Talk

Advanced search

Scratches on Cars

(36 Posts)
Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:13:00

Sorry to keep asking car stuff on here, but I don't know anyone in real life that I can ask. My husband can drive but doesn't know how to top up screenwash.

I cannot avoid brambles getting in and out of our street and my car is getting a lot of small scratches. I know that I can use something like t-cut to get rid, but is there anything I can do to make my car more resistant to these scratches.

Any help would be appreciated.

Seeline Tue 13-Aug-19 10:17:58

Cut back the brambles?

Vibiano Tue 13-Aug-19 10:18:34

Cut the brambles back?

Scruffalicious Tue 13-Aug-19 10:20:27

Are you allowed to trim growth on your street?

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:20:33

I am not able to cut the brambles back.

Or rather, I don't want to get beaten up.

I just wondered if there was something I could put on the car.

Seeline Tue 13-Aug-19 10:21:01

Seriously, if it is a public road, adopted by the local Council, and brambles are interfering with cars on the road, then I would contact the Council to get them cut back. It must be very difficult for pedestrians to navigate.

thenightsky Tue 13-Aug-19 10:21:29

Look under the bonnet. Screen wash bottle is the one with a picture of spray like this

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:22:01

@Scruffalicious The street is complicated and it's possibly potentially outing as I have never heard of a similar set up, but I would be at least threatened with violence for interfering.

The brambles are not near my home.

Vibiano Tue 13-Aug-19 10:23:12

Park in a different spot?

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:23:53

@Seeline It's not an adopted road and the ownership is complicated.

@thenightsky I've worked out screenwash and will probably be the one checking tyre pressure on both cars and adding screenwash. DH doesn't seem to be affected, and I don't like going near his car.

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:26:25

@Vibiano It's difficult to park elsewhere. I don't want to be one of those posters who go, 'yes, but...' but the nearest streets are all main roads and not necessarily 'naice', which is why I was hoping I could work something out so I could park on my street.

It's a thought, though.

sackrifice Tue 13-Aug-19 10:26:53

My husband can drive but doesn't know how to top up screenwash.

Pop the hood, pop the screenwash lid, put in some screenwash [if it is the already diluted type, which will say on the container, put it in until it is full. if it is the dilute type, put some in and then add water]. Pop back the lid. Close the hood. Test wipers.

I mean come on. It is like pouring juice or squash into a cup. Only on a car.

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:29:22

@sackrifice I've worked out screenwash. I was just using it to show that I wasn't surrounded by car people. I don't know what to google to find out about getting more protection for my car paintwork. When I try, I get confused by the sites, so I thought I would ask here as there are always people who know.

thenightsky Tue 13-Aug-19 10:38:36

I'm not sure you can protect against something as scratchy as brambles to be honest. I know there's a type of ceramic coating available, but as far as I know its very expensive. I've only really known people have it as an added extra as part of a new car deal package.

You might be best contacting a professional car detailer and asking what they could do.

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:41:50

@thenightsky thanks. Mine's a four year old citroen, not very fancy, so I don't think the ceramic thing is worth it. I'll google car detailers now. Thank you for the help.

sackrifice Tue 13-Aug-19 10:42:45

You might be best contacting a professional car detailer and asking what they could do.

I think they would go out at night and cut back the brambles.

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 10:57:13

@sackrifice and they could be the ones getting beaten up - result!

whatnametopick Tue 13-Aug-19 12:08:05

If you can't feel the scratches with your nail then they will just polish out

wowfudge Tue 13-Aug-19 12:21:33

Why would someone beat you up for cutting back brambles? If you have a right of way/access then it's bonkers to be damaging your car using the access.

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 12:22:58

@whatnametopick Thanks, that's really helpful. I'll have a prod around. They seem pretty small, but as they are ongoing and are likely to be so for years, I was worried about polishing the paint off.

I'll get there as long as Mumsnet lets me keep asking about cars. I really appreciate the advice.

wowfudge Tue 13-Aug-19 12:23:57

Spray the brambles with weedkiller. They'll be dying back soon, but a thorough spray with weedkiller in spring would help.

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 12:28:00

@wowfudge the area isn't 'naice' and the road is actually private property, in a sort of complicated and outing way, and while I have a right of way, there is also the issue that the brambles are entirely on the various people's land.

There's ongoing weird stuff and a court case involved and I just want to keep my head down. It's easier to look at polishing out the scratches.

It's been a few years since a taxi driver was threatened by a gun two doors down, though, so it's getting better.

LesLavandes Tue 13-Aug-19 12:29:33

T cut or similar

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 12:29:44

xpost
@wowfudge I hadn't thought about weedkiller, as I am wary of chemicals and plants. I'm a little worried about any sort of interference. It's all getting complicated. Sorry about the drip feed, but that's why I was asking about the car stuff.

Meckity1 Tue 13-Aug-19 12:33:23

@LesLavandes Thank you. Do you know how closely you have to match the colour, as my car is a bright purple

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »