Talk

Advanced search

What is a job that helps people?

(26 Posts)
1wokeuplikethis Tue 13-Aug-19 13:18:40

I’m returning to work after a 3 year break. I’ve worked in a role that helped people (police orientated) and I’ve worked in an office doing things that I didn’t really care much about as it was a big corporation.

I get much more pleasure and satisfaction in a job where I feel like I’m helping people but I am finding it hard to think of such roles which don’t require training/studying, so I couldn’t be a paramedic say, or a social worker. I don’t have the time or money to retrain but I’d love to learn on the job.

I’ve considered being an emergency call handler, police staff, prison service... but is there any other roles that I haven’t thought about that would fit the bill of helping/doing good?

Lepetitpiggy Tue 13-Aug-19 13:22:39

Working in a homeless shelter/hostel? I have worked in the homelessness sector for 10 years and it's rewarding, frustrating, saddening and maddening but I wouldn't do anything else!

LIZS Tue 13-Aug-19 13:24:57

Support worker, for an individual or social group such as for those with additional needs or mh issues,
Customer service at Local Authority ie. Housing department
Reenablement worker to support those discharged from hospital or with disabilities
Community worker organising engagement activities and local information services
Benefits adviser at CAB or LA

imsorryiasked Tue 13-Aug-19 13:40:24

Admin in a care home
Funeral director
Tourist information office / tourist attraction

Herocomplex Tue 13-Aug-19 13:42:27

The Probation Service is desperate for people, especially working in hostels. The pay isn’t bad!

thedevilinablackdress Tue 13-Aug-19 15:02:22

Anything in the NHS... there's an enormous range of jobs.

Lozz22 Tue 13-Aug-19 15:06:00

Carer? I made the switch from 18 years of retail, had zero experience and to be honest never even thought I'd get through the interview. I was offered the job there and then. 3 days class room training and then a week shadowing. I'm nearly into my first year now and I absolutely love it!! I must admit I did struggle for the first month or so but as soon as I found my confidence that was it. It's the first job that I've actually looked forward to going to!!

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 13-Aug-19 15:06:57

If you are good at admin/office work, I'd say working in the office in a high stress place. Charity, shelter etc. Because lovely as us SW/support worker types are, we desperately need to be organised. Someone needs to know how to pay us, do mileage and submit paperwork to the grants/government.

I LOVED the last three admin people in my roles and there is currently a sign up in my office with 6 DAYS UNTIL MARY RETURNS with hearts all round it because the front desk admin is on holiday and the place is falling apart.

You could then see if the 'work' appeals.

1wokeuplikethis Tue 13-Aug-19 16:01:49

These are great suggestions

hellenbackagen Tue 13-Aug-19 16:14:18

if you worked in a police environment how about actually giving policing a go?

its the best job and at times the worst job in the world. !

hellenbackagen Tue 13-Aug-19 16:15:22

or if you dont fancy the yearly fitness test and the general shit that comes with it -
- look at civilian investigator?

EssentialHummus Tue 13-Aug-19 16:24:58

Coming at it from a different angle but I write CVs and do mock interviews for a living and find it hugely fulfilling - people work with me and then get jobs that better their and their families’ lives. And I do some work on a low fee basis.

Waxonwaxoff0 Tue 13-Aug-19 16:28:42

Support work in a hostel. You don't need qualifications and can learn on the job.

yearinyearout Tue 13-Aug-19 16:37:45

Hellenbackagen what is a civilian investigator? Sounds like my kind of job (I'm great at research and finding shit out)

1wokeuplikethis Tue 13-Aug-19 17:51:44

I just looked at the probation officer job and blow my bloody luck, they aren’t accepting any more applications as of 19th July. It’s a shame because that really interests me.

hellenbackagen I applied when I was young, single and looking for excitement. The recruitment process got dropped because the conservatives took office.
Now I am older (albeit fitter) and I have a young family and everything seems a bit scarier and riskier, I just don’t think I’m cut out for it any more.

danni0509 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:37:20

Working with children / adults with Learning disabilities etc.

KisstheTeapot14 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:09:35

Play to your skills - using your skills to help people is the best feeling in the world. Also depends on where your passions lie - do you feel strongly about disability, wildlife, helping people overcome addiction ?

Off the top of my head -

tutor kids with dyslexia/poor maths (sliding scale?)
advisor (CAB or similar to help people make decisions)
a role where you help elderly people be less isolated
school cook
TA
Samaritans

Depends how much you want/need to earn to live, who you want to help, where you are/opportunities in your area.

In your previous role were there things you were drawn to particularly? Helping people avoid crime, or helping victims overcome trauma?

KisstheTeapot14 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:10:59

Teaching prisoners to read is a good one if you have good literacy.

80% of prison population have poor literacy skills. School didn't do them justice sad

Hoppinggreen Tue 13-Aug-19 20:15:48

I help people, but they are people who are generally pretty well off and need my knowledge and expertise rather than people who need “help” so to speak

LIZS Tue 13-Aug-19 20:37:36

The problem you may find is that, due to funding cuts, many previously paid support roles are now using volunteers. However they still need someone as Volunteer Coordinator to organise those people and match with service users, although that tends to be less hands on.

MamaLazarou Tue 13-Aug-19 20:42:12

Helping offenders to get into paid work after release. Or anything to do with helping ex offenders to resettle into the community and make a new start. Having a job helps prevent reoffending so it benefits the whole community.

Be1atrix Tue 13-Aug-19 20:55:46

Pastoral in a SEN school.

Otterses Tue 13-Aug-19 21:02:39

@1wokeuplikethis

Have a look on indeed for Case Managers if you're interested in probation smile . There's a lot of recruitment going on at the moment in my region.

What about Project Work? I did some agency work in various projects tackling homelessness, everything from cafes to workshops. I absolutely loved the variety of it.

Sunflowers11 Tue 13-Aug-19 22:23:58

What about being a 999 call handler for any of our Emergency Services.?

Otterses Wed 14-Aug-19 12:17:35

Another thought OP, are union reps paid?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »