Talk

Advanced search

Do you bleach your bath?

(165 Posts)
Littleduckeggblue Mon 12-Aug-19 17:35:45

After reading on another thread about people using (or in this case not using) bleach when cleaning their baths I was shocked to hear that I'm in the minority of people who do this.
Do you use bleach to clean your baths?

YesQueen Mon 12-Aug-19 22:27:13

Er no. I scrub it with whatever shampoo is nearby (I don't use shampoo so I need to use it up somehow)
If it's very bad then a bathroom spray or all purpose cleaner. Bleach for the edging if it gets black mould
I have virtually no immune system, and I'm a slattern according to most of these threads. But I never get d and v

Ayemama Mon 12-Aug-19 22:23:51

I use a watered down vinegar and soap concoction that I make up to do the bath.
It takes off the limescale with a little scrubbing then wash again with soapy water.
I have bleached it a couple of times when the kids have pooped in it though.

ThrowThoseCurtainsWide Mon 12-Aug-19 22:22:03

I use cillit bang bleach & hygiene spray for everything. Purely because anything else seems to leave a slightly greasy residue, but this stuff doesn't. If it's not available I get Sainsbury's kitchen cleaner with bleach which is almost as good. Use them on everything (although separate bottles for kitchen & bathroom). But I'm lazy and probably only give the bathroom a clean every 6 weeks or so / if the bath is visibly scuzzy. The rest of the time I just give the bath a good wipe around with an old flannel (that then goes straight in the washing machine) and hose it off with the shower

QueenEnid Mon 12-Aug-19 22:14:48

Bleach for the toilets only. There is no need to use bleach for anything else. For general cleaning I use stardrops and hot water. In fact I use stardrops for pretty much everything

NeverGotMyPuppy Mon 12-Aug-19 22:13:40

One day people will study us and shake their heads sadly at peoples utter obsession with germs.

I bleached mine today after DS poo'd in the bat. That is the second time I have ever done it, both for the same reason.

MarthaDunstable Mon 12-Aug-19 22:07:49

Putting chlorine bleach down the loo or round the bath (as long as you don’t have a septic tank) isn’t actually a big environmental problem because it’s a simple, very chemically active molecule which decomposes very quickly indeed once it hits water. There are environmental problems with its manufacture, prolonged inhalation of the fumes isn’t good for you, and accidentally destroying your best T shirt and replacing it isn’t very green, but you’re not poisoning the fishes with it.

bobstersmum Mon 12-Aug-19 22:02:51

Zoflora is no good at all for actually cleaning grime, it does not cut through grease or limescale.

Felipa Mon 12-Aug-19 21:56:24

I use Method bathroom cleaner as it smells gorgeous. My bath is white and shiny.

I would only use bleach if the baby poos in the bath or if i have been rinsing off soiled sheets or clothes. The smell of bleach really makes me feel ill, I've always hated it.

chemenger Mon 12-Aug-19 21:54:32

I assume that if a house smells of bleach that it was properly filthy at some point and needed desperate measures before my visit; that normal cleaning wasn't enough. I do regularly buy bleach; up to once a decade.

Lockheart Mon 12-Aug-19 21:50:41

I bleach the toilet once a week and maybe use it on grout which has got black mildew, but no I wouldn't bleach a bath unless it was a really drastic incident.

Even then I'd probably just use regular disinfectant or Zoflora rather than bleach.

I mostly clean my bathroom with a generic surface cleaner and limescale remover.

Dandelion1993 Mon 12-Aug-19 21:47:54

Use bleach through out my bathroomsi just don't feel like the germs are gone without it.

Lalallama Mon 12-Aug-19 21:46:24

When people say they bleach the bathroom what do you actually mean?

A couple of drops in a bowl of water and wipe everything with it?

Or neat?

BeckyButters Mon 12-Aug-19 21:44:53

Amazed at the amount of "I thought everybody did" posts. No, we don't, because you don't really need to...

BeckyButters Mon 12-Aug-19 21:43:26

Christ. We are all going to environmental hell in a hand cart... (cleaned with bleach, obvs)

DameSquashalot Mon 12-Aug-19 21:40:34

Bleaching a bath is absolute madness (unless there is some kind of deadly disease)

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 12-Aug-19 21:38:52

I only bleach the bog.

MerryDeath Mon 12-Aug-19 21:36:23

flash bathroom for me. bleach is only for the loo and exceptional disaster zones. no one has died or even contracted any infections, yet!

FeeFee832 Mon 12-Aug-19 21:28:34

Bleached my bath this afternoon! Do it regularly - bleach the bath, leave for 10 mins and rinse. Do the same with the sink and the toilet!

Benjispruce Mon 12-Aug-19 21:26:27

Even when I do use bleach, it’s a drop in hot water, never neat.

Benjispruce Mon 12-Aug-19 21:24:47

Every now and then after watching Kim and Aggie do those swab tests showing most baths contain poo matter. But generally I just give it a good scrub with a general cleaner and shower off with very hot water.

notso Mon 12-Aug-19 21:24:21

I sometimes bleach the toilets, drains and have used bleach sprays on mould and stains.
When DS had E. coli I used bleach to clean the bathroom, floors and door handles as advised by the lovely lady from the Environmental Health Department.

I don't understand why the bath would need to be regularly bleached unless it's contained hazardous waste.

lazylinguist Mon 12-Aug-19 21:22:19

Sorry in advance for shouting, but YOU DO NOT NEED BLEACH TO GET THINGS PROPERLY CLEAN, even if someone has sneezed on your bath shockhmm.

People who do 🤮 emojis at the thought of someone not using bleach are utterly ridiculous. Stop being prissy and germ-phobic and thing of the environment (and your immune system).

UrbanMage Mon 12-Aug-19 21:22:01

Viakal the bath weekly as the limescale we get is gross and give it a spray using bathroom cleaner about half a week later.

Then zoflo down the plughole.

Sparklingbrook Mon 12-Aug-19 21:21:24

If i walk into a house and I smell bleach I assume there's a bout of D&V or the dog/cat has pooed somewhere. Bleurgh.
Why would you want your house to smell of public toilets?

Casander Mon 12-Aug-19 21:21:07

I bleach the entire bathroom (sink, bath, tiles, toilet, floor) and most of the kitchen, I thought everyone did blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »