Talk

Advanced search

I phoned the police

(42 Posts)
Chocolatethief Sun 25-Aug-19 04:54:47

When I was 12 I was sexually assaulted one night and tonight I phoned the police and reported it. They are going to contact me today hopefully to sort out a statement. I'm terrified about doing this and everything that comes after it. I'm scared they will press charges and scared they wont. What if it's happened to someone else and I didn't speak up quickly enough to stop it. It was 10 years ago, I cant believe I have done it. It was a sudden thing to do I didn't think about it I just did it. I'm so scared and kinda want to back out I dont want to go into details but I will have to.

Coffeeandchocolate9 Sun 25-Aug-19 04:56:40

Oh love. Handheld from me flowers

AmIThough Sun 25-Aug-19 05:05:21

You're so brave thanks

CucinaBreakfast Sun 25-Aug-19 05:07:14

You've done the right thing. You'll never regret it, only not doing it. Hope you have support around you

SingingLily Sun 25-Aug-19 05:07:50

And from me 💐.

It's a brave thing you've done - but it's the right one. You were only 12. Whoever it was, they need to be stopped.

Chin up.

barryfromclareisfit Sun 25-Aug-19 05:11:06

You are brave to report.
Anything your abuser did is their responsibility, not yours.
Do you have a counsellor? You might need to arrange to have someone to talk to.

RocketRacoonsFurryBalls Sun 25-Aug-19 05:11:28

You’re very brave.

Do you have any support?

Have you been to your GP to get counselling? I think this is important to help you through it.

Hugs.

TheMaddHugger Sun 25-Aug-19 05:25:16

((((((Soft Hugs)))))) 🌺🌼🌸

Nofunkingworriesmate Sun 25-Aug-19 05:29:59

Well done it’s never too late to protect other women and bring attackers to justice,
You are brave
You are not alone
You have gone the right thing
All the best for tomorrow let us know how it goes xxx

Nodnol Sun 25-Aug-19 05:40:19

You are amazing. And so brave.

Mummyoflittledragon Sun 25-Aug-19 05:45:32

It is never too late to report your abuse. You have been so brave. flowers

Shockers Sun 25-Aug-19 05:45:41

Ten years isn’t such a long time, and there’s a very good chance that this person could still be active. You have definitely done the right thing, both for yourself, and for potential future victims. I hope you get all the care and support you deserve. X

WelshMoth Sun 25-Aug-19 05:56:46

Another handhold OP.
Braveheart. Keep doing this.

PersonaNonGarter Sun 25-Aug-19 06:02:47

Well done. You are awesome. flowers

ColdAndSad Sun 25-Aug-19 06:03:58

Oh, well done, OP! You're so brave. Be proud of yourself.

Don't worry about what comes next. Take it all one day at a time. The police will take great care to make you feel supported and understood. I gave a video statement a few years ago, about the same sort of thing, and while it wasn't pleasant it was made much easier by the officers I spoke to, who were brilliantly kind and understanding.

Yes, you will have to go into details when you give your statement, but the police who you'll do this with will be very well trained and will help guide you. You'll be able to stop at any time, and take a break if you want. They'll be there to look after you. Their first priority will be ensuring you're safe. Try not to worry.

And stop worrying about whether you could have stopped any further assaults by speaking out sooner. You're not responsible for anything this horrible person did, to you or to anyone else. If they have assaulted anyone else, the blame for that lies completely on them.

Namaste6 Sun 25-Aug-19 06:06:28

You are doing the right thing OP.
You are not alone. We will all be there with you.
Sending you a big hug 💐

SimplySteveRedux Sun 25-Aug-19 07:13:21

* What if it's happened to someone else and I didn't speak up quickly enough to stop it*

It's something that you cannot think about, I've had the same thoughts over the years but the awesome crowd here helped me realise it's something I never had any control over. Look how many men who are sent down get out, then repeat the offence.

You do you, you're so very, very brave thanks

FattyPeddledFuriously999 Sun 25-Aug-19 08:13:34

flowers well done xx

blackleggingsandatshirt Sun 25-Aug-19 08:31:15

well done, stay strong and focussed, you are doing the right thing, hugs hun

Chocolatethief Sun 25-Aug-19 10:14:47

Thank you all I cant quite believe I've done it, think it will hit me when they ring. I try to think that I cant control his actions but if I have spoke out sooner or something

ColdAndSad Sun 25-Aug-19 11:35:43

Please stop worrying about what might have been. It's not going to help, and you are not to blame for anything he has done, before or since. Just focus on what a brilliant, brave and wonderful thing you've done by reporting him.

Rachelover40 Sun 25-Aug-19 12:50:53

Well done chocolatethief.
flowerswine

Stuckandsad Sun 25-Aug-19 12:55:11

You should be very proud of yourself, you deserve justice and you deserve to feel safe.

Yerbumsootthewindae Sun 25-Aug-19 13:06:21

You are amazing, well done. You are not responsible for the actions of someone else so please don't feel bad about not reporting before now. Look after yourself, you're very brave flowers

Hidingtonothing Sun 25-Aug-19 13:12:02

One thing I've learned through my own experience is that you can't carry the weight of 'what if I could stopped this happening to others', you need and deserve every bit of your own mental and emotional energy to get through the healing process. You cannot take responsibility for anything he did to anyone else, that weight belongs to him alone and you will hinder your own recovery and make the prosecution process harder on yourself if you let yourself feel responsible. I'm sorry if I sound stern but you have nothing to feel guilty for and I felt like you needed to hear that in no uncertain terms smile What you've done takes real bravery and you don't deserve to feel anything but proud about it flowers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »