Talk

Advanced search

How to make your house smell amaaazing (on a budget!!)

(51 Posts)
Rory786 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:40:11

We recently had a leak so have a horrible damp smell in the house, any tips for making the house smell nice. TIA

Scruffalicious Sat 10-Aug-19 18:44:36

Pop a couple of tsp of vanilla essence in the oven and turn it on. Don't get it wrong, though...

SomeAfternoonDelight Sat 10-Aug-19 18:35:57

About the bicarbonate idea is it okay for ALL soft furnishings? Rugs, carpets, fabric sofa etc? x

aintnutinchanged Sat 10-Aug-19 18:29:18

Zoflora is my bestie

Pineappleunder Sat 10-Aug-19 18:16:22

Dehumidifier.
Then put a few drops of essential oil (I use lemongrass) on the air filter of your vacuum cleaner. Prevents the horrible vacuum smell and makes the house smell so fresh every time you clean.

GooodMythicalMorning Sat 10-Aug-19 18:15:17

windows open and dehumidifier are the best ideas but a bath bomb hidden about smells amazing.

Fragalino Sat 10-Aug-19 18:13:40

Agree use natural oils

evilharpy Sat 10-Aug-19 18:10:30

I really love my diffuser and essential oils. There are lots of recipes on pinterest for different smelling blends.

Dieu Sat 10-Aug-19 18:01:47

I think you can also add bicarbonate of soda to the idea above. So fabric softener, water and BOS. Helps eliminate bad odours. My favourite is the blue Lenor, but the Lenor Gold is also lovely smile

Whitecandle Sat 10-Aug-19 17:31:25

Put fabric softener in a spray bottle with water (2/3 fabric softener, 1/3 water) and spray al soft furnishings.

My fave is Lenor gold 😊

Soontobe60 Sat 10-Aug-19 16:52:40

You need to dry the damp out rather than trying to mask the smell. I'd second getting a dehumidifier. With the weather we are having at the moment, the air is unusually humid even when it's hot.
I'd suggest putting a lavender plant in your house, or lavender essential oil on kitchen roll around the house whilst you're away. Don't use manufactured smells.

JingsMahBucket Sat 10-Aug-19 16:48:12

What’s your budget? You can get nice scent/stick diffusers in John Lewis for about £15. I’d also focus on killing the damp. Get the industrial bleach spray from a hardware store and spray that directly on to the affected surfaces 5 min before before you leave. Shut the door to the room and block the bottom with towels if you can so the bleach can work its way into the walls, etc.

Doobigetta Sat 10-Aug-19 16:21:47

Buy oils and rub on radiators and light bulbs

Putting essential oils on naked light bulbs is a really good way of starting a fire.

Rory786 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:58:13

Thanks everyone, great ideas. I'm leaving for a short break so will try a few ideas (not the open windows!) and hopefully will come home to a tidy and fragrant house!

FiveLittlePigs Sat 10-Aug-19 14:56:46

Open the windows. We have our bedroom windows open all year round. Downstairs windows are usually open when we're at home.

Alsohuman Sat 10-Aug-19 14:49:56

You know those huge bars of soap you get in TK Maxx? There’s one tucked behind every radiator in our house. Works a treat.

ParkheadParadise Sat 10-Aug-19 14:49:04

Definitely Open Windows.
Every morning its the first thing I do.
I also like reef diffusers from next.

TapasForTwo Sat 10-Aug-19 14:47:33

This happened to us recently. The key is to get rid of the damp first. We already owned a dehumidifier and ran it all day every day for several days. We then enjoyed a lot of warm, dry weather so had the door and window open a lot. I put a reed diffuser in the kitchen to cover up the smell as well.

Happily the floor has dried out now and the smell has gone.

wontletmelogin Sat 10-Aug-19 14:46:30

Not that cheap but the best thing we have is a Yankee Candle electric wax melt warmer. Buy one of their wax melt pots then when it's done empty it out and use cheaper wax melts in it! I buy mine from Etsy.

JoxerGoesToStuttgart Sat 10-Aug-19 14:45:02

You can make your own reed diffusers with essential oils and a carrier oil pretty cheaply.

Strugglingtodomybest Sat 10-Aug-19 14:44:58

Depends what you mean by nice. I like it to smell of nothing but fresh air, so have the windows open a lot.

AiryFairyMum Sat 10-Aug-19 14:43:26

Windows open as much as you can.

caranx Sat 10-Aug-19 14:43:07

Open windows if its as windy at yours as here today.

GreenTulips Sat 10-Aug-19 14:42:25

Buy oils and rub on radiators and light bulbs

doadeer Sat 10-Aug-19 14:41:44

One of those mist diffusers as you can just keep getting new oils and they never run out? Amazon do good ones for £20 plus they look relaxing

wendz86 Sat 10-Aug-19 14:41:12

Haven’t done it myself but there is the tip to rub a bit of fabric softener on radiators and then turn them on .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »