Talk

Advanced search

Do you bleach your bath?

(165 Posts)
Littleduckeggblue Mon 12-Aug-19 17:35:45

After reading on another thread about people using (or in this case not using) bleach when cleaning their baths I was shocked to hear that I'm in the minority of people who do this.
Do you use bleach to clean your baths?

verystressedmum Mon 12-Aug-19 18:21:36

I use flash with bleach spray for the bathroom so I use that on it but no one has baths in my house so I just usually wipe it with a sponge scourer thing and rinse it as it gets dusty.
If the dog goes in it I would use a bit of spray.

verystressedmum Mon 12-Aug-19 18:24:20

However I do use bleach and anti bac stuff in the house dds immune system is not great after chemotherapy but I hate using chemicals but don't really know what else to use

fromthefloorboardsup Mon 12-Aug-19 18:28:53

I only use bleach down the loo. I used method bathroom spray on the bath, sink & shower. Smells a lot nicer- bleach makes me cough!

InMySpareTime Mon 12-Aug-19 18:44:51

I bleached the bath for the first time a few weeks ago when DD dyed her hair blue and left the bath with a blue tide mark.
Soap and scrubbing were not doing the trick so I resorted to bleach.
It's not nice for the enamel, but the blue was annoying!

bouncingraindrops Mon 12-Aug-19 18:51:27

I use bleach and fairy liquid for everything. I was brought up by my Nanna (I am over 40 now) and that's what she did. I have never spent money on spray cleaners. Thin bleach is dirt cheap and goes a long way.

DontCallMeShitley Mon 12-Aug-19 18:57:47

I still use Flash spray to remove the soap scum that is left behind when others 'clean' the bath.

Just tried Method but the smell got to me, it contains irritants. I read the label, tried it, then read it again and realised I had missed it the first time.

Bleach doesn't do that although I do ensure I don't breathe it in. I like the smell of bleach but I do limit use.

Solonelywastheballard Mon 12-Aug-19 19:15:18

Always use bleach, I prefer the smell. The cleaners without bleach smell horrible.

It cleans stuff better too.

GreenTulips Mon 12-Aug-19 19:22:28

Washing up liquid is the best thing for a baths surface

Bleach burns your lungs - why would you do that?

I only bleach drains if they are in desperate need and then sparingly

Littleduckeggblue Mon 12-Aug-19 19:29:56

Good to know other people bleach their bathrooms too

Firecarrier Mon 12-Aug-19 19:31:26

Occasionally yes. Also use fairy liquid as it works just as well and is much cheaper than fancy sprays. I also use bleach on stainless steel sink.

dementedpixie Mon 12-Aug-19 19:32:06

What does that actually mean? How much bleach, do you mix it with anything else, dilute it, etc? I wouldn't know what to do with it

BigSandyBalls2015 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:33:24

Wow mumsnet just keeps on giving with weird shit .... this would never enter my head! How dirty does a bath get, it’s not a toilet!!!

MonstranceClock Mon 12-Aug-19 19:35:25

I don't know anyone who doesn't bleach their bath?? I do mine once a week. Nothing else keeps it as white as bleach does.

Nonnymum Mon 12-Aug-19 19:38:10

I would never think of bleaching the bath. Doesn't it discolour or damage it?

Roominmyhouse Mon 12-Aug-19 19:40:39

Nope never bleached my bath and it’s still white and shiny. I use non bleach based cleaners and a bit of elbow grease. The only time I use bleach is about once a year when I bleach the grouting in the tiles.

bouncingraindrops Mon 12-Aug-19 19:41:50

I would never think of bleaching the bath. Doesn't it discolour or damage it?

Mine is enamel and is as shiny as the day it arrives which was over 20 years ago.

justasking111 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:44:29

I use bleach on seals, and on the lower tiles, shower in bath so they get mucky looking. Then a squirt of flash. We have one of those damn D baths, my arms are too short to stretch across so I use a kitchen pot brush to reach. Now and again a good scrub with Cif.

TheSandman Mon 12-Aug-19 19:45:24

No, it's never occurred to me to do so. I very occasionally wipe the grouting/sealant around the bath with bleach to deal with mold/mildew.

This.

And I'm a cleaner - that's my job.

justasking111 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:46:42

I always open the window when using bleach or spray, hold my breath while I am doing it and leave the room for ten minutes. I too think it is not good for your lungs.

Mumshappy Mon 12-Aug-19 19:46:46

I use the flask with bleach spray to clean the bath every day. Takes about 3 minutes wouldn't feel like it was clean any other way. Dd15 usually loads of vile bathbombs and dd8 and ds 16months have sensitive skin. I swill it out with the shower afterwards.

bobstersmum Mon 12-Aug-19 19:47:35

Not in the bath, just down the loos. I clean the bath with washing up liquid it does a brilliant job!

DameSquashalot Mon 12-Aug-19 19:47:38

I've never bleached the bath. A quick rinse after use keeps it looking clean and shiny. I use Splosh at the mo, but will probably start using home made cleaner when it's finished.

cookiemonster3 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:48:00

I use flash with bleach if that counts?

NC4this123 Mon 12-Aug-19 19:49:03

Can’t believe how many people don’t 🤮 yes I do. I clean the whole bathroom with bleach plus kitchen sink and kitchen surfaces

formerbabe Mon 12-Aug-19 19:49:28

I clean it with bathroom spray or flash spray with bleach. Neat bleach goes down the toilet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »