Talk

Advanced search

Settle a household related debate!

(39 Posts)
fivelittleducks1 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:12:23

I'm having a disagreement with my OH.
What's nicer, having the same carpet on stairs, landing and all bedrooms or the same on stairs and landing and different in bedrooms?
(going for vinyl in combined living/dining room!)

mathsquestions Wed 11-Sep-19 08:13:42

Different. No need for bedrooms to be the same.

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:16:11

Different. Nicer aesthetically but also you need a different wearing carpet on heavy use areas like the stairs, whereas bedrooms can be less hard wearing.

Soola Wed 11-Sep-19 08:17:28

Neither ! Carpets are hideous!

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:18:07

I like either.

We have the same tiles from the utility to the hallway & it makes the area look bigger imo.

Bluddyhateful Wed 11-Sep-19 08:18:21

The same! Unless you live in a mansion, it will just make your house look smaller to be all different

Teensruletheroost Wed 11-Sep-19 08:18:28

I quite like the same but it really doesn’t matter, I wouldn’t care if all different.

Ellabella989 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:18:57

Different

Disfordarkchocolate Wed 11-Sep-19 08:20:46

I like the same as we have a small house.

What sort of vinyl have you found that's nice enough for your living room, I like a washable floor.

Troels Wed 11-Sep-19 08:21:13

All the same, looks much nicer. No stupid metal bits in every doorway looks even better.

CrotchetyQuaver Wed 11-Sep-19 08:22:52

It's better appearance wise to have the same carpet throughout. Or the same shade throughout. Buy the most heavy duty you can for the stairs - we've always managed to wear out the stair carpet before anywhere else.

Gooseygoosey12345 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:27:03

I like it all matching but it's really a personal preference so no one is right or wrong

fivelittleducks1 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:33:21

@Disfordarkchocolate have a look on flooring superstore, they have lots of wood effect vinyl (its textured too so very realistic!). They have a few stores if you can get to one or you can order free samples.

MediocreOmens Wed 11-Sep-19 08:36:57

The same, it creates cohesion and flow and as others have said makes the house feel bigger. I find it a bit jarring to go from say a blue hall with blue carpet to a pink bedroom with grey carpet.

minipie Wed 11-Sep-19 08:42:18

Depends what kind of carpet you want and whether it’s suitable for both bedrooms and stairs. For example small loop pile would be ok for both and in that case I’d choose the same for both, it does make it look bigger and less choppy. However we can’t have loop (cats) so have twist for bedrooms, flatweave for stairs. Flatweave isn’t soft enough for bedrooms and twist IMO looks old fashioned on stairs so in our case better to have two types.

TheVoiceInTheShed Wed 11-Sep-19 08:42:47

The same - the rooms will flow and lots of different colours looks cheap and nasty

KnobJockey Wed 11-Sep-19 08:43:04

The same if possible as it makes a good flow, but if anything is different make it the stairs- go for something a bit jazzy!

BarbaraofSeville Wed 11-Sep-19 08:43:18

Does it really matter?

If you're carpetting the whole house because it needs it, I don't see a problem in getting it all done in the same neutral shade, and there can be savings, because they can use offcuts from the bedrooms and landing to do the stairs.

But if you're looking to replace still good condition carpet, just to make it all the same, then I wouldn't want to do that.

EmmaC78 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:43:44

The same.

LBOCS2 Wed 11-Sep-19 08:54:10

We've got the same throughout as I had decision fatigue and needed to get it done quickly. I accept that I'm going to need to get my stairs redone sooner than the bedrooms though.

sueelleker Wed 11-Sep-19 09:06:16

I go for different colours, to match the colour scheme in each room.

dudsville Wed 11-Sep-19 09:09:07

Same throughout. But! If you ever need to change just one section changes are the one you choose will be sold out.

PurplePuffinPicker Wed 11-Sep-19 09:12:01

I think it depends on your other style choices. If you have all neutral or similar colours in thr bedrooms and hallway you can get the same carpet throughout. But if you like different colour schemes in each bedroom, get different carpets.

Oakandlove Wed 11-Sep-19 09:14:04

Different, give each room it's own character.

mbosnz Wed 11-Sep-19 09:40:52

Same for me, particularly in smaller houses, otherwise it creates a very broken up effect, which is quite busy. And neutral colours.

But I'm the kind of person that finds taupe very soothing, lol.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »