Talk

Advanced search

What would happen with a pre-op in this situation?

(6 Posts)
OhMyGodTheyKilledKenny Fri 12-Jul-19 19:53:39

If your DC is due to go away to uni in September but is due to have an op at a hospital back home during the uni holidays at some point what would happen about a pre-op?

For post-op recovery they would need the op as soon as they break-up for Xmas or Easter so could a pre-op be done the day before an op for example? Or would they have to travel back beforehand just for a pre-op?

Thanks

Flowersmakemyday Fri 12-Jul-19 21:49:37

They usually do the pre-op a few weeks before the operation, mine was 4 weeks prior to it. I'm a mature uni student and have been pushing for my op to happen at the beginning of the summer holidays. I had it two days ago which leaves me plenty of time for recovery.

OhMyGodTheyKilledKenny Fri 12-Jul-19 22:01:16

Thanks Flowers. Hope you have a speedy recovery!

It sounds as if it was quite straightforward because you live near uni and hospital

What would have happened though if you were at uni a long way from home and where you were having the op?

LookImAHooman Fri 12-Jul-19 22:06:22

Is this NHS?

I’ve never heard of a pre-op for a planned procedure being done so close to the event and while you can ask, I certainly wouldn’t expect it to be possible.

I was in exactly the same situation at uni and had to come back for pre-op. Roughly a two-hour journey. I can see how it would be more inconvenient if eg. DC is at St Andrews and from Cornwall.

NoBaggyPants Fri 12-Jul-19 22:11:26

She'd be expected to come back when her appt is scheduled. That's unlikely to be a day before the op.

She can request e.g. For the OP/ appointments to be in the holidays, but it's more likely she'll be scheduled according to where she is on the list.

OhMyGodTheyKilledKenny Sat 13-Jul-19 08:49:26

Yes it is NHS.

Travel back will be a pain as the uni course is essentially full-time but I guess if it's the only option that will have to be the case.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »