Talk

Advanced search

His old were you when you started to have night sweats

(33 Posts)
Lardlizard Wed 14-Aug-19 07:37:39

And what happened ? As I think I might has had one last night either that or I just woke up really hot ??

Scalp was sweaty and wet and chest was also sweaty

Back wasn’t though

Just woke up went to the toilet and then went back to sleep

YorkieTheRabbit Wed 14-Aug-19 08:52:08

I was 48. I had a heavy cold at the time so I put them down to that. A week later the cold had gone but the sweats hadn’t hmm
My sweats tend to come on very quickly, fine one minute then whoosh, usually- face, scalp, neck, chest, back, arms and hands, I never realised how much sweat the back of my hands produce envy < not envy

Lardlizard Wed 14-Aug-19 10:23:50

Yorker, do you think I had one last night then
It was only my scalp and chest
No where else ?

YorkieTheRabbit Wed 14-Aug-19 12:28:30

In all honesty, it’s hard to say.
As I said, I put the first few down to having a cold. They got worse and more frequent for me, several a night and I was totally soaked but only upper body.
I’m 52 now and still have them. I went on hrt for 18 months but it didn’t suit me, the sweats came back within days of stopping taking it.

TrickyKid Wed 14-Aug-19 12:35:02

45. I wake up with a really wet chest and neck. Usually just go straight back to sleep so not too bothersome at the moment.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Wed 14-Aug-19 12:40:49

48 - it started at a time that I was very stressed at work and for a while, I thought I was walking up in a cold sweat because of anxiety, but now I think it was a combination of that and age.

AlwaysaLittleBitTired Wed 14-Aug-19 12:44:02

41 (possibly). I am still trying to figure out whether I too am now experiencing these.

Keep a diary of when they come on, see if they are more frequent than usual?

MaidenMotherCrone Wed 14-Aug-19 12:47:41

43/44......would wake up drenched and have to change the bed and shower. 51 now and have them occasionally. Periods still regular as clockwork but lighter.

Getoffmylilo Wed 14-Aug-19 12:51:57

Same as @MaidenMotherCrone, except periods stopped at 43. I bought a clever duvet (I don't know what it's actually called!) which helps regulate temperature, actually worked. Think I got it in John Lewis.

Idratherhaveacupoftea Wed 14-Aug-19 13:05:23

43, but that was the only symptom I had. I was incredibly lucky and that only lasted for a few weeks.

TrumpInflatableChased Wed 14-Aug-19 13:08:42

Early 40s. HRT stopped them almost completely down to once every few months from every night waking up and having to change the sheets.

Wool duvet really helped too

Mrsbclinton Wed 14-Aug-19 13:16:10

I experienced my first one earlier this year age 41.
I woke up soaked everywhere hair chest torso back of knees and freezing. Took me a while to figure out what was going on.

I tend to get more hot flushes during the day than night sweats.

dementedma Wed 14-Aug-19 13:20:54

About 47. 8 years on and still having them whenever I stop HRT

happycamper11 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:40:48

I'm 39 and have phases of night sweats on and off. It's happened ever since I gave birth to dd1 at 30 though (and she has a smaller sister) so I'm not sure it's at all menopause related 🤔

Lardlizard Thu 15-Aug-19 00:03:59

Hope it doesn’t happen again tonight

justilou1 Thu 15-Aug-19 00:06:49

tryingtobebetterallthetime Thu 15-Aug-19 00:24:30

Around 45. I would wake up drenched, throw of the covers, go back to sleep, then wake up freezing. Repeat all night. I ended that period of my life the proud owner of 3 or 4 expensive quilts promising to help. None did. I will never live my quilt collection down. DH is very thrifty and I drove him crazy looking at expensive solutions. I wish men could experience it. Awful.

I had hormone replacement for a short time and it helped but everyone was petrified to take it 10 years ago due to a study that had been released.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Thu 15-Aug-19 00:27:22

What is this hell? I’m 50 (getting worried now)

RaininSummer Thu 15-Aug-19 00:55:05

Started at 56. I don't get all sweaty though, just burn up for 5 mins or so around 4 times a night. It does get annoying kicking the duvet off so often.

Haworthia Thu 15-Aug-19 00:58:29

I’ve been getting them since my early 20s as part of my normal menstrual cycle - lucky me! They’ve always felt like the heat was being generated from my trunk area, nowhere else. I feel waves of heat going up and down my back.

Luckingfovely Thu 15-Aug-19 02:27:43

This old!

Wake up freezing cold and damp all over. It's horrible confused

justilou1 Thu 15-Aug-19 06:42:27

Mine hit in the afternoon, btw. And I’m on HRT. It’s winter here in Aus.... I’m pretty sure I’m going to die in the summer time.

Redcherries Thu 15-Aug-19 07:06:07

33, but drenching night sweats, like you’ve had a shower in your sleep and then gotten back into bed. It’s really unpleasant, it soaks the bedding. I had to have tests for leukaemia over the summer but thankfully despite having an odd blood count due to a medical condition which indicated the same it was ruled out after 4 months.

Oddly despite many many peri symptoms now my hormone blood test is always normal so no hrt until I hit 40. 6 years down, 1 to go!

TrumpInflatableChased Thu 15-Aug-19 09:05:39

With apologies to the poster with the expensive quilt solutions - the wool duvet was fab for me until the HRT kicked in.

The 30 year old with peri symptoms...that sounds like you need something !

justilou1 Sat 17-Aug-19 01:20:38

I have cooling pillows.... they have gel pads across the top layer. I think they make a bit of a difference. (I would put them in the fridge if I could)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »