Talk

Advanced search

I forgot the effing nappies

(59 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

tyerd Sun 11-Aug-19 21:35:40

I feel so shit right now.
DC admitted to hospital for the 2nd time this week. Just popped home and left her with a nurse to go grab some supplies/ medicationand I forgot her nappies angryangryangry
I'm so mad at myself. I wrote it down.
DC is going to have some strong laxatives with only one nappy as back up, handheld for the clean up

tyerd Sun 11-Aug-19 21:36:32

Hand hold for the clean up**

Drogosnextwife Sun 11-Aug-19 21:37:53

Don't worry the hospital keep nappies, they will give you some.

Drogosnextwife Sun 11-Aug-19 21:38:12

Well they should anyway.

SoyDora Sun 11-Aug-19 21:38:15

Could you ask the nurses if they’ve got any you could use? Or is there a chemist at the hospital?
Don’t beat yourself up, sounds like you’ve got a lot on your plate.

Crunchymum Sun 11-Aug-19 21:41:20

Any late night supermarkets nearby?

Anyone who can drop you some?

Anyone at home who can bung some on a local cab for you?

Any spares on the ward?

I once went to A&E with nothing (sent straight from GP surgery and he was in PJs. Only expected to be out for the length of the appointment and of course in my panic of being told to go to A&E I didn't think to nip home first. We weren't blue lighted but the GP did give me a tenner for cab fare as of course I hadn't bought any cash with me. Thankfully my less panicked DP bought all we needed a few hours later!!

LookImAHooman Sun 11-Aug-19 21:47:14

Ward will have some, don’t panic. Hope she’s home and well v soon.

tyerd Sun 11-Aug-19 21:51:34

When she was admitted before they only had newborn nappies (up to a siz2) she's a size 5
There are a few things like Sainsbury's local open but I don't want to leave her again.

Thank you for the well wishes.

Crunchymum Sun 11-Aug-19 22:09:43

Given the fact DC is going to have a laxative (and the main thing you'll need but forgot is clean nappies shock) then you need to go to Sainsburys.

Crunchymum Sun 11-Aug-19 22:11:32

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

TheFatberg Sun 11-Aug-19 22:16:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HebeMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 11-Aug-19 22:53:36

Evening, everyone. Just a reminder that we ask people not to troll hunt on Mumsnet. If you have any concerns, please just drop us a line. Thanks.

tyerd Sun 11-Aug-19 23:57:36

Lol are people accusing me of being a troll? grin
I've been on Mumsnet for years, hilarious.

WellLetsSayHesSquare Wed 14-Aug-19 16:21:28

Is there anyone else on the ward with a similar sized baby? We are regulars and a few times I have offered nappies etc to people who arrive with nothing. Once you get a supply delivered you can return them.

Nesssie Wed 14-Aug-19 16:24:15

I think people are confused because the obvious thing to do is pop back out and get some nappies? Not a big deal, shes obviously going to be supervised and looked after in the hospital.

Troels Wed 14-Aug-19 16:44:41

Is it a general hosppital? worst comes to worst, they can go and get a few small adult wraps or pads from an adult ward, they'll wrap around her twice practically poor kid.

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 09:40:42

I think people are confused because the obvious thing to do is pop back out and get some nappies? Not a big deal, shes obviously going to be supervised and looked after in the hospital.

By someone she doesn't know? When I've never been without her? When she's poorly and crying for her mum? It's not that difficult.
And no, I couldn't pop out and get some, I'd have to go all the way home. It was Sunday.

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 09:41:59

@WellLetsSayHesSquare
@Troels

Thank you for the suggestions. She has some now. We're still in hospital.

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 09:43:27

Given the fact DC is going to have a laxative (and the main thing you'll need --*but forgot-- is clean nappies* *) then you need to go to Sainsburys.*

Why are you so shocked thaf I forgot nappies?

Nesssie Thu 15-Aug-19 13:40:17

But what was the other option? Let your daughter shit herself everywhere?

No its not ideal, but you left her once to go home, you can leave her again.

Anyway, I'm glad its been sorted and I hope she recovers soon.

SomethingNastyInTheBallPool Thu 15-Aug-19 13:54:32

Whenever DD was admitted as a baby, the hospital always had nappies (and, in fact, preferred to use theirs if they were weighing them to monitor urine output). If your DD is on a children’s ward, I’d be really surprised if they didn’t have some in larger sizes than newborn.

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 14:39:28

But what was the other option? Let your daughter shit herself everywhere?

No. Use the few nappies we had and pop to the shop when it opens. There were no nurses that could sit with her for an hour again. They have other patients.

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 14:40:55

@SomethingNastyInTheBallPool They don't have any left in that size. She is getting very strong laxatives. Changing nappies every 15 mins.
Name change fail Oh well.

flamingjune123 Thu 15-Aug-19 15:20:26

Dear OP, the staff will have no choice but to look after your DD if you need to go out again. It doesn't matter how many patients they have, your DD is one of them and nurses really can't rely on parents doing 24 hour a day care. I speak from being in hospitals for 18 years with my own DD so please know this comes from a place of understanding. Many parents are not able to stay 24 hours a day and some are not even able to visit every day ( eg a single parent with a younger baby) I wish you well and you may find that a break this evening to pop out will give you a breather

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 15:52:05

@flamingjune123
Thank you.
I was allowed to take her off the machine for a while and took her with me to the shop to get some nappies.
They already have small babies with no parents, they are in cots, we are in a bed which may be influencing their decision.

00100001 Thu 15-Aug-19 15:55:50

so...you know nobody else in the entire world that could buy you some nappies? confused

flamingjune123 Thu 15-Aug-19 15:59:35

00100001 stop being so spiteful, OP will have enough to contend with right now

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 17:07:14

so...you know nobody else in the entire world that could buy you some nappies?

Let's see. I'm a single parent. Her dad is abusive. I moved away from all my family and friends. I don't work and have never worked in this area so I don't know anyone.
So, no, I don't. Unless you're offering then your comment is pointless.

00100001 Thu 15-Aug-19 17:10:27

So you just sit in isolation all day long with a baby?confused

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 17:16:00

*So you just sit in isolation all day long with a baby?*

Gosh, you're right because you must have company to leave the house. God forbid people having independence.

timeforawine Thu 15-Aug-19 17:18:45

How is she OP?

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 17:20:14

@timeforawine thanks for asking. She's just pulled her ng tube out grr. She's a little better today but it's proving difficult trying to change her over from ng to oral.

timeforawine Thu 15-Aug-19 17:38:54

Cheeky monkey grin how old is she? Hope she's on the mend very soon and you get some rest

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 17:44:52

@timeforawine she's 11 months.
Very cheeky. Now she's putting her socks on, I think she's ready to go home!

timeforawine Thu 15-Aug-19 17:46:17

grin knows what she wants 😂

timeforawine Thu 15-Aug-19 17:46:57

Mine always pulled her bloody socks off! Thank god for sock-on's gringrin

snuffles93 Thu 15-Aug-19 17:50:42

People are so cruel! I'm glad you managed to get some nappies and your little girl is on the mend. I don't understand how people can be so heartless - obviously you didn't want to leave your sick child! I think that's completely understandable... as is forgetting to grab nappies when you were obviously rushing and in a bit of a flap! Xx

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 17:53:25

@timeforawine for some reason she liked putting everything on - shoes, socks, clothes, my shoes

timeforawine Thu 15-Aug-19 17:55:44

Haha mines 3 and always tries to steal my shoes, its so cute. It'll be make up next......

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 17:56:47

@snuffles93 thank you thanks
Exactly, I've never left her before and she's ill so very upset. And yes I forgot the nappies by the door, I was rushing to get back in time. Typical me x

SinkGirl Thu 15-Aug-19 17:58:07

I think people are confused because the obvious thing to do is pop back out and get some nappies?

Some people here obviously haven’t been in a children’s ward recently. At ours there has to be an adult with them 24/7 - no popping yo Sainsbury’s or to get food, so if no one can bring you food you don’t eat. I spent 11 nights sleeping in a chair without a proper meal or a proper shower since the nurses would get annoyed if I took more than two minutes.

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 18:03:37

@timeforawine Ah the dreaded make up grin

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 18:04:34

@SinkGirl yes this. No one has told me they are here to supervise my child and they have to do so. There's like one nurse to 2 bays of 8-10 beds

Toddlerteaplease Thu 15-Aug-19 18:11:37

Just ask the nurses for some. Well happily give you them!

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 18:12:55

@Toddlerteaplease rtft. They don't have any in her size. I took her to Sainsbury's and got some myself

Kittykat93 Thu 15-Aug-19 18:22:42

What is wrong with people? Can't we offer support to a worried and upset mother who's young child is in hospital? Jesus.

Hope she is okay op and on the mend soon. flowersflowers

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 18:23:17

@Kittykat93 Thank you my love 💞

youarenotkiddingme Thu 15-Aug-19 18:30:10

People really do like to stick the boot in when someone's down shockangry

Let's hope none of you find yourselves alone and worried in a hospital with an ill child.

Glad she's perking up. What a little minx with the tube! But also good she's feeling well enough to assert her personality.

IamEarthymama Thu 15-Aug-19 18:33:03

It's like another world isn't it?
A small enclosed world too.
A world filled with worry and fear.

I hope you are soon home with a healthy little girl.
I am sure you will make friends as you settle into your new home and community.

Itsonlytuesdayqwer Thu 15-Aug-19 18:34:17

Hope she is okay OP, sounds really stressful for all concerned. Make sure you get the support you need too, must be hard having a poorly child in hospital 🌺🌺

picklemepopcorn Thu 15-Aug-19 18:42:50

When your child is poorly in hospital, it's hard to think as clearly as you'd like.

I hope she's fighting fit soon, and your both home safe and sound.

SoyDora Thu 15-Aug-19 19:02:34

00100001 why have you taken such offence to the OP?

Toddlerteaplease Thu 15-Aug-19 19:37:55

@tyerd they'll have bigger pads for special needs kids. Ask for a small one of those. We go right up to adult size.

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 19:41:48

@Toddlerteaplease
Please rtft.
They do not have any. I took my child to Sainsbury's and bought her some myself.

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 19:43:18

@SoyDora I presume @00100001 is one of them people with little experience of the harsh realities life can bring and is genuinely shocked that people can and do cope alone because they have never had to.

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 19:44:35

@youarenotkiddingme @IamEarthymama @Itsonlytuesdayqwer @picklemepopcorn thank you guys for your comments smile
Hopefully we'll be home in our comfy bed too. She's just ripped out her cannula now. shock today is not the day. grin

OoohMasala Thu 15-Aug-19 19:48:09

Hi OP. I'm just out of an abusive relationship. I have anxiety because of it and have struggled to leave my young baby because he was not safe with his dad. It makes I very hard to leave them. My son was in hospital when he was 4 months old and I had to be told off by the nurse and made to leave his bedside. I totally get it. Please don't best yourself up. You are already amazing for having left an abusive relationship, and you can tell from your post just how much you love your baby. Wishing a speedy recovery. Ignore mean posters.

OoohMasala Thu 15-Aug-19 19:50:11

*beat

tyerd Thu 15-Aug-19 20:13:34

@OoohMasala Sorry to hear this. I hope you've managed to heal and your baby is now doing better?
Thank you so much for your kind message. Xx

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »