Talk

Advanced search

Any tabloid speak you dislike?

(111 Posts)
LaMarschallin Thu 18-Jul-19 21:42:04

For me it's:
Adorable for anything that's quite nice
Stepping out - doesn't anybody just "go out" any more?
Blasting/Slamming - maybe just disagreeing with?
Flaunting

I know they're all normal words/expressions but, given journalists work with words, it all seems a bit cliched/lazy to me.

Fantababy Thu 18-Jul-19 23:00:22

I came on to say romped.

Also 'dubbed'. "...Dubbed 'the black widow' by others..."

Beast for sex offender.

ThatCurlyGirl Thu 18-Jul-19 23:48:10

"Three in a bed romp"
"Flaunts her (body part) in a (colour) bikini"
"(Person) and (Person) laugh of rumours of (rumour)"
"Struts her stuff"
"Latest squeeze"
"(Name) dons a (item of clothing"
"Epic wardrobe malfunction"

Disclaimer: I work in media but there are so many wanky phrases like this we'd never use when chatting out loud.

ThatCurlyGirl Thu 18-Jul-19 23:49:52

Oh and "frugal (celeb name) recycles (designer name) dress"

Mate if it cost a few grand, wearing it twice is not frugal. And it's not recycling, it's just wearing it more than once. Only ever used in relation to women too. Grr!

ThatCurlyGirl Thu 18-Jul-19 23:50:50

*laugh OFF

the shame blush

TremoloGreen Thu 18-Jul-19 23:56:57

Why do they give everyone's ages?? And yes to the house value...
TremoloGreen, 42 and her husband MRGreen, 50, who live in a cottage worth £xxx...
I suppose so the readership can make a snap judgement about who the people are before they go on to sneer at whatever aspect of their lives is being trotted out for their entertainment.

Referring to women as 'mother-of-two' when it has n relevance t the story

"A sex act" or "performing a sex act" always makes me cringe too. It just sounds more suggestive/obscene than whatever it is meant to cover up for some reason.

Iamthewombat Fri 19-Jul-19 00:00:06

I always enjoy the phrase ‘love rat’. I know that you asked for phrases we hate but everybody else beat me to ‘steamy romps’ and ‘tragic tot’.

Iamthewombat Fri 19-Jul-19 00:01:12

Also, did anyone, ever, say ‘love nest’ unironically?

ThatCurlyGirl Fri 19-Jul-19 00:13:30

Oh and "speaking from their £425,000 home in Surrey..." after doorstepping a family going through a tragedy. Cringe every time I see that, so irrelevant!

JamieVardysHavingAParty Fri 19-Jul-19 00:55:36

God yes, about the 'flaunting' of bumps.

It's such a nasty little social narrative there. Any famous woman who dares to be seen outside in something that isn't an actual tent is showing off their pregnancy, apparently. Not just getting on with life, oh no.

ProudAunty2nine Fri 19-Jul-19 04:10:23

Hero's

doesn't seem to take much to be a hero these days

Havingarethink Fri 19-Jul-19 04:41:07

Buzzfeed and other gossipy magazine type are very fond of the word
shade or shaded
to imply someone has insulted someone else on twitter.

Wincarnis Fri 19-Jul-19 06:06:40

A red lip.
Just the one, then....

“Welcoming” a baby. Gives me a mental image of formal introductions and handshaking

LemonMousse Fri 19-Jul-19 06:50:19

'A source close to (blah) said...' meaning we're just speculating here!

An annoying headline that stuck in my mind from years ago was 'Gloria Estefan BALLOONED to a MASSIVE nine and a half stone'

MrsBudd Fri 19-Jul-19 06:51:40

Revellers / revelling 🙄

myrtleWilson Fri 19-Jul-19 06:56:06

Another vote for "poured (herself) into the revealing dress"
Gal pal(s)
All grown up now - when leering over 16yr old ex Disney star

Sunnysidegold Fri 19-Jul-19 07:14:20

"bang on trend" drives me mad.

"Flaunts" especially when it's some celeb on holiday and they've taken pictures of them just hanging around on the beach. Sure everyone wears a swimsuit or bikini on the beach.

LaMarschallin Fri 19-Jul-19 08:12:43

"Jetting off" instead of just flying somewhere.

Bezalelle Fri 19-Jul-19 08:27:45

Yes to "revellers"! Always puts me in mind of medieval court jesters, when it's actually a gang of rheumy-eyed blokes in Newcastle town centre having a scrap.

chrislilleyswig Fri 19-Jul-19 09:32:43

Tabloids - flaunts her enviable pins

After a public break up. "Y shows X what he's missing". Alongside a photo of someone either glammed up or in a bikini.

Local papers are worse

Parking fines are always "slapped"
Minor mistakes are "blunders"
There is also provoked fury. Usually when one wee wifie is unhappy that the bin days have changed

and my least favourite "called for". As in MSP calls for council to look at blaaaah. Totally pointless

Iamthewombat Fri 19-Jul-19 10:24:20

Also, anybody criticising government policy or people’s choices always “warns”.

BMA warns Theresa May blah blah. Bonus points if accompanied by a picture of someone wearing glasses and with one finger extended.

ProfessorSlocombe Fri 19-Jul-19 10:44:19

A bugbear of mine is "loophole" - which implies that rather than having a parliament, courts, judges and lawyers, people should be judged by other people think (or in reality don't think in any degree) the law should be. There's no such thing as a "loophole" in law. There may be unintended consequences, and the passage of time might make some laws seem odd. It's still the law, and it's still what courts have to enforce.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Fri 19-Jul-19 10:48:18

I loathe the word "flaunting" when used in the way it is by the tabloids - any woman with any type of figure wearing any type of clothing is flaunting some aspect of herself.

I teach English so am used to getting classes to analyse different styles of writing. There used to be a certain skill to tabloid journalism - now it's just shite, lazy, illiterate crap.

chrislilleyswig Fri 19-Jul-19 12:23:27

Another I've seen twice today

"Sparks fears that ......"

OneFootintheRave Fri 19-Jul-19 12:27:25

So and so "slams" someone, rather than disagrees.

Couple in "crisis talks".

So and so "took to Facebook".

Or my favourite when the publish pure speculation....A huge lurid headline, then in small letters

"It has been claimed"

Oh yes, by who?

longearedbat Fri 19-Jul-19 12:32:02

Tots - I agree, only tabloids refer to children as tots.
The other one is 'panties' for knickers. So coy, and again, I have never heard someone use that word to describe their underwear.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »