Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a padded room or does any of my fellow mumsnettters still have teddies?

(98 Posts)
Noseynails Tue 10-Sep-19 17:30:22

Hi all,
I want some views on this.I have a menagerie of soft toys and I love them as I have chronic pain, anxiety and low moods and I like to cuddle up in bed with them and crochet when I am having a bad day with my aforementioned problems. My brother said it is ridiculous that I am an adult that still sleeps with teddies. What are your thoughts?

FoldenHoard Tue 10-Sep-19 17:31:56

That it's nothing to do with anyone else 🤷

If you like them, keep them.

toomuchfaster Tue 10-Sep-19 17:32:40

I sleep with a teddy every night, bought by DH, and have more on the shelf above my bed. Your DB is a knob and should mind his own business.

MrsJackRackham Tue 10-Sep-19 17:33:52

I've still got my toy rabbit from when I was a baby and a smaller, latecomer rabbit. Wee Rab goes with me when I work away.

Noseynails Tue 10-Sep-19 17:38:48

Thanks all x

AlwaysFuckingTired94 Tue 10-Sep-19 17:40:14

I still sleep with one that I've had since childhood every night

Bitchfeatures Tue 10-Sep-19 17:40:30

I sleep with a teddy, my OH hates it.
I have the same teddy from when I was about 2 or 3, slept with her my whole life, she's pretty thread bare now but holding up, my DD pinched her years ago sad and swapped it for one 'she didn't like anyway' I thought I could sleep without and that would be the end of me having a teddy (in my late 20s) but no, I couldn't, so I sleep with the one my DD gave me.
My OH takes the piss out of me all the time, forever tries to sneak from the bed and tells me I'm too old, but bugger him, it's my comfort so he can like it or lump it!

Bitchfeatures Tue 10-Sep-19 17:41:38

I'm so glad it's not just me that sleeps with a Teddy grin

6utter6ean Tue 10-Sep-19 17:42:54

Your life; your teddy. No one else's business!

My friend is at the top of her game work-wise, stalking the corridors of power and hobnobbing with the great and the good. She always sleeps with her childhood ted!

Dodie66 Tue 10-Sep-19 17:43:44

I collect teddies and have several in the bedroom. A friend of mine has a whole room dedicated to her bears and also has them round the house.
If you enjoy having them around you and they make you feel better ignore other people

DaisyDreaming Tue 10-Sep-19 17:44:25

I don’t but don’t let anyone make you feel bad about it! We should all do what makes us happy providing it’s not unhealthy to us or others. Crochet and teddies sound like great coping mechanisms

DoctorAllcome Tue 10-Sep-19 17:44:41

Oh, I have teddies but they are of the lingerie variety not soft toys.
Adults with soft toys on their beds always remind me of the Marilyn Manson music video “tainted love.”
m.youtube.com/watch?v=tGvtS3jDlRg

AdoraBell Tue 10-Sep-19 17:46:06

I have hand made teddies but they don’t live on the bed.

MrsMaiselsMuff Tue 10-Sep-19 17:46:40

Definitely not just you.

Brother might be a lot less judgy with more snuggles in his life!

Noseynails Tue 10-Sep-19 17:52:20

Thanks all... brother has a cheek since he got a teddy for his birthday a few days ago and loves it!

Prokupatuscrakedatus Tue 10-Sep-19 17:53:14

My teddy was given to me by my sister when I moved cities - she is 33 years old today (teddy i mean not sister.) She sits at my bed next to my head.
DH teddy is 55 years old and shares his office watching him work.
DSis teddy is going to be 50 next year and sits on her bed.

Noone is ever too old for a bear and it is nobodies business whether you've got one and where.

purpleme12 Tue 10-Sep-19 17:54:44

Well I sleep cuddling a soft toy

walkintheparc Tue 10-Sep-19 17:54:47

I find it very strange when I see adults who have stuffed animals/teddies at home near the bed. I've not had one since I was about 8!

reluctantbrit Tue 10-Sep-19 18:18:27

I do hav my two childhood ones but they live on a shelf. I ought myself one for my 40th birthday after it became clear that the one DH gave me was stolen permanently by DD.

I also have another one and ould happily extend the collection but feel a bit weird and DH definitely can’t understand it.

It seems DD inherited the addiction to stuffed toys, I am convinced that hers breed.

starfishmummy Tue 10-Sep-19 18:18:53

I have several but dont sleep with them!

TimeIhadaNameChange Tue 10-Sep-19 18:25:43

I have all of mine still, though most are in the loft. They will be coming down and having a wash, in the next few months, since I'm currently pregnant. Great excuse to be surrounded by them all again!

KnittingSister Tue 10-Sep-19 18:26:43

I have teddies grin

Aya611 Tue 10-Sep-19 19:09:16

I have teddies, one is as old as I am and I sleep with him every night grin

WanderingMind Tue 10-Sep-19 19:11:17

My teddy and DH’s teddy are snuggled up together on the chest of drawers. blush

Rocketmanager Tue 10-Sep-19 19:18:13

@MrsJackRackham I’ve got a toy rabbit but it’s not very cuddly.
Keep doing what your doing op, it sounds lovely

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »