Agreed. Thank God!

Atalune Fri 19-Jul-19 14:54:58

What is it?

Fibbke Fri 19-Jul-19 14:55:54

Is it!!! Fantastic stuff

gamerchick Fri 19-Jul-19 14:58:54

Painkillers that make you float?

ineedaknittedhat Fri 19-Jul-19 15:09:01

All it has in it is paracetamol, codeine, caffeine and an antihistamine. Not much different to cocodamol. You can buy sedating antihistamines for sleep.

Cocolapew Fri 19-Jul-19 15:44:50

It's the only thing that actually lifts my tension headaches. Co codamol does nothing for me.
I tried the separate anti histamine but it never worked.

DonPablo Fri 19-Jul-19 15:46:37

I know! Fanbloodytastic.

The only thing that works for my headaches.

Aworldofmyown Fri 19-Jul-19 15:48:13

I saw it on the counter in sainsbury and wondered if it was back in its old form.
Great news!

probstimeforanewname Fri 19-Jul-19 17:49:35

I took it years ago for tension headaches and couldn't keep my eyes open. Certainly work great as a sedative...

cornstarch Fri 19-Jul-19 18:15:42

Ooh lovely 😊

Cocolapew Fri 19-Jul-19 18:31:17

I've just woken up after Syndol induced nap. I forgot I used to take 1 then wait an hour if I needed another!
My horrendous headache is gone though smile

Sadie789 Fri 19-Jul-19 18:33:21

This is the best news I’ve heard in ages!

PolkadotLollipop Fri 19-Jul-19 18:35:13

These threads always worry me. Codeine abuse and addiction is a real problem. I do think that threads like these attract posters with issues around it.

PolkadotLollipop Fri 19-Jul-19 18:35:48

And yes, even the 8mg codeine can be a problem.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Fri 19-Jul-19 18:37:12

This is excellent news. How will I know if I'm getting the 'real' stuff?

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Fri 19-Jul-19 18:38:11

And I have absolutely no 'addiction' or chance of it. It's just that when I do get a raging migraine, real Syndol is the only thing that used to fully help .

Sadie789 Fri 19-Jul-19 18:57:06

Well @PolkadotLollipop perhaps you’re not plagued by cluster headaches and migraines.

I’m not addicted to anything and I’m a grown adult who can temper my consumption of over the counter medicines to well below the recommended amount.

Thanks for your concern all the same.

Likethebattle Fri 19-Jul-19 19:17:56

I was off work after losing a parent and the gp had suggested syndol to help me sleep. I took them about 11am and texted husband to say ‘i’m Really not tired’ the next thing I knew it was 6pm and I was woken up by DH coming home from work.

Cocolapew Fri 19-Jul-19 19:19:00

I use it very occasionally, I get an awful headache that goes down into my neck and shoulders.
Syndol helps like no other. I take it maybe once every few months.
Remus it had a sign with it saying it was the original one back on the market. It's the one with doxylomine in it.

RemusLupinsBiggestGroupie Fri 19-Jul-19 19:22:59

Thanks, Coco. I'm adding it to my weekend shopping list. smile

stoplickingthetelly Fri 19-Jul-19 19:36:56

Really! This has made my day. Only thing that used to shift my really bad headaches.

PolkadotLollipop Fri 19-Jul-19 19:48:42

I am actually, Sadie. I have had complex migraine since I was 17, I’m 41 now. I’ve been under a neurologist for them for the past 15+ years after my GP had exhausted all their options.

PolkadotLollipop Fri 19-Jul-19 19:50:46

I’m glad you’ve found a way to manage your pain, coco.

TowandaForever Fri 19-Jul-19 19:59:40

How do I know which is the original and not the other stuff?

Cocolapew Fri 19-Jul-19 20:05:13

Towanda it will probably have a sign with it. I was in the chemist getting a prescription and saw the poster, it also had a sign on the shelf with it.

Cocolapew Fri 19-Jul-19 20:05:40

Thanks Polkadot smile

picklemepopcorn Fri 19-Jul-19 20:15:09

How much caffeine is there? I generally avoid caffeine, but would love to try these.

Sadie789 Fri 19-Jul-19 20:21:40

Well @PolkadotLollipop, snap.

As you well know most of the migraine “solutions” are preventative/corrective rather than painkillers. So you should empathise with people who have found an effective painkiller to work alongside migraine meds. Rather than patronise with a reference to people being addicts.

Aworldofmyown Fri 19-Jul-19 20:24:44

Polka you can still buy Co-codomol, the difference in this is the sedative effect. The codeine isn't why they removed it from sale.

And I do agree, i'm not sure people realise how addictive codeine is, I ended up with an addiction to it after of agonising toothache. The withdrawal was hideous and I was so shocked when I realised it was stopping taking the co-codomol tablets once my tooth was sorted.

Rachelover40 Fri 19-Jul-19 21:24:53

Thanks for telling us, op. I used to use it years ago and it was good. Have now ordered some online.

AhhhHereItGoes Fri 19-Jul-19 21:46:04

10mg codeine
450mg paracetamol
5mg doxylomine
30mg caffeine

I'm going to have to give these a try. Around every 6 weeks I get a headache like a migraine with nausea and body aches. Noise is unbearable, so is light. Co codamol helps a bit as makes me a little tired but this would be good to just knock me out/relieve the tension.

MontyBowJangles Fri 19-Jul-19 22:41:47

Strange that it has caffeine in it but knocks you out? I used to know a lady years ago and Syndol would be the only thing to help her crippling migraines.

Cocoabutterformula Fri 19-Jul-19 22:45:23

I can't believe they're back!! I had to do a double take. Been buying them from SA for last few years at about double the cost. Had given up hope. Yup the only things that shift (well help) with awful headaches.

iklboo Fri 19-Jul-19 22:50:19

Thanks OP. I don't get migraines often but when I do they can wipe me out for a couple of days. I may try these next time.

Yubaba Fri 19-Jul-19 22:50:55

They’ve been back for months, the original ones are in a dark blue box and the new formula is in a light blue box and are called syndol headache relief.
Migraleve is also back in sock in both pink and yellow.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 19-Jul-19 22:52:19

I'm still mourning Karvol capsules!

juneybean Fri 19-Jul-19 22:55:03

Omg really? It's been years hasn't it?? I have amitriptyline these days but that's fab news.

ThereWillBeAdequateFood Fri 19-Jul-19 23:01:23

Strange that it has caffeine in it but knocks you out

I was thinking the same Monty. What’s the caffeine for if it’s meant to sedate you?

BellatrixLeStrangest Fri 19-Jul-19 23:02:11

I had a family member who would buy this in boxes of 30 a week and take them regularly. Pretty sure they had a codeine addiction. Please everyone just be careful.

BellatrixLeStrangest Fri 19-Jul-19 23:03:24

Therewillbe caffeine helps the other elements work quicker

MorrisZapp Fri 19-Jul-19 23:07:15

Can you buy these just by asking the pharmacist, or will they ask you questions?

taylorowmu Fri 19-Jul-19 23:07:20

These threads always worry me. Codeine abuse and addiction is a real problem. I do think that threads like these attract posters with issues around it.

What do you mean 'attracts them'?

This thread isn't going to make a rats shit of a difference to anyone with a codeine addiction.

Cocolapew Fri 19-Jul-19 23:21:49

I've always just bought them Morris, they usually warn you about not taking them for more than 3 days.

Cocolapew Fri 19-Jul-19 23:26:17

If you gave a codeine addiction you can, and always could, buy big boxes of co codomol at the chemist.
There was a long thread on here when Syndol disappeared, I knew people used it for migraines.
This is why I posted, it wasn't some sort of signal to anyone with codeine addiction.

sweetkitty Fri 19-Jul-19 23:30:00

I’ll need to get some for the next crippling migraine too

wowfudge Fri 19-Jul-19 23:33:24

I've never found codeine worked for my migraines. I was prescribed a huge box of strong Zapain years ago when I was first diagnosed. It never really did more than take the edge off the pain and make me feel lousy. Sumatriptan though is amazing.

ThereWillBeAdequateFood Fri 19-Jul-19 23:36:52

Thanks bellatrix

DangerMouse17 Fri 19-Jul-19 23:37:16

Best news ever!! They were the only thing that worked for me and been really suffering without them. I will go and stock up tomorrow now 😂

Gingernaut Fri 19-Jul-19 23:39:01

Yay!

jessicawessica Fri 19-Jul-19 23:47:36

Thank goodness for that. Nothing else really touches the pain.

Kummerspeck Fri 19-Jul-19 23:54:44

When DD was revising at uni she had dreadful tension headaches and Syndol was the only thing that helped, to the point that I bought the doxylamine online from the USA to take with co-codamol when it became unavailable.
It is a good product when taken as directed for the shortest possible time

Apparently Migraleve Pink is back too although I'm not a fan of that

ByeByeMissAmericanPie Sat 20-Jul-19 07:07:36

I’ve been buying Doxylomine separately online. I take it as a sleep aid.

I discovered it accidentally when I first took Syndol for a particularly bad headache on the advice of a pharmacist. Luckily I’d just dropped the DC at school as I had to go home to bed!

Rachelover40 Sat 20-Jul-19 14:03:20

I have ordered two packets of Syndol on line. I used to have it years ago and it was good so am delighted it is back on the market in its original form. Before anyone says, I know it should not be used regularly for a long period because it can cause addiction, however I took a lot of Syndol at one time and had no problems.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »