Talk

Advanced search

How to get your children to sleep at night?

(22 Posts)
Staceylouise22 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:37:56

Hello, im in desperate need of getting my children to sleep at night. Ive tried pillow sprays, night lights, body sprays with lavender, books, long baths with bedtime bath in it. Nothing works! Ive been told about melatonin however my gp won't prescribe it and i cannot buy it from the pharmacy. Is there anything else i can do?
My eldest is 5yrs and my youngest is 14 months

sleepismysuperpower1 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:40:45

do you have a clear night routine OP? i find that helps my dc sleep. we have one as follows:

bath or shower
brush teeth
have a story whilst i brush their hair (helps make them sleepy i find)
tuck in
go to sleep

all the best x

Itsonlytuesdayqwer Mon 12-Aug-19 16:43:16

As above clear routine; no screens or stimulating activities an hour before bed time. Relaxing time.
Stagger the bed time as they probably bounce off each other at niggtn

Staceylouise22 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:53:54

Yes they have a good routine, my son tends not to be asleep by the time my daughter goes to bed which makes it difficult, he then keeps her awake via getting in her cot with her or messing about, im stuck as to know what to do, as he is still in nursery until September, he goes to nursery from 9-3:30 he comes home has a snack i start tea by half 4 tea is on the table by 5. They then have a play until 6:30 then its bath, brush teeth, get dryed and dressed he's in bed by 7 has a few books i leave the room by half 7 then by 9 o'clock its my daughters bedtime. X

ChihuahuaMummy1 Mon 12-Aug-19 16:59:36

Do they share a room?

soberfabulous Mon 12-Aug-19 17:00:35

The 5 year old goes to bed at 9? This seems far too late to me. My 6 year old is in bed at 7. Any later and she's overtired and messes about and won't sleep. They need 12 hours at that age don't they?

I would try moving them closer together if not the same time. Could you try that?

sleepismysuperpower1 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:02:02

could you try altering your routine so dinner is at 5:30, he plays up until then, after tea he has a bath (around 6 ish), watches a relaxing tv show (eg 64 zoo lane) with some warm milk (to make him sleepy), go upstairs, brush teeth, have a story and then lights out at 7. that way, by putting him to bed earlier, it gives him longer to settle down etc and fall asleep before his sister comes upstairs x

bouncingraindrops Mon 12-Aug-19 17:02:35

Yes they have a good routine, my son tends not to be asleep by the time my daughter goes to bed which makes it difficult, he then keeps her awake via getting in her cot with her or messing about

It's discipline you are missing. What the fuck is your 5 year old doing climbing in the babies cot confused

sleepismysuperpower1 Mon 12-Aug-19 17:03:00

whoops i misread that, i would put your 5 year old to bed at 7;30 following the routine above, but altering the times, and your youngest to bed at 7 following the routine above as i wrote it

Staceylouise22 Tue 13-Aug-19 19:40:25

They share a room, the problem is my son definitely has behaviour problems that i cant get to the bottom of ive tried everything he climbs into her cot because he can and thats what he says to me. Their routine is good it is kept up and very rarely allowed up any later so i dont know whats going wrong it is very difficult as i am a lone parent.

HopHoppityHop Tue 13-Aug-19 20:28:29

Honestly, I think I would try to put them down at the same time. Maybe a bit later for the eldest and earlier for the youngest to start with. Bath, teeth, bed, story, then sit in with them ignoring them whilst playing music and reading something on my phone.

Simple reprimands "this is your bed, it's time to go to sleep now" (pick up out of cot, put into bed)

Do you think he's jealous of the time the youngest has with you? Could that be why he's climbing into the cot? Because the baby gets extra time with mum.

HappyParent2000 Tue 13-Aug-19 20:31:11

Dinner done, Tablets and TV off, we don’t bath every night as that’s bad for the bills (and the environment) usually 2-3 times a week only.

Then it’s changed for bed, a quiet play time together as a family, 15 mins story time and the good dream spell from Greys Anatomy (tv show).

Ours sleep very well indeed!

Redken24 Wed 14-Aug-19 13:19:56

Put your wee one back into your room until you get the oldest one sorted.

I'd move bedtime earlier. Bath for 15 minutes. Teeth then bed. No stories etc do it all before bath.

Summerunderway Wed 14-Aug-19 13:26:20

For every night ds doesn't disturb the baby and get to sleep he gets £1 towards a new toy.
Back in the day ds got 20p!!
The nights he messes about no £1 mind.

DelurkingAJ Wed 14-Aug-19 13:38:17

For DS2 I do two stories with milk downstairs then IF he does good teeth brushing and getting into bed he gets another story.

Agree that if they’re in one room they need to go at the same time.

QforCucumber Wed 14-Aug-19 13:53:58

He's in bed for 7 but not asleep by 9?

What time does he get up on a morning? Does the little one wake through the night?

I agree with PP, I'd be making both bedtimes the same.

3.5 year old DS is in bed by 7:30 and asleep by 8 every night, I read to him and we have a chat about his day (nursery) then he knows it's time for sleep, very very rare hes still awake at 8 (usually if he's had a nap)

elizaxthai Wed 14-Aug-19 17:18:47

Does he have anything he's interested in or attached too? A toy maybe, a character? Maybe try using that to entice him to bed?

sotired2 Wed 14-Aug-19 17:26:01

sit 5 year old down and explain from now on once in bed behaviour you expect (to stay in bed and not climb in cot) have a sticker chart ready and explain for each night he does this he gets a sticker once he has an agreed amount of stickers he gets a pre agreed reward.
stick to routine keep calm and be consistent.

CodenameVillanelle Wed 14-Aug-19 17:28:07

Put your baby down in your room and transfer her later when DS is fast asleep.
Bribe DS with a star chart.
Put him to bed a bit later when he's definitely tired enough to sleep.

42andcounting Wed 14-Aug-19 18:23:15

All I will say is that I also have a 5yo who regularly lies awake for two hours after being put to bed. I don't think she has ever slept for 12 hours out of 24 in her life, including as a baby. Night time routine makes not one jot of difference. I don't know the answer, but I do suspect some children just need less sleep than others. I was the same as a kid. I feel your pain flowers

harper30 Wed 14-Aug-19 18:41:58

I think one of the PPs has it right and you should move the baby's cot back into your room and have her sleep in there with you until your son has gotten through this difficult sleep stage and you can trust him not to get into her cot etc

Whattodo20192 Wed 14-Aug-19 19:43:18

Also agree to put baby back in your room for now. Remove everything from your ds room so he can't get up to play and put a stair gate on his door so the door can be left open but he can't get out unnecessarily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »