Talk

Advanced search

Living room colour schemes

(18 Posts)
Justyou Tue 10-Sep-19 15:18:41

My living room used to be browns/beiges and brown material sofa, I loved it - it was always cosy.
We decorated 6 months ago as we had to get rid of the sofas because of our dogs. The new sofas are black leather (less stinky with dogs) and the walls are a light grey.
I thought I’d love it but I HATE it, it always looks cold and not cosy at all, I’ve tried throws & cushions (grey & pale pink) it looked a tiny bit better but I still hate it.
The grey looks a bit blue in certain light and it’s just not right.

I feel so bad as we only decorated recently but it’s just not ‘homely’ anymore and I can’t relax in it.
My Dh has agreed at last to help decorate again but I’ve no idea at all what colours will work with the black leather sofa.
Any ideas very gratefully received.

Atlasta Tue 10-Sep-19 15:27:13

We have black leather sofas, mid grey walls statement plum fireplace wall. Large good quality plum coloured rug on grey wash oak floor. Looks cosy and as winter comes I'll add soft grey throws and plum/grey fluffy cushions.

Justyou Tue 10-Sep-19 15:31:12

That sounds nice, I have wooden floors I think a pine colour & oak wooden furniture

StillSmallVoice Tue 10-Sep-19 15:35:49

A mushrooms pink would be nice with black, and warmer than grey

Justyou Tue 10-Sep-19 15:37:49

For the walls? I’ll look now at that thanks

QforCucumber Tue 10-Sep-19 15:38:51

We have Dulux Pebble Shore i the front room with Oak furniture and it works wonderfully for warmth

StillSmallVoice Tue 10-Sep-19 17:09:12

If you look on Houzz or Pinterest there are loads of ideas.

Justyou Tue 10-Sep-19 17:57:19

Thanks, I’m useless with Pinterest though but will try!

BelindasGleeTeam Tue 10-Sep-19 18:00:49

What about a warmer grey with some mustard accents?

Or a warm sage green?

funmummy48 Tue 10-Sep-19 18:14:36

Why not stick with your grey walls but go for some brighter, jewel coloured accessories, cushions & throws? There are lots out there online & in the shops at the moment.

Will0wtree Tue 10-Sep-19 18:30:23

Black goes well as an accent with autumn colours. So maybe oatmeal walls and a dark rusty/reddish colour on the wall behind the sofa. Then cushions/rug in creams, browns and olives and rust.... (I'm not up with trends though, so maybe that's very naff/unfashionable...I'd like it though smile )

Rainbowknickers Tue 10-Sep-19 20:07:41

We went with demon drift by dulux in silk
Love and adore it so won’t be redoing it for a while

MacavityTheDentistsCat Tue 10-Sep-19 20:13:37

Apricot. Like the colour in your cushion but with more pigment so that the colour is warmer and richer.

DisplayPurposesOnly Tue 10-Sep-19 20:20:17

I'd go with blush pink on the walls to warm up the room. Then accessorise with strong colours like fuschia, emerald, violet and teal.

Justyou Tue 10-Sep-19 22:15:47

Wow lots of ideas, thanks everyone

theunrivalledjoysofparenting Wed 11-Sep-19 09:01:44

Teal would work well. Which way does your living room face? Does it get the sun?

You could use a pale turqoise on three walls and a stronger teal on the fourth. Or orange!

Have a look at www.houzz.com/magazine/8-colors-to-use-with-black-stsetivw-vs~1427016

Oakandlove Wed 11-Sep-19 09:12:14

paint the room white, go for a statement wall in a rich bold colour, any colour you really like - deep red, pink, blue even a rich green and use accessories to carry the colour through the room - throws, cushions, vases in the colour with a second accent colour that suits. Grey is done to death, it's such a unimaginative choice.

Jayat42 Wed 11-Sep-19 09:29:26

The colour to easily accessorise currently with grey is mustard. In shops everywhere. Goes really well with grey. Try Dunhelm. Marks, even b and m have lovely throws etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »