Talk

Advanced search

Unusual City Break

(80 Posts)
LaLemonLa Thu 18-Jul-19 21:32:35

Looking for a city break (around 3 nights) for me and DP, were not romantic so we won't enjoy Rome/Florence but we did enjoy Naples.

I want to find a hidden gem grin

matahairyy Thu 18-Jul-19 21:33:55

I’m in Utrecht atm. And I love it. Prefer to Amsterdam

matahairyy Thu 18-Jul-19 21:34:35

Regensburg /Nuremberg and bamberg are lovely too

neighbourhoodwitch Thu 18-Jul-19 21:36:04

Santiago de compostela, and stay in the parador!

sluj Thu 18-Jul-19 21:36:51

Ghent in Belgium

Herefortheduration Thu 18-Jul-19 21:41:47

Scandinavia, lots of great places. You could go to the bigger cities or branch out a little.

Lifeisdinky Thu 18-Jul-19 21:46:40

So many interesting places to choose from , Lviv , in Ukraine but feels like very pretty Polish or German Town (but cheaper if that helps),
Budapest lots to see, boat trips, and thermal baths (outdoor as well as indoor options),
Lisbon, fantastic city for people watching and great food,
Seville, wander around streets near the Cathedral - lots of wine and tapas bars as well as shops and museums etc.
Leipzig - former East German city, great bars, interesting city and great cafe culture
Plenty more choices, these are my current favourites

Cailinnua Thu 18-Jul-19 21:48:13

Malaga is a brilliant city. Nothing like the resorts close by

Padiana Thu 18-Jul-19 21:50:12

Ljubljana is great! Enough to see for 2-3 days and very walkable (car-free centre). I also fancy Belgrade, big have never been there.

PolarBearOnARaft Thu 18-Jul-19 21:51:38

We loved Zagreb, great food amazing history, gritty neighbourhoods, brilliant architecture.

Tallinn was amazing, food, history, coffee shops and bars. And so pretty.

Berlin, history, walking, food not so much.

InspirationUnavailable Thu 18-Jul-19 21:51:48

Also came on to recommend Ljubljana - lovely compact city. It’s the ideal size for a short break. Ditto Zagreb, but we preferred Ljubljana.

Lisbon and Porto are both lovely.

monsieurmarius Thu 18-Jul-19 21:52:09

Porto in Portugal we really enjoyed.
Also Strasbourg was fun and a bit unusual being so German in France.

stucknoue Thu 18-Jul-19 21:56:12

Look online for cheap flights and go explore, some of the nicest places I've been are by chance driving through on road trips that I would not have heard of.

Lifeisdinky Thu 18-Jul-19 21:56:36

So many places that are great
Liviv (Ukraine), great town, cafe culture, great bars and restaurants, feels like a really pretty Polish or German town.
Seville, great city, lots of lovely little wine and tapas bars around the old town (near the Palace) and plentry of museums and gallery's if that is your thing
Lisbon, great for people watching, places to eat, trips to Cascais, Estoril and Belem for custard tarts (mmmn)
Budapest - boat trips on the Danube, great bars and the thermal spa baths
Leipzig, great town in Eastern Germany, great bars (craft beer) and a bit of a different vibe.
Belgrade - much fewer tourists but really nice city, great bars and restaurants and good to walk around.
These are my current favourites

Lifeisdinky Thu 18-Jul-19 22:03:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Greenteandchives Thu 18-Jul-19 22:03:35

Riga is interesting especially if you like art nouveau architecture.

Lifeisdinky Thu 18-Jul-19 22:04:24

Reporting my duplicate posts, sorry

wonkylegs Thu 18-Jul-19 22:09:40

Granada is beautiful but very hot at this time of year and is not really different
Berlin is fab and one of my favourites
As is Bergen
Annecy was lovely but we only passed through although I felt we could have stayed longer than the couple of hours we had lunch and a wander.
My dad has recently been to Tbilisi which he said was fascinating

Crunched Thu 18-Jul-19 22:11:00

Milan or Düsseldorf...

Loveislandaddict Thu 18-Jul-19 22:13:01

Lille
Budapest

Chernobyl!!

ElloBrian Thu 18-Jul-19 22:14:43

Marseille.

timeforakinderworld Thu 18-Jul-19 22:17:08

Trieste

magimedi Thu 18-Jul-19 22:28:36

Wigan.

WhyDoesItAlways Thu 18-Jul-19 22:36:42

If it's winter time I would definitely recommend rejkavic (sp). Northern lights, blue lagoon, island tours, lovely safe city to wander.

I've always wanted to go to Gdansk or Mykonos but that's only because I think they have funny names.

Teaandsugar Thu 18-Jul-19 22:38:57

fly to Milan and visit Parma and Cremona.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »