:36

@Soola, it was the highest Judge in Scotland who made that statement - hardly "sticking the knife in."

Squiff70 Wed 11-Sep-19 13:15:43

Johnson will probably appeal this decision, but goodness only knows what happens next. I don't think anyone knows. The whole thing is just one massive mess.

MagneticSingularity Wed 11-Sep-19 13:19:28

‘Sticking the knife in’ is an odd description of a High Court Judge doing his job in ruling that the Prime Minister and the government should bloody well do theirs.
It’s not going away Boris, you wanted the fucking job - you’ve got it, now do what you’re being paid for and sort it out.

Farahilda Wed 11-Sep-19 13:19:57

That was in the Scottish courts.

So now it has to go to the Supreme Court. I didn't know if it likely that Parliament will be recalled before that happens.

The Crown cannot act unlawfully, in the sense that when endorsing her government's actions those actions must be lawful:
"The Court will accordingly make an Order declaring that the prime minister's advice to HM the Queen and the prorogation which followed thereon was unlawful and is thus null and of no effect."

So yes, a bit of a mess, but the Queen did not act wrongly - the first Scottish hearing upheld the prorogation, and the Supreme Court might yet do so again. It wasn't o obviously wrong that she should never have signed it off. For it is true that there is routinely a prorogation ahead of the Queen's speech, and it is also normal that a new Prome Minister would want to set out their government's programme and start business on that footing. It is also true that most of the time of the prorogation, Parliament would not be sitting anyhow (for Party Conferences, this happens every autumn). So it is a question of the Courts deciding if BJ has actually done something normal and minimised disruption to the House's planned sitting by putting it mainly in the conference recess, or if removing any days at all is so wrong it is unlawful.

BoycottBoycott Wed 11-Sep-19 13:31:27

It will go to the Supreme Court next Tuesday.

If they uphold the decision of the Scottish courts Parliament will be recalled and will sit until the end of October.

Not looking good for Boris..

HollowTalk Wed 11-Sep-19 13:43:47

He'll have to resign if they uphold it, surely?

meditrina Wed 11-Sep-19 13:48:18

"If they uphold the decision of the Scottish courts Parliament will be recalled and will sit until the end of October."

I don't think that's quite right

I expect Parliament will revert to its previous published terms, whrich means it rise on 14 September for the conferences, and resume on 9 October.

So if they do not resume ahead if the Supreme Court hearing, then there will be five extra days in October. If they resume immediately, then there can also be two days this week

donquixotedelamancha Wed 11-Sep-19 13:53:05

@tmh88

Is anyone else just completely lost with what’s happening these past couple of weeks?? I’m really struggling to keep up with any of it now!

- The Prime Minister (Boris Johnson) wants us to leave the EU at the end of october.

- The previous Prime Minister (Teresa May) negotiated an agreement about how we would leave the EU that most people thought was bad. Boris Johnson has been saying he wants to quickly negotiate a better deal, but has not said what it is- so most people assume he's lying.

- Leaving without a deal no will: End all our free trade agreements with other countries; delay all goods coming into and out of the country; break the truce we signed with the IRA and quite a few other issues.

- Most MPs don't want to leave without a deal. Mr Johnson suspended parliament so they would not have time to vote to stop him. He said that the reason for this was nothing to do with Brexit and it was all perfectly normal, but most people don't believe him.

- A court in Scotland has found that it is illegal for the PM to try to suspend parliament in this way.

SleepyKat Wed 11-Sep-19 13:58:18

Just when you think things can’t get worse.

BBC seem to think BJ will have to recall Parliament either today or tomorrow! It’s all totally bonkers.

SleepyKat Wed 11-Sep-19 13:59:47

Downing Street just said no recall until after the Supreme Court have made a ruling.

SleepyKat Wed 11-Sep-19 14:01:55

Surely Boris has to go?

Bet the poor Queen is sick of it all. She’s trying to have a noice holiday in Balmoral, gets that twat Rees/mogg foisted on her...now it turns out she was lied to/misled. He’ll probably have to go back to tell her they’re game on again. She just wants to shoot some stags or something.

Farahilda Wed 11-Sep-19 14:14:46

It is unlikely on logistic grounds that they can recall for tomorrow.

Friday might be a possibility, sitting for one day before the House rises for conferences.

Then they will be off until either 9 or 14 October, depending on what the Supreme Court decides.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »