Talk

Advanced search

Boris, is it a foregone conclusion then?

(46 Posts)
Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 13-Jun-19 13:28:09

114 votes first ballot, say ahead of rivals .
Is it decided already?

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 13-Jun-19 13:29:36

*way ahead

Cheesecake53 Thu 13-Jun-19 13:40:02

I'd say not really as all who voted not for him together are more than 114. But then I am an optimist.

Unshriven Thu 13-Jun-19 13:41:20

It's like Brexit all over again.

Boris is acting like a man who'd really rather not win.

sockatoe Thu 13-Jun-19 13:44:46

It's hard to say. The bookies rarely lose and the odds would indicate Boris. That said, the Tory party may well try to vote strategically and have someone who will manage to keep them out of trouble until the next general election, as opposed to the Labour members who voted in Corbyn as a protest, thus rendering their party unelectable.
And before I get slated, I hold both main parties in equal contempt

WineCheeseSleep Thu 13-Jun-19 13:45:44

I think it is unfortunately

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 13-Jun-19 13:48:47

I don't see how anyone could make up that much ground after such a strong first ballot.

SingingLily Thu 13-Jun-19 13:59:02

Pretty much. All he has to do now is to hold on to the MPs votes he has now and he will make it through to the final two (105 votes required for this). Once in the final two, Conservative Party members will vote - and poll after poll, plus regular monthly surveys of bona fide party members via the Conservative Home website, confirm that Boris is the preferred candidate.

That could change if he makes a serious gaffe but from what I've read, his candidacy team are serious heavyweights this time and are steering the campaign very professionally.

JuneFromBethesda Thu 13-Jun-19 14:02:38

It's fucking depressing is what it is. Watching them all jostling for position to be the most bullish and aggressive no-deal candidate. Load of lemmings thundering over the cliff edge and dragging the rest of us with them angry

QueenBlueberries Thu 13-Jun-19 14:06:30

yes June, fucking depressing. When we thought it couldn't get much worst Boris will get in. It will now be a no deal Brexit. Fuck I need a glass of wine. And a plan.

MarshaBradyo Thu 13-Jun-19 14:09:44

I’d missed this

Interesting
Who else is in the running?

WellGoshDarnIt Thu 13-Jun-19 14:11:00

Hunt and Gove. All three equally despicable. So depressing.

WellGoshDarnIt Thu 13-Jun-19 14:11:59

But at least that horrible witch Esther McVey is out of the running.

tuxedocatsintophats Thu 13-Jun-19 14:14:51

Yes, I think it is.

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 13-Jun-19 14:17:46

When he resigned straight after the Brexit vote I just thought
You twat! I can't get my head around how anyone would think he's a future PM.
My dh thinks he will just be bullish like Trump and force things through because ultimately he doesn't give a shit about anyone's views but his own and as a result he might actually get stuff done.

Piccalino3 Thu 13-Jun-19 14:19:44

Boris, Hunt and Gove, I actually feel close to tears. Think I may go back trying to stay away from the news.

Iwannasnack Thu 13-Jun-19 14:25:26

Up until today I was consoling myself with the fact that the favourite has never won a Tory leadership. Looking at those numbers though it’s looking almost certain, barring a major fuck up. I thought he was unpopular with MPs but loved by party members so if he gets through to final 2 he’s done it.

weegiemum Thu 13-Jun-19 14:31:36

Fucking depressing. Only good bit is it makes Indyref2 come closer. Faster we get out of this failing union the better. My dc are all eligible to vote next time. They and their friends are all so anti-Boris that it will make you sing.

It's a difficult world to live in when you know Rory Stewart is getting voted out, so Jeremy Hunt is the good option. That or Gove. Scarey stuff!!

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 13-Jun-19 14:31:39

This is one of those occasions where you hope a national newspaper has been holding on to a story until the time is right...

Iwannasnack Thu 13-Jun-19 14:44:48

Sadly I can’t think of a story that would do it. He’s openly racist, sexist, incompetent and a nasty piece of work. It’s straight out of the trump handbook!

Ihopeyourcakeisshit Thu 13-Jun-19 14:48:03

So what the hell is his appeal?confused

Pedallleur Thu 13-Jun-19 14:52:24

Someone/somewhere must have a story that will bring him down. I dont want people's careers ruined but there is v.little about him that anyone seems to like. I notice that his buffoonery seems to have vanished.

SingingLily Thu 13-Jun-19 14:53:14

I thought he was unpopular with MPs but loved by party members so if he gets through to final 2 he’s done it.

That's a fair assessment, Iwannasnack, especially about his unpopularity with MPs. For some considerable time, there has been a "Stop Boris" movement at MP level. However, there are three factors that have concentrated their minds.

The first is the almost complete collapse of the Conservative vote in the Euro elections and in the Peterborough election. The second is that major donors to the party have been backing away and the coffers are a bit light. Only a Leaver is going to bring them back. And the third is that furious Conservative Party members have been holding their constituency MPs to account and made it clear that Boris had better be on the final ballot or there will be hell to pay.

Ultimately, even those MPs who can't abide Boris are sufficiently self-serving and arrogant enough able to read the runes and realise that if they want to hold onto their well paid jobs and generous expenses and gold plated pensions they need to give the members what they want. After all, those selfsame members will decide whether they are re-adopted as parliamentary candidates next time.

Sorry, did my cynicism show through a bit? 😁

SingingLily Thu 13-Jun-19 14:54:45

Also sorry but I crossed through the wrong bits! Dratted technology. Still, I'm sure it was still clear!

CrystalVisions Thu 13-Jun-19 14:59:23

But he's so cute and cuddly and always up for a laugh. What's not to love? And Trump likes him so we'll get a really good trade deal with America....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »