Talk

Advanced search

Doctors or wait and see?

(11 Posts)
Wellmet Wed 14-Aug-19 08:21:22

Can anyone suggest a possible diagnosis please?

Yesterday evening I started feeling a dull ache in my back on the left hand side, about half way down. It was the kind of pain I'd usually associate with a UTI, but I have no other symptoms of this, urinating perfectly normally.

Sitting watching TV I found that it was at its worst when I took a deep breath. Took some paracetamol and went to bed. I managed to sleep but found I was waking up and sort of wincing now and then.

When I woke up properly I find it's now quite a sharp pain when I take a deep breath, and it's moved so it's in my side not my back. I got up thinking I'll ring the doctor's straight away cos this can't be right, only to find it's fine when I'm standing up, so now I feel a bit silly wasting their time.

Has anyone had this? Any thoughts on what it might be? I don't want to take an appointment if I can take paracetamol and rest and it'll pass on its own.

MildDrPepperAddiction Wed 14-Aug-19 08:28:30

Go to the doctor. This was my sister the other day. She had no other symptoms, but went to GP anyway after a while. Dip test showed no infection either.

She went on as long as she could but ended up in a&e when pain got too bad and has now spent the last 2 nights in hospital on a drip.

Better safe than sorry. Hope you feel better soon.

Wellmet Wed 14-Aug-19 08:35:40

Thanks for replying. What have they said with your sister, is it a UTI? I hope she's better soon.

Wellmet Wed 14-Aug-19 08:55:45

Just giving this a little bump to see if anyone has any other ideas?

MildDrPepperAddiction Wed 14-Aug-19 10:04:21

It is an infection, still waiting for lab results. Hopefully she'll respond to meds soon.

Seeline Wed 14-Aug-19 10:10:49

Could you have just tweaked a muscle if you aren't actually feeling ill?

LadyMonicaBaddingham Wed 14-Aug-19 10:13:17

Have you fallen recently? Sounds like I felt when I cracked a rib a few years ago. Rest up and take care of yourself. Any worse, see a doctor

Wellmet Wed 14-Aug-19 10:37:13

I haven't fallen, ladymonica. I was out all day yesterday with my in-laws and the kids, was perfectly fine until the evening.

I think I'm going to have a lazy morning and then see how o feel in the afternoon.

Sammy867 Wed 14-Aug-19 10:39:42

Any trouble breathing? As pain on breathing lying down but not standing up could be a blood clot on the lung (I had it a year ago, thought I’d pulled a muscle but it was only when lying down and I had a PE in my right lung) so I would always recommending getting checked

Wellmet Wed 14-Aug-19 10:55:37

Yes I feel like I'm struggling to get a full breath when sitting or lying down.

I feel such a fraud because honestly I'm fine other than this, in myself, iyswim.

Sammy867 Wed 14-Aug-19 11:41:55

Yeah I was but I went to the GP and they sent me straight to hospital where they did a d dimer and a CT which showed a blood clot (I was young, healthy but on the pill) and now on blood thinners for life. It sounds very similar to what I had and I would definitely urge getting checked out ASAP I was spending the night sitting in bed or pacing the room as I was breathless when lying down.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »