Talk

Advanced search

Is Farrow and Ball paint worth it?

(28 Posts)
MagpieTree Thu 13-Jun-19 11:34:57

Just that really. I’ve already spent a fortune on revamping the room, and wondering if the colour I love is worth spending the extra on, or just trying to match it up to dulux? Any thoughts?

Miniloso Thu 13-Jun-19 11:37:16

I highly recommend Johnstone’s paint, they will colour match any F&B shade (I’ve had 3 shades from them having had the original F&B and the match is spot on).

Johnstone’s is SO much cheaper, and the quality is fantastic, better imo than F&B!!

aPengTing Thu 13-Jun-19 11:40:56

F&B are crap. Go with minilosos suggestion .

hormonesorDHbeingadick Thu 13-Jun-19 11:42:26

Valspar and B and Q will colour match too. Just tell them which F&B colour you want and they will make it.

Bippertyboo2 Thu 13-Jun-19 11:47:25

My husband is a painter and decorator and he says absolutely not. He recommends Dulux, and Brewer's (if you have one in your area)will colour match it.

MagpieTree Thu 13-Jun-19 11:59:41

Thanks, that’s interesting. Just shows you don’t always get what you pay for.

MarshaBradyo Thu 13-Jun-19 12:00:57

I really like it so it’s worth it to me

But if you can’t notice the difference then no

onsen Thu 13-Jun-19 12:03:25

What everyone else has said. But the Little, Greene stuff is worth the money - it covers so well - and the colours are a bit more modern.

MarshaBradyo Thu 13-Jun-19 12:04:12

Btw painters and decorators always say that as it is harder to work with

But the finish is very nice

StateofIndependance Thu 13-Jun-19 12:06:39

When I researched this I read that Dulux match to their nearest available shade whereas Johnstone's match to the actual F&B colour. I've gone with Johnstones and been pretty happy. It's very good quality paint. The colour match seems better with some shades than others but it's hard to tell as I'm comparing a whole wall against a small sample.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 13-Jun-19 12:07:43

I’ve got it all downstairs, no problems and it still looks good 5 years later.

decisionsindecisions Thu 13-Jun-19 12:08:56

I like it and I have used other paints. I like the look of it when it's dried and I like using it because it goes on the wall nicely.

wonkylegs Thu 13-Jun-19 12:13:22

My father and brother swear by F&B however I think they are swayed by the label
Personally I always spec Dulux trade for my clients and my own projects, and have had some fabulous finishes and colours, and I've never had a decorator complain about using it. They also will colour match and mix, so don't think their standard range is all that's available.

INeedNewShoes Thu 13-Jun-19 12:13:49

I lived in a high end rental place with F&B on the walls. It was beautiful and a noticeably different finish to other paints I've seen. If money was no object maybe I would but it sounds as though there are good wallet friendly alternatives available.

wonkylegs Thu 13-Jun-19 12:14:42

You may need to go to a Dulux decorator centre (google) rather than a regular diy store

NannyRed Thu 13-Jun-19 12:14:45

I have a decorator, he is fab.
I asked him this exact question when he was here earlier this year. His advice was “it’s no better than any other decent paint. The only reason they get away with charging so much is they have a good choice of colours”
I went with B&Q paint in the end, very happy with my choice.

junenotoffred Thu 13-Jun-19 12:18:16

Definitely, I ran out of money after building work went massively over budget last year so got Valspar colour matched to F&B, biiiiig mistake - it might be expensive & a little more work when painting but, the finish is far superior to anything else I've used. I'm now saving up to have it re-done in proper F&B - which incidentally my decorator also prefers.

pinkcardi Thu 13-Jun-19 12:20:55

I think, personally, that the finish and depth of colour is better.

But I also think, from experience, that it is ridiculously expensive, very fragile (ie marks at the most minuscule of touches) and hard to work with.

I wouldn't use it again, despite how beautiful it is

moreismore Thu 13-Jun-19 12:24:01

Just a word of caution - google valspar and ‘ghost odour phenomenon’. I have had a problem with this and my sister- both valspar paint.

MagpieTree Thu 13-Jun-19 12:40:41

@moreismore omg just googled it shock

Badbilly Thu 13-Jun-19 13:07:31

Ever since I lived in Scotland in the 1980’s I have always tried to use Craig & Rose paints. I had never heard of them, but my friend introduced me to them . They were a bit more expensive than other paints, but were not extortionate. They were very very good.
However, nowadays they seem to be just as expensive as F & B.

Burpsandrustles Thu 13-Jun-19 17:03:07

I thought f and b was the depth of coulour and how that changes in different lights

WhatAGreatDay Thu 13-Jun-19 18:23:08

F&B own the names of the paints, but not the actual heritage colours (there was a court case, I believe). You can get the same colours mixed into normal paint.
We made the mistake of using Estate Emulsion once and it went grubby really quickly and it can't be wiped clean.

F&B Modern Emulsion is fine, but as I said, you can get the same colours for half the price.

Greywind1523 Thu 13-Jun-19 18:30:06

My decorator also said the quality is no better than trade paint from Crown Decorator Centre.

We took his advice on getting the colours matched and we’ve had nothing but positive comments about ours. A friend of DH who swears by F&B and recognised one of the colours said she wouldn’t have known the difference and her whole house is painted with it.

Maybe if you had them side by side you’d be able to tell but IMO it’s not worth the extra cost.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 13-Jun-19 18:33:37

Our local brewers says mylands is the best paint, then Johnstone’s.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »