Talk

Advanced search

Whatsapp question: Can I put phone in airplane mode, read a message, exit whatsapp and put internet back on - still unread?

(13 Posts)
LettuceBeFree Fri 19-Jul-19 19:48:33

Whatsapp question: Can I close whatsapp, put my phone in airplane mode, read a new message that I received before going into airplane mode, exit whatsapp and put internet back on - would the message still show as unread to the other person? or would that only work until I put the internet back on?

P.S I know I could turn off read receipts but I'd rather not for other reasons.

cheezy Fri 19-Jul-19 19:51:50

You need to do an experiment with a friend

coconuttelegraph Fri 19-Jul-19 19:57:00

I believe that does work but I haven't tested it myself

purplecorkheart Fri 19-Jul-19 20:01:57

I have read it works about a year ago bimut never tested it out. As has been suggested test out on a friend or family member

Bringmewineandcake Fri 19-Jul-19 20:03:06

I did this a few months back but my friend told me she could see I’d read her message. I wasn’t avoiding her btw...was ignoring someone else 😁

PearlHeart3 Fri 19-Jul-19 20:03:34

No, it changes to read once you've connected back on to the internet. Are you using an iPhone or an Android phone?

SandunesAndRainclouds Fri 19-Jul-19 20:05:17

I’ve just tried it with DH. It shows as delivered but unread - so there’s two grey ticks which haven’t turned blue.

Blankspace4 Fri 19-Jul-19 20:06:15

Yes. If you put your phone in airline mode before you open WhatsApp (I tend to give it a few seconds too) - open, read message, and fully close the app (swipe up) before taking out of airline mode.

I’ve used it occasionally and strategically and never been busted (I don’t think!!)

SandunesAndRainclouds Fri 19-Jul-19 20:06:16

But if he swipes to the left for message info it shows as read, just no time beside it.

WeShouldOpenABar Fri 19-Jul-19 20:07:11

Don't over complicate things! I added the WhatsApp widget to my home screen, the messages are viewable there without you actually going in to "read" them so no one knows you have. Works a treat i recommend it to all.

LettuceBeFree Fri 19-Jul-19 20:25:24

Thanks everyone so far.

@WeShouldOpenABar What do you mean by "whatsapp widget"? I do get a notification and can swipe down my notification bar on iPhone when I get a new whatsapp message and can see the first few lines in that preview but not the entire message if it's a lengthy one. Would the widget have the same issue?

LettuceBeFree Fri 19-Jul-19 20:25:51

@PearlHeart3 iPhone.

WeShouldOpenABar Fri 19-Jul-19 20:35:45

Ah I'm on android so don't know if you can do it. If I hold down on the home screen I get option for widgets if I choose it I can pick widgets for a lot of my apps. I can read whole conversations without looking at the app.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »