Talk

Advanced search

2020 holiday and Brexit risk

(8 Posts)
littlecupcake Wed 14-Aug-19 13:01:03

Thank you Chomalungma, I'll investigate!

chomalungma Wed 14-Aug-19 11:30:46

I use WeSwap.

You get good rates - as it's a slightly different way of getting the money. The charges are slightly different as well.

littlecupcake Wed 14-Aug-19 11:25:23

I didn't realise holiday companies could put their prices up, so that could mean the difference between a package and a DIY holiday is even greater.

A prepaid card is a super idea, I will look into that - are there any that you recommend or ones to avoid?

Booking now because I found a great holiday in January for this summer, didn't book it because we didn't know what would happen with Brexit and the same holiday (even the same flights) went up from £1800 to more than £4k 😳 I don't want to risk the same thing happening again!

thatmustbenigelwiththebrie Wed 14-Aug-19 10:49:12

Why are you booking for next summer now? Just wait nearer the time and book when things are a bit more certain,

chomalungma Wed 14-Aug-19 09:29:12

Can you use a pre-paid travel card to buy Euros at today's rate?

Then you can either pay now or hold onto them and sell them back to pounds if the pound crashes?

RottnestFerry Wed 14-Aug-19 09:26:56

With that margin, I'd book direct.

Christabelpankhurst Wed 14-Aug-19 08:45:04

Most travel agencies have a clause that allows them to charge up to 8% extra in case of currency fluctuations or fuel surcharges so if you book you can be asked to pay more.

littlecupcake Wed 14-Aug-19 08:42:21

I've found a lovely hotel and flights for our summer holiday next year and, having missed the opportunity to go abroad this year, I'd really like to book for next summer.

I can get flights and accommodation through On The Beach, or I can book identical flights and hotel separately myself for about £100 less (but if I go direct through the hotel, I get a better room).

I'm not sure what to do though... the hotel is only asking for a deposit and for the balance to be paid on arrival. Sounds great, but if the strength of the pound falls against the Euro we could end up paying an awful lot more than we have budgeted for. The hotel would be happy to accept full payment when I book, I have emailed to ask.

What will happen if I book a package and the strength of the pound falls? Is the price I see today the price I will pay when it comes to the final installment? I'm really not sure which would be the better option. Whichever option I go for, it would be paid for on a credit card for the protection, and we would take out travel insurance as soon as we book. Any suggestions as to the best option to take?

Booking the package works out at £250 more than booking it myself, on a £2k holiday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »