Talk

Advanced search

Do you bleach your bath?

(165 Posts)
Littleduckeggblue Mon 12-Aug-19 17:35:45

After reading on another thread about people using (or in this case not using) bleach when cleaning their baths I was shocked to hear that I'm in the minority of people who do this.
Do you use bleach to clean your baths?

CassianAndor Mon 12-Aug-19 17:52:15

No!!!!!!!

Mum2jenny Mon 12-Aug-19 17:52:41

No bleach in my house

Fatted Mon 12-Aug-19 17:52:44

Oops @BertieBotts most bathroom sprays have bleach in nowadays. Flash definitely do one with bleach. So people saying they don't use bleach may inadvertently do.

Raphael34 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:53:32

My whole bathroom gets bleached once a week. I love the smell of bleach and it just sparkles after, I just don’t feel it’s as clean if I use anything else

Junobug Mon 12-Aug-19 17:54:15

I sometimes stick a bit down the plug holes and on the grout to get rid of the black mould, but not round the bath. I do use it to whiten my butler sink though.

madeyemoodysmum Mon 12-Aug-19 17:54:15

Only maybe twice a year if kids been sick or poo explosion

BuggerOffAndGoodDayToYou Mon 12-Aug-19 17:56:45

I don’t have bleach in the house. Can’t bear the smell and it isn’t necessary in my opinion.

The last time we had V&D in the house (a VERY long time ago) I used dettol but not bleach.

Dec2019mumtobe Mon 12-Aug-19 18:02:50

Yes, but not always.

Most the time, I use some other product. Then once in a while, a deeper clean with a bleach bathroom product.

Why? Bleach kills bacteria. I don't think cif and flash are antibacterial.

Mammyloveswine Mon 12-Aug-19 18:02:54

I always bleach my bathroom, my toilet and my kitchen! I thought it was the norm! confused

theneverendinglaundry Mon 12-Aug-19 18:03:00

Very very rarely use bleach, the last bottle I had lasted me 6 years!! Certianly never use it to clean the bath with.

MarthaDunstable Mon 12-Aug-19 18:03:54

Grout yes, the bath itself, no. I use a non-bleach spray and a plastic scourer to remove all residue.

PixieLumos Mon 12-Aug-19 18:09:37

No just regular bathroom cleaner. Unless you’ve just moved into a house or you only clean your bath once a year I don’t see why that would be necessary.

MarthaDunstable Mon 12-Aug-19 18:11:00

Bacteria won’t hang around on smooth clean dry porcelain. They need food. That said, if there’d been some form of disastrous and disgusting incident or horrible disease I probably would reach for the bleach just in case I’d missed a nook or cranny when scrubbing. I think I’m that rarest of Mumsnet creatures - someone who thinks that bleach is a safe useful product which has its place but who doesn’t use it routinely at every clean. Everyone else seems to be split into “But we’ll die of the germs if we don’t use bleach!” and “It’s an actual literal poison! Why do you have it in your home?”

GoGoGoGoGo Mon 12-Aug-19 18:11:56

No I just use a bathroom spray cleaner. I do put bleach down the toilet and in my kitchen sink.

NavyBlueHue Mon 12-Aug-19 18:12:43

I use bleach in the bath and toilet because I love the smell. I could use other cleaners but I like bleach. Horses for courses and you’re not alone OP.

TheHodgeoftheHedge Mon 12-Aug-19 18:12:59

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/11/regularly-using-bleach-linked-to-higher-risk-of-fatal-lung-disease

allthegins Mon 12-Aug-19 18:13:08

I only put bleach down the loo. I used flash everywhere else

NavyBlueHue Mon 12-Aug-19 18:14:07

Also I don’t use bleach to kill germs, I just like the way it brings up surfaces sparkly and the smell is fab.

NavyBlueHue Mon 12-Aug-19 18:15:17

... and it’s not an every day thing either.

Redcrayons Mon 12-Aug-19 18:15:19

Nope. I don’t really clean, just hose it down after I get out And a quick rinse before I run and new bath.
I put bleach down the loo once a week and I do clean the manky sealant with it once in a while. The smell makes me feel sick, so I don’t really use it that often.

Mereke Mon 12-Aug-19 18:15:27

I don't use bleach for anything. Last time I got a bottle was years ago.

ohmysoul Mon 12-Aug-19 18:16:10

Absolutely not. The only time I did was even DD did a massive poo in the bath that went absolutely everywhere.

CalamityJune Mon 12-Aug-19 18:17:18

In the toilet and for the grout

TeacupDrama Mon 12-Aug-19 18:18:38

bleach is really not necessary in a normal household ( ie no-one is immune deficient or recovering from a transplant or cancer or whose health is at more than average risk) there is no need for bleach it is not necessary unless someone has D &V so an average household would need 1-2 bottles a year at most
bleach does kill bacteria but not all bacteria need killing bleach is not good for the environment at all, bleach also does not remove the dead bacteria detergent is much much for this ( soap/ fairy liquid etc)
you should not use bleach if you have a septic tank, people with septic tanks do not get sick more often than those therefore bleach is not necessary
while lots of people bleach regularly ie once a week it is normal in the sense that lots of people do it but it is unnecessary and a marketing ploy there is no need for any anti-bacterials in any home unless it contains ill people
when hand washing is taught on cross infection courses at places like medical and dental practices it is emphasised that soap should NOT be anti-bacterial
it is thought that overuse of anti-bacterials and bleach is a major factor in antibiotic resistant bacteria and will in the end make the treatment of those seriously at risk from or with bacterial infections very much harder to treat
Triclosan is in many antibacterial cleaning products and is especially thought to be damaging there is an article in the lancet but it is behind a paywall

summary statement
"Antibacterial and antimicrobial cleaning products are no better at eliminating bacteria than cheaper plain soaps, detergents and warm water."

MsSquiz Mon 12-Aug-19 18:18:57

Never. I use Method shower spray after a bath and once a week clean it with the Method bathroom cleaner.

I only use bleach once a week down the toilets when giving them a good scrub

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »