Talk

Advanced search

Eagle flying round with a trap on it's legs

(34 Posts)
Subculture Wed 14-Aug-19 09:37:05

I've just seen this on twitter, disgusting what the shooters do. Please sign the peition petition.parliament.uk/petitions/266770

twitter.com/ChrisGPackham/status/1161334050650505216?fbclid=IwAR3R_xUvqt-XZ2bn5o_TmHnu5qNO50KdbR-81i0poWajsA1BpFrjueIj3og

Bezalelle Wed 14-Aug-19 10:51:14

Oh god that's awful. I'll sign.

saintava Wed 14-Aug-19 11:00:39

Signed

Cherrysoup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:02:03

The Twitter feed says the eagle is carrying whatever was caught in the trap. Given Packham’s recent efforts resulting in landowners being unable to shoot pigeons who overrun/destroy their crops without applying for a special licence, I’m reluctant to sign anything with his name on.

It’s unfortunately true that regardless of how many signatures are submitted, the government is very unlikely to change how grouse shooting is carried out.

FurnitureAndBackgammon Wed 14-Aug-19 11:12:29

It's absolutely disgusting and I have signed. That poor bird ☹️

Subculture Wed 14-Aug-19 12:01:22

Some on twitter are saying the eagle is carrying the animal caught and the trap with it.

I don't believe that and if the trap had been legally set, the eagle wouldn't have been able to get to it or whatever it held. This is a wild bird that has intentionally been trapped.

With regards to the shooting, Wild Justice, of which Chris Packham is a part, simplay asked whether the Licenses issued by Natural England were legal. Lawyers acting for NE found they weren't so the licenses were withdrawn.

Bezalelle Wed 14-Aug-19 12:32:19

Even if it is carrying a trap with a bird in it, that's a bird that's still been trapped!

PickwickThePlockingDodo Wed 14-Aug-19 13:06:43

It's not carrying an animal caught in a trap, have you seen how big a golden eagle's claws are? No it's the poor bird's feet caught in that, probably illegal trap and it will die a slow and agonising death.

Please sign mumsnetters 🙏🏻

LoseLooseLucy Wed 14-Aug-19 13:15:21

Signed.

bodgeitandscarper Wed 14-Aug-19 13:21:33

Agree that there isn't a other animal in the trap, disgusting. Signed and shared.

Tootyfilou Wed 14-Aug-19 13:23:55

Done

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 14-Aug-19 13:26:32

landowners being unable to shoot pigeons who overrun/destroy their crops without applying for a special licence

Not being able to shoot whatever you want, whenever you want. The horror hmm

Subculture Wed 14-Aug-19 15:08:00

Thanks all!

TheInebriati Wed 14-Aug-19 16:18:16

If you don't understand the damage pigeons do to crops, you might think farmers shoot them for fun. But they really don't.

There used to be so many perched on the phone lines at harvest, the lines would break and we'd be without a phone for several weeks every year. When your nearest neighbour is a mile away and you are out of contact from the local CB network, thats a problem.

Subculture Wed 14-Aug-19 16:41:21

This eagle being trapped has nothing to do with pigeons. If you are referring to the issue over general license earlier this year, as I wrote above, Natural England were asked if the general license was legal and they found it wasn't and hasn't been for years. So Natural England pulled the general license until it could be amended, cue farmers and shooters complaining that they can't do something illegal.

FurnitureAndBackgammon Wed 14-Aug-19 18:28:21

If you don't understand the damage pigeons do to crops, you might think farmers shoot them for fun. But they really don't

No of course not 🙄
Human beings have fucked up the natural environment. Nature doesn't need us to shoot the poor pigeons, there should be plenty of birds of prey, foxes, even wolves to control them.

Anyway as Subculture says that is irrelevant to this thread.

Please sign the petition people

PickwickThePlockingDodo Wed 14-Aug-19 21:22:36

Bumping

Marigold101 Wed 14-Aug-19 21:28:07

Signed

Fibbsdottir Wed 14-Aug-19 21:31:11

Foxes don't keep the pigeon population down. Humans shooting and eating them did that.

But this is not related to the eagle, i agree.

TheOnlySnot Wed 14-Aug-19 21:49:20

I have signed.

Frith2013 Wed 14-Aug-19 22:39:22

I’m not signing because the use of a fen trap is perfectly legal.

On our farm, we accidentally caught a tawny owl. It wasn’t able to fly away so it went for treatment at an owl rehoming centre.

Fibbsdottir Wed 14-Aug-19 22:41:39

I’m not signing because the use of a fen trap is perfectly legal

Yes me neither

FurnitureAndBackgammon Wed 14-Aug-19 22:43:24

On our farm, we accidentally caught a tawny owl. It wasn’t able to fly away so it went for treatment at an owl rehoming centre.

Oh that's ok then, ffs 🤬

Fibbsdottir Wed 14-Aug-19 22:46:08

People in cars accidentally kill thousands of wild animals every year. Hopefully the people who sign this petition will also stop driving.

FurnitureAndBackgammon Wed 14-Aug-19 22:57:38

Yeah because that's exactly the same thing 🙄

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »