Talk

Advanced search

Win £250 off your family's self-catering escape

(88 Posts)
HannahGMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 15-Aug-19 15:13:39

Afternoon everyone,

Cottages.com are a firm favourite on Mumsnet thanks to their huge selection of holiday rentals whatever your needs and budget.

Plus, there's also a 7% discount just for Mumsnetters - just head to our exclusive landing page to book.

This summer, they're giving one lucky Mumsnetter the chance to win a £250 voucher to put toward their own holiday rental.

To be in with a chance of winning, simply take a look at the cottages.com website, then post on this thread which property you would like to stay in and why. Whether you like the idea of an 11-person villa with a private pool in the Côte-d’Azur or would love the chance to stay in an actual converted rail carriage (we know grin), just let us know for your chance to win.

Winners will be picked at random on 29 August 2019, good luck!

Open to UK residents only. Bookings and holidays must be taken by 31st December 2020. Prize applies to new bookings only and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.

Mumsnet carries some affiliate marketing links, so if you buy something through our posts, we may get a small share of the sale (more details here).

DinosApple Thu 15-Aug-19 15:39:26

Brook Cottage (ref DDDK) in Dorset is where I'd love to stay. Out of the thick of it, beautiful house, and a stroll to Lyme Regis and the sea. The property looks really welcoming, with enough en suites to keep everyone happy! The gardens look beautiful, and there's footbridge - the DC would love that.
It looks like a great house to relax in.

DrCoconut Thu 15-Aug-19 16:39:01

29357. Tetheran cottage in Yorkshire.

DrCoconut Thu 15-Aug-19 16:39:44

Hit post too soon. The location is stunning for a break away from it all.

SeekingShade Thu 15-Aug-19 16:47:34

www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/methrose-bcmethr?adult=2&child=2&infant=1&nights=7&range=3 lovely view

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Thu 15-Aug-19 16:53:26

[https://www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/allt-beag-uk5617?adult=2&child=1&nights=3&range=3&start=13-9-2019 Allt Beag Aviemore]]

That's a dream home right there!

Rodent01 Thu 15-Aug-19 18:13:29

La Belle Vue, Corsica. Was browsing these from my chair in the chemo ward (does a sob story help?!!) imagining taking my husband and 2 kids on a magical trip to Corsica! It’s a far cry from reality, but one can dream!

Doobadee Thu 15-Aug-19 18:18:39

It would have to be this coastguard's cottage in my favourite part of Cornwall: www.chooseacottage.co.uk/cwa/the-old-coastguards-cottage-ukc3765

Toombumber Fri 16-Aug-19 10:03:57

I'd like to go to The Stable nr Weston Super mare because my parents live in Somerset and it's also near the beach, which is a prerequisite for family holidays. Thank you

purpleclaire Fri 16-Aug-19 10:47:28

I would love to stay at Harbour Lodge in Sandbanks. I just love Dorset and this would be a real taste of the high life to stay here, with its luxury accommodation, hot tub, amazing views and location. Well, I can dream...

Muir23 Fri 16-Aug-19 11:56:38

West End Cottage (C3307) is just beautiful. I have wonderful memories of childhood holidays in Yorkshire and would love to show it to my kids! A lovely mix of countryside but near lots of things to do!

fei0131 Fri 16-Aug-19 12:09:53

Wadadli Lodge in Devon looks amazing. I love the Scandinavian style of the property plus it has an outdoor heated pool! It would be a dream to stay there with the whole family.

LochJessMonster Fri 16-Aug-19 12:12:36

www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/hollywall-croft-hh82?adult=2&pets=1&nights=7&range=3

looks beautiful and I can take my dog!

Vole3 Fri 16-Aug-19 12:17:47

I would book Kestrel Cottage, Horning UK10797 for a weekend break watching the life on the river go by

lisbet679 Fri 16-Aug-19 12:22:53

Home Cottage
Barbrook, near Lynton, Devon

Looks fab

FinnBalorsAbs Fri 16-Aug-19 14:05:57

Kid friendly cottage in Derbyshire with play area and pool

One of my favourite parts of the country - went there on honeymoon, haven't got round to taking the DC yet!

PooWillyBumBum Fri 16-Aug-19 15:16:41

This gorgeous cottage in Inistoige, Kilkenny Ref W31626

The last time I was in this beautiful village was about a year ago - we took my grandmother for tea at the cafe whilst my in laws went bird watching. Unfortunately Nanny passed away in November so we've no longer got unlimited access to accommodation in beautiful Kilkenny where my grandfather's family has lived for many hundreds of years. I think the city and surrounding countryside is magical and visiting just makes my heart sing.

This sweet little cottage will be just big enough for our family of four, the perfect location for leisurely family strolls and close enough to drive into Kilkenny City for the amazing food and night time craic.

runflorestrun Fri 16-Aug-19 15:24:55

Carn Towan cottages Bishops Rock in Cornwall would be an absolute dream come true. What a gorgeous location, it'd make a perfect family getaway from the daily grind, especially for little ones xx

Louise2019 Fri 16-Aug-19 16:42:42

Blagdon View Farm House - We have a few “milestone” birthdays in the family next year and the property is in an excellent location for all family to travel to, has enough space to accommodate everyone and has a pool!

Celaeno Fri 16-Aug-19 18:02:49

I would love to stay at Carol’s cottage near Southwold. It’s a sweet little place and looks perfect for a getaway. I haven’t been to Suffolk since I was a child, so the area holds many happy memories for me and it would be perfect to introduce my husband to the area.

embo1 Fri 16-Aug-19 20:11:08

The Cottage at Northside Farm Retreat

I'd go with my other half for my birthday! We've not had a night away by ourselves for over 10 years! It's close enough to my sister that we could drop the kids off with her and her new husband before visiting them for Christmas! The swimming pool, sauna and views look fab!

EveryDayIsLikeMonday Fri 16-Aug-19 20:25:20

Tythe Barn in Derbyshire for a friends' short break. Pub within walking distance, great walks in the Peak District and plenty to do in the local area.
The barn has good sized bedrooms, a great kitchen/dining area to social in and a comfy lounge with a log burner. Perfect!

zigzagbetty Fri 16-Aug-19 23:33:44

Park Farm Cottage
Flixton, near Filey, Yorkshire
Property Reference: UK2342
Would love to stay in this beautiful cottage in the best of both worlds, Yorkshire countryside and coast 😍

NeverTwerkNaked Sat 17-Aug-19 11:42:24

I love the look of this place, in my favourite part of Devon www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/silver-street-uk11437?adult=2&child=4&nights=7&range=3

Ledehe Sat 17-Aug-19 11:52:27

Tigh An Iasgair near Applecross in the Highlands. A bit of Scotland I've never explored, an exceptionally beauty house

StickChildNumberTwo Sat 17-Aug-19 17:09:07

www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/the-knock-uws - gorgeous looking house in the middle of nowhere would be blissful

Cismyfatarse Sat 17-Aug-19 17:12:47

https://www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/kinlochmoidart-house-seq?adult=2&nights=7&range=3

This would be amazing for a group. We used to live near here and held my son's christening in the dining room. Going back with him (nearly 20 now) plus his sister and others would be amazing.

InvernessAdventure Sat 17-Aug-19 18:36:29

I'd go to Heir Island, off the coast of County Cork, to discover my roots.

TwoPencePenny Sat 17-Aug-19 18:44:41

www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/bembridge-manor-m533166?adult=2&child=2&nights=7&range=3&start=26-5-2020

It would be like walking into a fairytale!

Kannet Sat 17-Aug-19 18:53:03

La belle Vue Corsica. Love Corsica it's a beautiful country

Didiusfalco Sat 17-Aug-19 19:00:10

This one:

www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/bank-end-w8486?adult=2&child=2&nights=7&range=3

Bank end near Ullswater in Cumbria. I love the Lake District, and this would be perfect for my family. I would visit the Lakes every year if I could afford it.

Lotts123 Sat 17-Aug-19 19:04:06

The Lodge @ Thornmill (BCLTHORN) perfect for a family getaway for an upcoming special Birthday and ideal for a visit to Monkeyworld!

Buffyj Sat 17-Aug-19 19:11:03

Roselea ref (UK5038)
Skye is so beautiful and nourishing for the soul while this cottage would allow me to relax while my young, and not so young, boys have plenty to distract them.

starlingsintheslipstream Sat 17-Aug-19 19:21:21

I'm a great fan of cottages.com and have used the 7% discount on several occasions. We have an annual multi-generational family holiday and like to self cater so I'd pick this property in Hay on Wye

https://www.cottages.com/cottages/hay-on-the-farm-complex-m490915

There's plenty of room for us all to not feel under each other's feet and a games room for the kids.

Theimpossiblegirl Sat 17-Aug-19 19:50:37

Maison Moriani-Plage (FKO131)

This beautiful villa in Corsica is perfect for our next holiday. Just 300m from a beach, bars and restaurants, own pool and room for all the family.

MarkRonsonsMother Sat 17-Aug-19 20:13:38

It would be the Una Argentum 71 in St Ives, Cornwall.

Property Reference: BCUNA71

Parking, Dishwasher, Pool & Restraunt.

Sounds wonderful for DD & I grin

kng166 Sun 18-Aug-19 08:36:09

I’d love to stay at Orford Mill at Great Torrington in Devon. My children would love the swimming pool and playground

saladfingers Sun 18-Aug-19 09:47:27

We would love to stay here - Ashcombe - Freedom (HHX)
Ashcombe, near Teignmouth, Devon for a weekend so that we could visit my daughter at Plymouth University.

jollygoose Sun 18-Aug-19 11:19:40

Villa Santolina, Montaurous, it looks the perfect place to relax and explore the beautiful scenery and small dotted villages. A swimming pool to cool off in at the end of perfect day what more could anyone want?

Ibizama Sun 18-Aug-19 13:45:49

Silver Street in Bideford, Devon UK 11437 looks lovely for a holiday

LeatherBottle Sun 18-Aug-19 13:52:30

www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/carnethic-penthouse-tah?adult=2&nights=7&range=3 gorgeous location and just look at that pool!

HomeEdRocks18 Sun 18-Aug-19 18:21:38

Thatch Cottage in Rosudgeon near Marazion. I love that part of Cornwall and have only been on day trips there. I'd love to take my family and dog there to relax

Countrygirl38 Sun 18-Aug-19 19:01:19

I would love to go to Seascape Ref OX3 near Aberystwyth. We love Aberystwyth so much. There is a sea view from the property and the photos look lovely. It is also near Borth where we love to swim and walk in the beach. This would be a peaceful, relaxing place to stay whilst still being near Aber and beaches. Aber has such a great vibe and our favourite care in the UK is there - The Tree House

pacinofan Sun 18-Aug-19 20:59:36

The Coach House, Keswick (UKC3787). Fabulous accomodation in my favourite part of the world that I could enjoy with all my family, plus my adorable dog!

NeverNude11 Sun 18-Aug-19 21:23:19

Benedictine's retreat. The house and grounds look gorgeous, I love that there's a heated swimming pool on site, and they provide a travel cot!

magentastardust Sun 18-Aug-19 23:34:17

ooh I love The Quaich in Perthshire (SYYT) , what a fantastic view , would be very relaxing looking over the water with a book and a glass of wine in hand!

jamesharris1912 Tue 20-Aug-19 11:09:07

Little Content Farm Cottage because it has a swimming pool and I would love to visit this part of Cornwall, especially Kynance Cove.

HowDoYouPronounceJohn Tue 20-Aug-19 20:48:59

I'm looking to take a trip to Harrogate, so Thistle Hill Farm Cottages, as its the only one that came up for the dates I chose that had 2 bedrooms and was pet-free. Although ideally would prefer to see more photos of a place beforehand, including the bedroom I'd be sleeping in, location etc.

Gingerkittykat Tue 20-Aug-19 20:59:37

Mountain bear lodge near Aviemore (UKC3144)

It's stunning, 6 bedrooms so I can take my extended family, it's beside the Cairngorms with loads of wildlife and it has a hot tub and sauna to relax in at night.

mrsglowglow Tue 20-Aug-19 21:19:35

Jacob’s Rest (UKC3703) in Cromer Norfolk.

Great location and stunning accommodation.

I love Norfolk and there are so many beautiful rentals to choose from.

AlwaysColdHands Tue 20-Aug-19 21:30:38

The Old Vicarage, Lelant (UK10482)
Fantastic spaces for holidaying with group of friends (would live in fear of children’s handprints on all that pale decor though 😱

DandelionDahlia Wed 21-Aug-19 21:03:09

I would stay in the Little Coach House M533648 because it's near Oxford and has its own croquet lawn

Ashhead24 Sat 24-Aug-19 09:19:44

Loads of amazing places, particularly liked the look of:
The Tallet Barn (UKC3176)
Marhamchurch, near Bude, Cornwall

JayDot500 Sat 24-Aug-19 10:33:20

La Maison en Pierre
Property Reference: FVA040

I'd love to stay here because I'm giving birth (unplanned) over Christmas so can't go ahead with family plans to stay in a French villa during that same period.

Cliffdonville Sat 24-Aug-19 19:56:30

Property Reference: UKC3330
Garth House - looks amazing and in a great location

Gillian1980 Sat 24-Aug-19 22:59:19

I’d go for the Dutch Barn near Bakewell.

It’s halfway between us and our best friends (we live at opposite ends of the country) so we could meet in the middle and enjoy a break together - the kids would love it.

OpportunityKnocks Sun 25-Aug-19 07:56:15

Uk5052 - lock shore cottage

We would love to stay here because the views and how peaceful it is. I haven't been to Scotland nearly enough

bluebeck Sun 25-Aug-19 13:55:58

Tourenne
St. Germain-de-la-Rivière, Aquitaine

Perfect for a birthday celebration for me and my family. Easily accessible via Bordeaux airport and we can hit the vineyards!!

wolfmom Sun 25-Aug-19 15:44:48

Trevose in Charlestown Cornwall. Heading down there next year for the first time and the cottage would be perfect for us, cosy, great views and close to our friends

Zorgothslugofdoom Sun 25-Aug-19 16:51:33

Iola Cottage (28052) in Llandudno. Views look amazing!

MarthaDunstable Sun 25-Aug-19 17:02:45

I use cottages.com quite a lot and fancy fossil hunting in Dorset for next year. Since we’re playing fantasy holidays then I’ll go for this sweet little thatched cottage.
www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/utopia-m538037?adult=2&child=2&nights=7&range=3&start=13-6-2020&bedrooms=3

Tonkatol Tue 27-Aug-19 20:18:01

I would love to stay at Dart Corner, in Bovey Tracey, Devon. Property Reference: UKC2070 . Have spent many happy years visiting Dartmoor. I am now disabled so this single storey let is perfect for my family and I. We have one dog and are getting a puppy later this year and so I would love to spend a week revisiting Dartmoor and the family can take the dogs for lovely long walks and I can meet them for cream teas!

Fbnick Tue 27-Aug-19 20:24:35

A secluded cottage / bungalow overlooking the sea with a path down to the beach.
I love waking to a sea view and lungs full of sea air. I'm not picky about the location as long as it's quiet. I'm disabled so I need disabled access showering if possible please. ( Sorry) x

JaneGarveykeepsmesane Tue 27-Aug-19 21:25:12

Halcyon Apartment, Port Isaac. I spent many happy childhood holidays and part of my honeymoon in Port Isaac and have a yearning to introduce my own kids to its charms.

Guni Tue 27-Aug-19 21:52:10

This place seems to be perfect for us and never been to Cornwall. Would love to win!

RosamundButterfly Tue 27-Aug-19 21:52:17

PGGS the Cart Lodge near Battle, Sussex, please. Love those country style bedrooms and the view from the living room! That would be perfect for us. Have bookmarked for the next time I'm booking a UK break!

Haffdonga Tue 27-Aug-19 22:13:49

Windermere Lake Boathouses - Spout Crag Boathouse, Cumbria please

Amazing location and views.

buckley1983 Tue 27-Aug-19 23:10:43

Well I've just spent a happy 40 minutes scrolling through rental properties in The Cotswolds!! Finally decided on this one..

Stable Cottage - Avon Farm Estates, Saltford, Nr. Bath - UKC3432

WOW!! Beautiful exterior & interior - perfect!

mazgoli Wed 28-Aug-19 10:42:26

I'd like to stay at Tan y Bryn Cottage, Rhyd-y-Foel, Conwy. It looks beautiful, peaceful and has great views. I'm in need of some TLC right now and I'd take some close friends with me to talk until the wee small hours, relax and restructure my life.

GhostsToMonsoon Wed 28-Aug-19 11:14:44

I love cottage holidays. I'd stay in any of the dog-friendly ones with wifi (or leave our dog and go abroad). I like this one: Little Polgrain Barn near Caerhays, as it's in an area of Cornwall I haven't been to before and Caerhays is in one of the later Poldark books.

KarmaStar Wed 28-Aug-19 14:35:33

Lyndhurst Cottage property reference:UK2524.
Because it is a beautiful old property and stunning views surround it.
Clean and comfortably furnished and practical to keep clean with our two dogs.
The cottage is like a dream come true!if I owned it I wouldn't be able to let it out I'd have to live there.
Absolutely love yorkshire,my husband proposed to me there and we had our honeymoon in a cottage with the dogs.
I keep looking at the photo's now and will be showing them to my family later to see if we can go anyway next year....it really is a dream cottage,somewhere to have a good breakfast then set off walking the dogs and exploring them to eagerly return to at the end of the day.

NotQuiteUsual Wed 28-Aug-19 17:01:53

This is the one for me...and everyone else in my gang.

Bagdamagus Wed 28-Aug-19 20:13:37

Lane End - Lane End Linney (UK10656)
Putford, near Bideford, Devon.

Looks a bit different and perfect for a relaxing break.

Littlebluebird123 Wed 28-Aug-19 23:39:42

CAAU
Cherry Ridge
Great Bircham, Norfolk

Plenty of room for the family and a private swimming pool. What more could you want?

MadameJosephine Wed 28-Aug-19 23:53:32

The Windmill, Anglesey. DD would be delighted, she loves windmills

Noneyerbuisness11234 Thu 29-Aug-19 00:04:21

Ballyhass Lakes (W31382) Cecilstown, near Mallow, County Cork

My baby is now 4 months and would love to get away for quite break with my dp and baby.

boptanana Thu 29-Aug-19 00:07:15

www.chooseacottage.co.uk/mum/silver-street-uk11437?adult=2&child=2&pets=1&nights=7&range=3

Love the area and looks a lovely accommodation

GymSloth Thu 29-Aug-19 05:30:00

Bowlees holiday cottage in county Durham looks lovely. Swimming pool, private hot tub and log burner plus, Durham is such a beautiful part of the world.

MerryTwinkletoes Thu 29-Aug-19 06:00:40

Ooh I'd go for W43990 the houseboat, as I've been wanting to go to the isle of wight for a while and this looks like a lovely place to stay!

WanderingAimlessly Thu 29-Aug-19 06:13:34

Oakland West -Windermere Lake District. We can all fit in as a big family group. Would be perfect for my mums 80th birthday celebration next year!

jackstini Thu 29-Aug-19 07:46:57

www.cottages.com/cottages/seaside-villa-bcseavil

This one for the views and facilities - enough space for the extended family, kids would love the pool and the huge dining living space is perfect
Plus it has its own bar! 😉

Ski4130 Thu 29-Aug-19 09:50:37

www.cottages.com/cottages/little-lanherne-farm-tp9?adult=5&child=8&pets=1

I'd love to take our Mum away with all her grandchildren and children, she's had a tough year and this would be a great way to show her how much we love her and appreciate her.

megjswg Thu 29-Aug-19 10:39:18

Shearwater Lake House on the Cotswold Lakes would be an ideal break for my family as well as my sister's and our parents - we love being together - even though we all live within 2 miles of each other and work together!!

elrider Thu 29-Aug-19 12:51:55

Apartment Paradise in Sardinia! I've never been to Italy and really fancy Sardinia. This apartment would be great for us and our toddler - simple (i.e. not full of breakables - a bonus with a 2 year old!) with access to a pool and separate bedrooms. Perfect!

HannahGMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Aug-19 16:45:30

Afternoon all,

Thanks very much for taking the time to enter, and a massive congratulations to our lucky winner @mazgoli, who will receive a £250 voucher to put toward their cottages.com holiday grin

We'll message the winner separately tomorrow to sort out getting their prize to them.

If you didn't win this time, remember you can still get 7% off your holiday rental - just head to our exclusive landing page to book.

Stargirl84 Thu 29-Aug-19 16:57:00

The Barn House at Freshwater, Isle of Wight looks beautiful. We love Freshwater and the barn looks like it’s in a great location for visiting Freshwater and relaxing.

SuzCG Tue 03-Sep-19 11:58:59

Tower House in Ambleside, Lake District - my 13 year old really wants to go and do some walking and explore the Lakes, an area we've only touched on before. This place looks lovelY!

Annamaria0 Sun 22-Sep-19 20:25:48

La Belle Vue in Corsica, a friend visited Corsica recently and raved about it, so I’d love to go there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »