Talk

Advanced search

Do you have to undress when you have an ecg?

(36 Posts)
Tarchie Wed 14-Aug-19 16:01:44

I’ve got to have an ecg at the doctors but was wondering if I can keep my clothes on?

Layoverlife Wed 14-Aug-19 16:06:01

You definitely keep you're clothes on! I've NEVER asked anyone to undress when I've done one, I'd be questioning it if I was told to undress... smile

notsurewhattothink123 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:06:32

Usually just top half and they tend to give a sheet of paper to cover with .

GinaCarbonara Wed 14-Aug-19 16:07:22

Top half yes. If you wear a vest you can keep that on and roll it halfway down your stomach, but your breasts will need to be bare

Fatted Wed 14-Aug-19 16:08:16

Nope. Had a few and never had to get naked!!

They put the stickers on your legs below the knee, your arms and chest. I've always been fine with jeans that can be pulled up and a t-shirt on.

Tarchie Wed 14-Aug-19 16:09:01

Thanks. The practice nurse is a friend of the family and I know I’ll feel awkward if I have to undress. My dm had one a while ago and she definitely had to which didn’t bother her. But I know I’ll be embarrassed.

Tarchie Wed 14-Aug-19 16:09:56

Sorry, I should add that I’m only referring to the top half and not the whole caboodle!!

taybert Wed 14-Aug-19 16:11:18

I’m surprised that the positioning of stickers and leads in these locations could be achieved without the removal of some clothing.
images.app.goo.gl/EjJ1niUkMvh5RWdk7

Layoverlife Wed 14-Aug-19 16:11:21

Ps: you don't have to take you're top half off either Op, it can all be done without taking anything off, I simply ask if I can put my hands under their top and stick the ecg dots on whilst nothing is removed it can all be done whilst everything is covered

taybert Wed 14-Aug-19 16:12:24

Or at least the exposure of the chest, even if the clothing isn’t actually removed.

EskewedBeef Wed 14-Aug-19 16:14:58

Loose fitting clothes will help if you don't want to undress, and a top with buttons you can undo instead of removing. I've had loads, and sometimes it is easier to whip your clothes off (not underwear) than have them try to fiddle the pads into position, but you can avoid it by dressing sensibly.

JellyfishAndShells Wed 14-Aug-19 16:15:46

I’ve had quite a few ecgs in hospital and GP surgeries and always had to remove my underwired bras. The HCPs who have applied them have always been very quick and respectful and covered up again very quickly and suggested I remove the pads after myself ( got home a couple of times to discover a forgotten one ! )

Teddybear45 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:17:13

Your breasts may need to be bare for the probes. It just depends on their size and position. Mine didn’t but my chest is broader than my breasts.

Greyhound22 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:24:36

I've had a few lately and it depends - generally they ask you to take your top off but you can leave your bra. I've had two where I had to totally strip at the top.

Bluebelltulip Wed 14-Aug-19 16:26:05

What I've been asked to remove gas depended on the person doing it and what I was wearing. A loose top can be shuffled to get all the pads in the right places, some people have been happy for me to keep a non wired bra on and others have still wanted me to remove it.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Wed 14-Aug-19 16:26:26

I've had millions both ways and it is quicker if you undress, but totally possible if you don't.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Wed 14-Aug-19 16:26:53

bluebell removing gas sounds embarrassing...

WWlOOlWW Wed 14-Aug-19 16:27:14

Had one done at hospital last week. Just had to lift my top up (bra on) for a minute or two while they attached the stickers.

Bluebelltulip Wed 14-Aug-19 16:28:04

Oops was supposed to be has not gas.

OddestSock Wed 14-Aug-19 16:29:09

I had a few last week. The first time the paramedics just got me to remove my top but keep my bra off. In hospital both times, I had to remove my top and bra.

bbcessex Wed 14-Aug-19 16:30:13

My DD has regular ECGa and has always been asked to remove top but not bra... don't have to take off trousers or jeans but did obv have to take off tights for the first one when we didn't know the drill...

Sometimes the pad needs to go under the bra so make sure you wear a looser one...

HugsAreMyDrugs Wed 14-Aug-19 16:30:16

Only had one and had to remove top but I kept my bra on.

TroysMammy Wed 14-Aug-19 16:31:09

The Nurse in work needed a guinea pig to test out the ECG machine. I had to take my top clothes and bra off, considering not even my sister has seen my boobs, she was professional and gave me a sheet to cover myself. After all that and trussed up like a death row prisoner she announced the machine was indeed broken and had to go off for repair.

PanamaPattie Wed 14-Aug-19 16:35:51

Just refuse to remove your clothes if it makes you uncomfortable. Your consent is needed. The nurse will have to use a work around for the ecg. Your dignity is important.

whattodowith Wed 14-Aug-19 16:40:43

I’ve always had to remove my top half.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »