Talk

Advanced search

How to treat horrendous blister (pic included)

(40 Posts)
oceandrive Sun 08-Sep-19 18:22:24

Sorry this is so gross.

Long hike yesterday and didn't stop to apply compeed until too late.

Need to run a marathon in a few weeks so really need advice on how to treat as quickly as possible!!

It's absolute agony to get wet and obviously I'm wearing flip flops but every plaster and dressing won't stick on!

bloodywhitecat Sun 08-Sep-19 18:25:47

Have you tried a Compeed plaster?

rabbitwoman Sun 08-Sep-19 18:26:16

Whoa!! Painful!! But can't you put compeed on it now?

oceandrive Sun 08-Sep-19 18:26:57

They don't make compeed big enough or not that I can find in the big Boots near me

Knittedfairies Sun 08-Sep-19 18:27:05

Ouch, ouch and more ouch. That looks really sore. Perhaps you could ask a pharmacist for advice?

dementedpixie Sun 08-Sep-19 18:27:38

Large hydrocolloid dressing as compeed is probably a bit small for that size of wound

PompeyBez Sun 08-Sep-19 18:28:26

Would liquid skin work? That looks incredibly painful!!

RoryGillmoresEvilTwin Sun 08-Sep-19 18:28:35

Salt water soaks.
It'll be absolutely agonising but it will help it heal quicker.

Imnotaslimjim Sun 08-Sep-19 18:29:02

Try these my DD burnt her arm a while ago, it blistered badly and looked similar to that afterwards. These were recommended and it was healed within a week.

FadedRed Sun 08-Sep-19 18:30:31

Difficult on a Sunday evening, but you need one of those larger Hydrocolloid dressing plasters. They will allow it to heal quickly and can stay on place for up to seven days between changes. There is usually an ‘open pharmacy rota’ at the weekend, so you might be able to get some this evening. If not then try some cling film overnight, and get some tomorrow.

oceandrive Sun 08-Sep-19 18:31:48

Ok I got some of those earlier, the box was massive but the plasters were not!! I will try to hunt some larger tomorrow.

Just had to get it wet and the shower and almost threw up with the pain blush

Oldraver Sun 08-Sep-19 19:11:21

If you've got blister plasters or the dressings put several on...you'll need to cut away the sticky edge one side on each plaster then layer over

NoodlesMcGee Sun 08-Sep-19 19:14:10

Could you cut a couple of Compeed plasters (trimming an edge off 2, say) so that the medicated part meets in the middle?

iMatter Sun 08-Sep-19 19:19:08

Oh my. That looks hideous.

I don't think any kind of compeed is going to sort that!

What shoes are you wearing this week? Can you wear shoes without a heel that will rub? Flip flops etc? Something that will allow that to dry out?

Been there done that - you have my every sympathy

Gramgram Sun 08-Sep-19 19:35:54

Ouch I feel your pain. I did similar to the ball of my foot last Sunday, after walking 13 miles. I used melolin dressings and micropore. I'm allergic to compeed and most plasters. You can layer up the melolin to make a pad
so you can walk. I also bathed my foot regularly in salt water and changed the dressing frequently.

Today I again walked 13 miles as the blister has healed but the skin appears quite delicate. I made a pad of 3 Mellon dressings on top of each other and secured each one. No blister or further damage occurred.

Good luck with your marathon.

Gramgram Sun 08-Sep-19 19:37:31

Melolin not mellon

oceandrive Wed 11-Sep-19 07:50:31

The actual blister part is healing but some of it is cracked and I'm worried it's infected. Would you go to doctors with this?

MrsMozartMkII Wed 11-Sep-19 07:57:43

I'd get that checked. GP or a walk-in centre.

iMatter Wed 11-Sep-19 20:20:44

Yikes! Yes - definitely get that seen.

Practice nurse/nurse practitioner tomorrow?

TokyoSushi Wed 11-Sep-19 20:25:41

Oh OP! That looks so sore, definitely get it seen flowers

madcatladyforever Wed 11-Sep-19 20:26:42

Get an iodine dressing and then a normal top dressing with a sticky border on top. Don't get it wet at all, let it dry out completely over the next week changing the dressing every few days. No pressure on it and it will heal quickly. Don't use hydrocolloid on that. I'm a podiatrist and do wound care everyday.

Chloemol Wed 11-Sep-19 20:39:38

Use sudacreme

Littlewhitedove Wed 11-Sep-19 23:23:34

Sudocrem

MrsPellegrinoPetrichor Wed 11-Sep-19 23:27:43

I would use a big lint free dressing,the sort they use for burns and secure it with micro pore tape but some of them have their own sticky. I second sudocrem for a couple of days initially.

MoreHairyThanScary Wed 11-Sep-19 23:53:16

Don't use sudocream it just sits on the surface of the skin ( and will stop any dressing adhering.)

From this perspective it doesn't look infected ..is it hot to the touch? If you want it dressed it may be worth booking an appointment with your practice nurse but you should be able to manage yourself. Salt water soaks may be useful but invading ( iodine) and a simple cosmopore or empire dressing should be adequate I agree with pp who said hydrocoloid not necessary.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »