Talk

Advanced search

Im being induced!

(10 Posts)
sc1993xx Wed 11-Sep-19 00:42:20

So this Sunday coming I am being induced at Liverpool women's hospital due to my baby having some complex heart conditions and he will be transferred over to Alder Hey for open heart surgery.

I have a few questions for anyone who has been induced there..

Could your partner stay? .. as we are not local to the area and I am very anxious about if he has to leave especially with the babies health and I don't really want to be on my own.

How was your experience?

Did you get a private room or was you on a bay ward to be induced?

AhNowTed Wed 11-Sep-19 00:54:37

Different part of the country so..

I was induced both times. About 0730 in the morning.

On a labour ward for hours. Nothing doing for a long time. Another couple there also.

Once the action proper started transferred to single labour room with midwife.

In both cases fine for partner to stay.

Prepare for a long wait. DP brought book and snacks.

Once baby born, transferred to maternity ward and DP went home.

skippy67 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:46:12

I was induced with dc2. Waters broken manually which started the contractions straight away. Baby was born exactly 2 hours later. DH stayed with me throughout. Transferred to maternity ward after the birth.

skippy67 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:47:20

Forgot to say, we were in a private room for the induction.

angel0071987 Wed 11-Sep-19 07:56:22

I was induced with my son at rosie in Cambridge (different hospital I know) and will be again on Friday. Induction was started off in induction suite (ward with 8 beds) and when dilated etc enough you were moved to the delivery unit. Partners were allowed to stay with you at all times and extra visitors only allowed during set hours 5-7 or something. There was only a chair for partners. Not even a reclining one just a "padded" one. So not the most comfortable for them but it's not about them is it!!!
Good luck.

NotQuiteUsual Wed 11-Sep-19 08:04:15

I haven't been to those hospitals but was induced last year. My cervix wasn't favourable, only half a cm and far back. So I started with a 24 hour pessary. This for me into labour in less than 12 hours.

The woman next to me was much more favourable, she was 2/3cm and her cervix was somewhat effaced. She had the gel, but it didn't do much, so they made the decision to move her to delivery to break her waters that evening(untill I stole her bed on labour ward)

With the pessary labour was so similar to spontaneous labour I didn't notice any difference whatsoever. Good luck this Sunday! I hope all goes well for you and your baby flowers

ShippingNews Wed 11-Sep-19 08:12:03

I was induced both times, they broke the waters and then I had an IV drip . Taken to the labour ward to have the waters broken - the 2nd time the waters just gushed out like a fire hose, and poured straight into the doctor's expensive leather loafers , whoops ! IV put in at the same time and I went back to my room for a while.

Labour pains started within minutes , very strong contractions from go to whoa. The pain was pretty fierce but I soldiered on with just gas and air to take the edge off. Pushed them out naturally after 4 hours total. Both were exactly the same !

ShippingNews Wed 11-Sep-19 08:13:30

Good luck to you and your baby on Sunday !

redthefraggle Wed 11-Sep-19 08:33:51

I was induced with DC1. By about 11pm it was clear nothing was going to happen overnight so I sent DH home to get some rest and he came back in the morning, although he could have stayed if he wanted to.

As you're not local to the area, do you have a hotel booked or is it a long travel time between the hospital and home and is this one of your concerns? Do you have a number for the maternity unit to ask what they usually do in these circumstances?

As an aside, although at a different hospital, I used to work quite closely with the paediatric cardiology team at Alder Hey and they are excellent.

Best of luck for you all on Sunday and enjoy your new baby!

sc1993xx Thu 12-Sep-19 00:16:53

Thank you all so much we live around 1 and half hours away.. the consultant said he could stay with but another nurse said the opposite so not sure what is what I haven't booked a hotel just incase but i sure will on Sunday if he can't stay x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »