Talk

Advanced search

Do you bleach your bath?

(165 Posts)
Littleduckeggblue Mon 12-Aug-19 17:35:45

After reading on another thread about people using (or in this case not using) bleach when cleaning their baths I was shocked to hear that I'm in the minority of people who do this.
Do you use bleach to clean your baths?

TheSandman Thu 15-Aug-19 00:00:25

I wonder how many posters here who bleach the hell out of everything that doesn't move have ever worked in a commercial kitchen?

I've worked in school canteens, hotels and cafe kitchens as a KP and have never used any bleach. Clean it and and dry it. You don't need to sterilise everything every time you use it.

megletthesecond Wed 14-Aug-19 20:48:03

No.
Only the toilet gets bleached.

Twillow Wed 14-Aug-19 20:20:10

No, never - what for?
A bottle of bleach lasts us months. Occasionally squirted in toilet but mainly just used on mouldy grout.
All those thick plastic bottles going into bins too!!

Best bathroom cleaner, I've discovered, is a mix of 3/4 white vinegar and 1/4 washing up liquid. I add it to an empty Method spray bottle. Cheap, effective, eco- friendly.

Cassandrainthenight Wed 14-Aug-19 20:08:20

BMW6
It's not even so much about the environment but the irony of being scared of "germs" and massively increasing your own and your family's risk of dying from emphysema or other lung diseases sad

I actually remembered being in a (very walking class btw) house of my DD's friend at the time, where the smell of fabric conditioner was permeating everything and everything was scrubbed within an inch of its life. I don't know if they used bleach a lot, but her youngish (50s) grandma who lived with them had emphysema. I wonder about the link now.

Most of the houses I've ever been a guest in were posh or bohemian, and most inhabitants were not focused on gleaming and sparkliness (some had cleaners but far from all), I doubt any owned bleach. Definitely no illnesses due to lack of sterility in those households.
I wonder when bleach became widespread in retail as a product for domestic cleaning?
One of my grandmas was working class and also cleaned obsessively ;), I loved staying in her cosy tidy house, but she never owned bleach. I remember she used something like bio powder but for cleaning in small cartons, to clean the bath/sink/toilet with.
I actually do use kitchen spray with bleach to clean (or shall I say whiten) stains in the kitchen butler sink, but I wouldn't use it inside a cup to get rid of tea stains, I'd scrub with bicarbonate of soda. Will be the last bleach spray I bought after this topic. I hate the smell of bleach and it stings my eyes and nostrils, I am a bit bemused by PPs who say they love the smell of bleach, it must be some genetic modification? (Which is responsible for people not liking coriander or being able to smell asparagus pee - which both apply to me - I wonder if those who love the smell of bleach are missing or their nose interprets differently the components which make it so offensive to others)

BMW6 Wed 14-Aug-19 17:06:51

I am shocked at the number of people using so much bleach. You are doing it from a misguided motive of protecting your family and yourself, yet are happily helping to destroy the environment that they need to survive!
Completely bonkers.

TheSandman Wed 14-Aug-19 16:40:31

I read recently that for domestic hygiene, handwashing before handling food is really all you need and is infinitely more effective at stopping the spread of disease that daily washed floors, for example.

Daily washing of door handles and light switches would do more to stop the spread of disease that keeping floors spotless. Anything where different people touch the same things.

I read somewhere about a system that does not allow nurses to use the computers on wards (the computer locks and remains frozen after a period of inactivity) until the keyboard has been wiped clean. Apparently it drastically cut down the rates of cross infection.

verystressedmum Wed 14-Aug-19 14:17:55

I didn't think bleach cleaned just disinfected. So if there's a line in the bath it's better to use something else.

I only like the smell of Zoflora country garden and I sometimes put it in the washing machine when I do bed sheets and towels, but I've never cleaned with it no idea what to use it for apart from the towel washing.

AwdBovril Tue 13-Aug-19 18:12:30

We don't own any bottles of bleach, but really need to invest in shares in Dettol / HG, due to our use of mould & mildew spray. We go through lots of it, because our landlord is a cheapskate & won't treat the mould (in the walls) properly & kill it off. The grouting, silicone sealant etc, needs doing every month or so, & we have to replace the rubber bath mat every year or two as it's just dreadful despite me spraying it liberally every week or so.

Other than that, I tend to use very mild cleaning agents around the house.

fortheloveofPete Tue 13-Aug-19 18:00:31

I'm...I'm not sure

I don't go out of my way to bleach the bath, but I do use it if there is nothing else available, or I can't be arsed to go back downstairs for the bathroom cleaner.

kaytee87 Tue 13-Aug-19 17:58:51

@TheOnlySnot bleach doesn't actually clean anything, it just disinfects it. A good scrub/wipe with cif or another bathroom cleaner would be far better.

DameSquashalot Tue 13-Aug-19 15:23:31

@Cassandrainthenight I just came on to post that very same link. I sprayed some bleach inside the overflow for the sink and began to feel light-headed, so had a Google.

CassianAndor Tue 13-Aug-19 14:15:34

Cassandra I read recently that for domestic hygiene, handwashing before handling food is really all you need and is infinitely more effective at stopping the spread of disease that daily washed floors, for example.

CassianAndor Tue 13-Aug-19 14:14:04

no, you really don't have to bleach your bath. For a start, if he's that dirty a shower would surely be better, otherwise he's just lying there in his own filth.

TheOnlySnot Tue 13-Aug-19 13:00:47

I have to bleach my bath, as OH gets messy in work, so it’s the most effective way I’ve found to clean the dreaded scum line off the sides.

orangeshoebox Tue 13-Aug-19 12:57:57

I never use sprays.
am asthmatic and sprays are really really bad for the airways.

Cassandrainthenight Tue 13-Aug-19 12:53:04

Dr Chris van Tulleken in the Times on air pollution and its effects on health:

Ditch the detergent
I loathe health fascism and crazed celebrity wellbeing sites, which often fail to give the simplest, most effective advice. You really don’t need all those supermarket-bought, bleach- and chlorine-laden cleaning products. Not only are they nasty to inhale, you often end up using an unwashed, bug-ridden cloth with them anyway. Wiping and scrubbing with a microfibre cloth and plain water will, in most cases, do the job fine, though you can’t go wrong with lemon, vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. You simply need things to be visibly clean, as living in a sterile environment isn’t generally good for you. That toilet-bowl cleaner can go, too — unless you plan to eat out of your loo, a good scrub with a long brush should suffice. As for antibacterial hand gels and wipes, regular soap will do the job just as well — and do make sure you wash your hands before you eat.

Cassandrainthenight Tue 13-Aug-19 12:41:39

learn.compactappliance.com/cleaning-with-bleach/

Cassandrainthenight Tue 13-Aug-19 12:38:00

This thread reminded me of flushing tampons in the toilet threads, where to my shock a crowd of posters still come and say I always flush tampons, I thought everyone did??
Though hopefully it's going to be more and more rare, with environmental awareness etc growing. I definitely never met anyone under 25 (I asked DD and all her friends specifically out of interest) to whom it would even occur to flush tampons down the toilet (though they must exist if their mums still do and taught them to). Hopefully bleach will be eventually a rare product used for cleaning in emergencies and not commonplace...

Benjispruce Tue 13-Aug-19 07:48:32

Thesandman I use whatever’s to hand in the shower to clean the tiles. Like you said it’s the scrubbing and hot water that removes dirt and bacteria. Same in the kitchen. I ditched anti-bac spray for a normal household cleaner, barkeepers friend for stains and a good scrub. Nobody has been ill in years.

theneverendinglaundry Tue 13-Aug-19 07:26:42

That's exactly what I thought @lazylinguist - germophobic. Cleaning with normal bathroom cleaner is enough. We dont need to sanitise everything, we're not eating our dinner off the bath are we! Plus, bleach wouldn't remove any limescale. So if I did use bleach, my bath would be germ free and ready for the next operation but would be encrusted with limescale.

Nat6999 Tue 13-Aug-19 01:18:43

I use bathroom spray with bleach on my bath & probably once a month fill the bath with hot water, washing up liquid & bleach to clean the non slip mat & my bath stool that I use due to disability, stops the black gunge building up on the suckers.

JellyfishAndShells Tue 13-Aug-19 00:35:46

Method spray for general bathroom cleaning, Viakal liquid or spray occasionally (hard water area) and some bleach on an old toothbrush about twice a year to tackle the tiles and grout.

I did use some bleach on the bath a couple of weeks ago after I tipped away a bowl of water that had been soaking some paint palettes and found it had dyed some non slip strips on the base of the bath an unnerving shade of purple. The bathroom and whole house reeked of bleach all day - glad it was summer so I could open all the windows!

Tweetingmagpie Tue 13-Aug-19 00:24:31

I use flash bathroom or cif cream, and viakal on the taps and shower bits and bobs.

I only really use bleach on the kitchen floor every now and again, I used to use it down the toilet but i use toilet cleaner instead now.

TheSandman Tue 13-Aug-19 00:22:19

Er no. I scrub it with whatever shampoo is nearby

Yes! (airpunch!) I am not alone! I figured out years ago that most household cleaners are pretty much the same but with different smells and fancy labels. 95% of all shit removal is actually done by scrubbing / rubbing / scraping the stuff. I clean most things with whatever shampoos comes to hand - usually Tesco's dead cheap own brand budget stuff. (Most shampoos are all basically the same as well, just some have extra weed extracts and expensive bullshit advertising.)

Shampoo works down toilets too! And if you use Head and Shoulders your bog will never get dandruff!

RoseMartha Mon 12-Aug-19 22:31:10

I use bath cleaner with no bleach in

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »